Yaesu: FTM-7250DR, Is this normal? high squelch setting needed for VHF freqs

Status
Not open for further replies.

AI6VX

New FTM-7250DR user here! Just received it today, and loaded it up with local repeater freqs. Going to install it in my truck this weekend after I get my NMO mount stuff, but for now have it in the house, connected to my Tram 1480 base antenna.

Question for the group - is it normal to need a high squelch for VHF with this radio? UHF is stone quiet, but all my 2M channels show 4-5 bars of noise. Powering it from an Astron 35A linear so it's not from that. I don't have this noise on my other radios. I literally just swapped it out and plugged in my Kenwood TM-281A, then my Anytone 778UV, and both those radios go quiet with squelch setting of 1. Same antenna, coax, power supply, position in my shack. This FTM-7250DR, I have to use 9 out of 15. Seems excessive.

Is this normal for this model?

Dave

AI6VX

Today I drove into work with the radio sitting on the seat of my truck and a mag mount dual band on the roof. Once at work, 50 miles away, VHF is as quiet as UHF. I can use a squelch setting of 1-2. However, in between on the drive in, even with the squelch set at 10, it would occasionally open as I went by industrial buildings on the freeway. There's no 'interference noise' in the audio though - just white noise, so I don't know why it's opening squelch.

This radio isn't SDR based, so I wouldn't think out of band energy would affect its receive. And at the house, hitting the band switch, all the other receive bands allowed are quiet squelch wise except for the 2M ham band.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
My aftermarket Kenwood car stereo makes noise on VHF if I have it set any other mode but FM...

AI6VX

I drove into work with both the Yaesu FTM-7250DR and the Kenwood TM-281A to compare VHF squelch performance. Made a video between the two - this is with the truck off, mag mount dual band on the roof (2M/70cm). Video is a bit long. Notice how much quieter squelch is needed for 70cm, and in fact for all the other receive bands compared to 2M ham.

bill4long

I have a 7250 running on an external Diamond X-50 out on the back deck about 15ft up at the feed point.

UHF (446.000) requires the squelch to be at 1. VHF (146.52) requires 5.

AI6VX

Yaesu tech support got back to me, and after watching the video, said I should send the radio in to get the squelch re-aligned.

AI6VX

Sorry to belabor the issue, but I visited another ham today that owns the same radio and we compared the two. Mine is definitely different. Yay! Glad to have the confirmation.

Status
Not open for further replies.