• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Full Spectrum Control Channel Scan vs. Non-Adjacent Site Search

Can someone explain the difference between Full Spectrum Control Channel Scan and Non-Adjacent Site Search in APX CPS. When would somebody use FSCC vs NASS. Can they use both at the same time?
From what I am reading online, it seems like FSCC is used for when you have a large trunking system and you don't want to program all the CC's into the radio, the radio will roam to a site without needing the CC programmed. What is NASS used for then? To me they seem similar.

KevinC

The big K
Super Moderator
Can someone explain the difference between Full Spectrum Control Channel Scan and Non-Adjacent Site Search in APX CPS. When would somebody use FSCC vs NASS. Can they use both at the same time?
From what I am reading online, it seems like FSCC is used for when you have a large trunking system and you don't want to program all the CC's into the radio, the radio will roam to a site without needing the CC programmed. What is NASS used for then? To me they seem similar.
Full spectrum scan should be a last resort. If your radio can't find a CC from either the adjacent site list or the last 10 CC's it saw it will start at the lowest frequency possible in whatever band the last CC was in and check every single frequency for a system ID/ WACN match. And every frequency it encounters that's busy when it checks will slow down the process.

If your system is multi-band (say VHF and 7/800) and the last CC was 700 but you are now in VHF coverage it could take forever to find the VHF CC.

Proper CC programming planning is a much better idea.

KevinC

The big K
Super Moderator
And before someone corrects me, I'm assuming the last 700 site you saw did not the VHF sites in the ACL.

kf8yk

Normally once a subscriber radio is affiliated the radio only checks adjacent sites, aka site neighbor frequencies as broadcast on the control channel of the current site for roaming decisions. Enabling non-adjacent site search instructs the radio to check both the adjacent site list and the pre-programmed control channel list.

Even if non-adjacent site search is enabled the subscriber will only resort to the pre-programmed control channel list if all the adjacent sites RSSI's are below the acceptable threshold. If this criteria is met the radio will check the pre-programmed control channel list once about every two minutes.

Full spectrum scan can be enabled with non-adjacent site search. Full spectrum scan starts if the site neighbor list & the pre-programmed control channel list fail to find a site to affiliate with.