Full Duplex Radio Communication Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElectroPulse

Hello, all!

My brother and I play airsoft, and I am looking into the idea of trying to get a couple of full duplex (that means you can talk and hear at the same time, correct?) walkie talkies/radios (not sure what to proper term is).

Also, what I am imagining for this sort of this is one person sending on, say, channel one, while they listen on channel two. The other person listens on channel one, and talks on channel two. Is this how this works? (I am not, by any stretch, knowledgable about walkie talkies/radios). Now, I realize that this would only work for two people, but that is what it is intended for. Also, I am guessing that the frequencies can be changed independently?

Anyway, I am wondering if you have any suggestions.

What we would like:
1. Price: ~$50 per unit (could go a little higher if necessary)
2. Decent sound quality
3. Decent range (while playing airsoft, we wouldn't need very much range, but for other uses it would be nice)
4. PTT capabilities (would like to have a button somewhere on my loadout, while my radio is safely tucked inside a protective pouch) - (Also, how do these work? Are there any kinds that actually start transmitting when you hit the button? Or do the radios listen for sound, and when you push the PTT button, it completes the circuit, sending sound to the radio? I've heard that there are delays with some types...)
5. Durable
6. Also, do any radios have encryption or anything? It would be nice if there was a way to make it so no one else could listen in on our comms... I'm guessing such radios would cost quite a bit, though. Also, how do Privacy Codes work?

Again, I am not knowledgable about radios and such, so feel free to impart any knowledge that you may have...

ALSO, one more quick question: From the limited contact I have had with walkie talkies in the past, it seems that they are able to communicate with one another between different bands... I am guessing that they work sorta like wifi? All using a set number of frequencies? Now, the question that come from this: The dumbed-down walkie talkies I have used in the past have channel 1, channel 2, etc... As I have been looking around, I see on the displays of a lot of these things like 94900 and stuff. Are the fancier radios able to communicate with the dumbed-down walkie talkies?

Anyway, this page seems to have the general idea of what I am looking for... no idea of quality or anything, though: http://forums.radioreference.com/amateur-radio-equipment/

Thanks!

Last edited:

prcguy

I don't believe what you want exists unless its custom made and the cost would be impressive. First off anything that transmits with more than maybe 50-100mw of power will drain batteries rather quickly when transmitting continuously in full duplex.

About the closest thing to your needs that I know of is some of the various license free FRS, MURS or Trisquare radios with headsets and VOX or voice operated transmit. In this mode as soon as you say anything into the mic the radio transmits for you then shuts off when the mic doesn't detect any sound.

If you want the coolest setup for Airsoft find a pair of military surplus Selex/Marconi PRC-343 or PRR radios. These are 2.4GHz 50mw spread spectrum radios a little larger than a pack of cigarettes with headsets, a PTT on the radio or they come with a wireless PTT button this size of an old Zippo lighter that you can stick to your Airsoft forearm.

The PRC-343s are fairly secure but if someone has one and the time they can go through the 256 security codes until they find your conversation. Be prepared to spend $300 to $400 these days since supplies seem to be thin at the moment.
prcguy

ElectroPulse

Thanks for the reply.

I'll look into the units you referred to...

Also, I accidentally copied the wrong link into the original post at the end there... the one I meant to link was this: VERO Dualband Full-Duplex Communication equipment

So it sounds like they may exist... Or is it a scam? (not sure about the reputation of the company). When I looked up a couple of the radios they had on that page, I didn't see any information elsewhere about full duplex.

Thanks!

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Also, I accidentally copied the wrong link into the original post at the end there... the one I meant to link was this: VERO Dualband Full-Duplex Communication equipment

There are two concerns that I would have with those radios. One is that it is likely that full duplex operation with those radios requires cross band operation... Transmit on UHF, receive on VHF, and vice versa with the other radio.

Other other cuase for concern is the actual operating frequencies. These radios appear to allow frequency selection over a wide range of frequencies that you really wouldn't want to be messing with. There are FRS and MURS frequencies you could operate on. Radios have to be certified for MURS and FRS operation, and I'm quite certain those radios are not.

There used to be Part 15 46/49 full duplex radios that had a very limited range that wer ein your price class. I don't know if any such animal is still available. The full duplex requirement severely limits your options.

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
Check out PELTOR and DAVID CLARK. They make what you are looking for. They use WIFI frequencies. They have a range of only about 300 yards. They are pricey....$1000 +. A common use of them is for wireless communications between the crew members on a fire truck or ambulance.

BB

alphonique

Hello, all!

My brother and I play airsoft, and I am looking into the idea of trying to get a couple of full duplex (that means you can talk and hear at the same time, correct?) walkie talkies/radios (not sure what to proper term is).

Also, what I am imagining for this sort of this is one person sending on, say, channel one, while they listen on channel two. The other person listens on channel one, and talks on channel two. Is this how this works? (I am not, by any stretch, knowledgable about walkie talkies/radios). Now, I realize that this would only work for two people, but that is what it is intended for. Also, I am guessing that the frequencies can be changed independently?

