Fulltime RV set-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

n8uw

Howdy! I'm kinda new and very old. I learned CW from my rich Uncle (Sam) in the 70's, got out and got a couple electronics degrees, and started Ham Radio a few years ago. I intend to travel full time in a couple years. I already set the RV up for HF amateur operations (HS1800, TS480HX) but I'd like to learn enough to set something up for listening on VHF and UHF, I'm studying this forum and other places. Right now, I'm thinking a dedicated antenna for the VHF ham bands, an Austin ferret general listening, and a flagpole or something with an LDPA on it to be used only when necessary. Also hoping the LDPA can help me hit cell service from remote camps. BCD996XT for scanning and trunk tracking, a VHF tri-band with wide receive for Ham and monitoring suppliment, and the RV should be set? My current Kenwood F6A for handheld Ham VHF, and maybe a handheld scanner for times where I want to hike out somewhere and set up a tent camp watching the ships go by or whatever. I use an Elecraft K1 and a wire in a tree for backwoods CW.

Should I wait a couple years, will the scanner technology advance rapidly to make this gear (specifically, the BCD996XT) obsolete by the time I get a lot of time with it? Better suggestions, especially for antennas? RV is a 27 foot Class C. The HF stuff works great, I use the RV chassis and the frames of my solar panels to give me a good ground.

Looks like a fun new world to explore, I will be reading a lot on here and this weekend I hope to fire up the shack in the house and the F6A and start to play. And listen to ya'll tell me how this 200W HF rig will melt the scanner first time I key down...and how to send CW left handed while motorcycle mobile...

N0IU

I don't know what other forums you are looking at, but there is an amateur radio "community" at the Good Sam website: RV Online Community, RVers Community, Good Sam Club Online Community

You also might want to wait a couple of weeks and go to the Dayton Hamvention since you live right in town anyway. In addition to all the vendors, you will probably see a couple two or three RVs parked around there and as we all know, hams are more than willing to share their opinions on everything!

http://www.hamvention.org/

Last edited:

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Great idea, Google "ham radio rv club" and you'll turn up a lot of good stuff. I've seen a few members at various Field Day sites and their setups were simple but very effective.
"...hams are more than willing to share their opinions on everything!"
Is that a fact? (;->) Speaking of Dayton, been there, done that and they have everything from soup to nuts, the latter are easy to spot. <hmmm> Speaking of which if you spot this guy be sure to park at a safe distance.

Last edited:

n8uw

That Dayton Hamvention is the same week as my birthday, 15 minutes crosstown, and another 10 on a bus. And I carry credit cards. I need to become a seller instead of a buyer.

I think I got the Ham part down, and the other information I want is here if I look. I was really just saying hello. And, I really don't know how well the front end on one of these scanners will tolerate my 200W HF dits.

Looks like I get to do what I do best, and enjoy most, research.

Thanks, and thanks for supporting a good forum for this. If ya'll got any CW questions, I have opinions...

Status
Not open for further replies.