Anyway, I am wondering if you have any suggestions.

What we would like:
1. Price: ~$50 per unit (could go a little higher if necessary)
2. Decent sound quality
3. Decent range (while playing airsoft, we wouldn't need very much range, but for other uses it would be nice)
4. PTT capabilities (would like to have a button somewhere on my loadout, while my radio is safely tucked inside a protective pouch) - (Also, how do these work? Are there any kinds that actually start transmitting when you hit the button? Or do the radios listen for sound, and when you push the PTT button, it completes the circuit, sending sound to the radio? I've heard that there are delays with some types...)
5. Durable
6. Also, do any radios have encryption or anything? It would be nice if there was a way to make it so no one else could listen in on our comms... I'm guessing such radios would cost quite a bit, though. Also, how do Privacy Codes work?

Again, I am not knowledgable about radios and such, so feel free to impart any knowledge that you may have...

ALSO, one more quick question: From the limited contact I have had with walkie talkies in the past, it seems that they are able to communicate with one another between different bands... I am guessing that they work sorta like wifi? All using a set number of frequencies? Now, the question that come from this: The dumbed-down walkie talkies I have used in the past have channel 1, channel 2, etc... As I have been looking around, I see on the displays of a lot of these things like 94900 and stuff. Are the fancier radios able to communicate with the dumbed-down walkie talkies?

Anyway, this page seems to have the general idea of what I am looking for... no idea of quality or anything, though: Amateur Radio Equipment - The RadioReference.com Forums

Thanks!

Hi,

True full duplex radio systems are not widely available but those that do exist are based either on the DECT system, or some kind of proprietary protocol system. Advantages and disadvantages in all existing systems, including the hefty price tag given the limited availability and the very specific uses of these types of radios - mainly designed for professional/security/industrial/military type applications. One company that comes to mind that does not use DECT is based in Europe (bodysens sas) manufactures and markets such a system (not sure what they use) - APPI COM is their flag-ship full-duplex full-conference radio. It is configurable for up to three maybe four, with infinite listen-only capability built-into their radio terminals - compact credit-card sized, PTT accessories etc. Price could be reasonable if you do not need more than three in full-duplex (as is often the case given the difficulty in conversing whilst more than 4 people at once ...) + there is no base terminal as with the DECT systems. Range claimed to be close to 1000 yards and the radio band is license free ISM with an extensive range of audio accessories. You might wanna check it out if its available in your country. Hope this helps with your question

Cheers, Mike

scover5555

cell phones with unlimited minutes and bluetooth would work great as stated above. I have a Uniden cordless phone system that I bought at Staples a few years back that the phones have a feature that you can activate and use them as an intercom away from the base unit. Great for traveling with multiple cars, camping or anyplace else. No using minutes or worrying if you have cell coverage. They have a jack for headsets as well. Just call before the game and talk full duplex.

alphonique

cell phones with unlimited minutes and bluetooth would work great as stated above. I have a Uniden cordless phone system that I bought at Staples a few years back that the phones have a feature that you can activate and use them as an intercom away from the base unit. Great for traveling with multiple cars, camping or anyplace else. No using minutes or worrying if you have cell coverage. They have a jack for headsets as well. Just call before the game and talk full duplex.

Sounds great ! DECT phones have been around for a while. I have one too, but the range is abysmal < 100 yards compared to some other systems out there ... One of the advantages of the full duplex voice-com systems out there, is their ability to allow full conference, hands-free. That is there is no need to hold the terminal in your hand to talk, cause the accessories provided allow for hands-free operation. These accessories are also available with some walkies-talkies, but you still have to push the PPT to talk, so not hands-free after-all ! I guess that is why they are very much geared towards professional applications, where hands-free operation combined with natural conference mode conversation ability, relieves the constraints of walkies-talkies that might otherwise cause difficulties or even danger in doing the job in question, eg fire-fighters, nuclear technicians (in full gear), and all professionals requiring to concentrate on their main activity, rather than on the PTT when under stress & pressure during their day to day activities. Can you imagine a firefighter holding a hi-pressure nozzle inside a nearly collapsing building, reaching for the PTT, when mere seconds translates to life or death scenarios ?? They'd rather be using sign language or just yell out to be heard !

I guess if the range is not needed, nor the penetration capability through multiple structures, such as garages, basements, or shipping containers, multiple stories buildings etc. nor if comms security is an issue, then household bluetooth or dect phones are just dandy and readily available ;-)

Cheers, M

N2PYS

Premium Subscriber
There are also these Asian Part 90 radio's you can buy real cheap and program them yourself for FMRS or GMRS and for 48$ on the net you buy throat mics that are either VOX because the radios have that built in or you have a PTT that goes in your armpit them you just press one arm against your body when you want your teammate to hear you! its all available on Amazon.com! Good Luck

Peace

Status
Not open for further replies.