Funding Approved for New System in Middletown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kitn1mcc

Premium Subscriber
Gonna be fun for everyone. Heard rumor portland does not want to pay for new radios again. this is gonna make interop in the area messy. most of the towns around there can not afford a new digital radio

W1CRN

Premium Subscriber
Okay they have not said what kind of system other then digital. Are they going to get their current license modified to do P25 or DMR and keep the VHF so that Portand and Cromwell can still communicate with them during mutual aid event? Also are they going to be jumping on the ENC band wagon like everyone else seems to want to do, like meriden PD. The other thing is that they said it they are going to be replacing portable radio. What about the mobiles in the rigs and cruisers?

New Radios

Okay they have not said what kind of system other then digital. Are they going to get their current license modified to do P25 or DMR and keep the VHF so that Portand and Cromwell can still communicate with them during mutual aid event? Also are they going to be jumping on the ENC band wagon like everyone else seems to want to do, like meriden PD. The other thing is that they said it they are going to be replacing portable radio. What about the mobiles in the rigs and cruisers?

The new system will be Motoro1a Phase II p25 system.

EVERY radio will be replaced, including PD, FD, Public Works, Etc.

Including City, South District and Westfield - not Portland.

PD will be encrypted.

W1CRN

Premium Subscriber
Well that sucks. This hole ENC on PD disp is crap. I get it on narcotics, surveillance and ESU channels but dispatch is stupid.

MrAntiDigital

Well that sucks. This hole ENC on PD disp is crap. I get it on narcotics, surveillance and ESU channels but dispatch is stupid.

And I agree as well. Very well put in plain, simple terms.

But let's look into this a little bit more.

As we open the history books on one of Connecticut's most serious incidents that have occurred over the last few years or so. One that comes to mind actually happened in Middletown. That incident was the Kleen Energy Blast that happened only a few years ago in February, 2010. That was a MASSIVE EXPLOSION that I believe took the lives of 5 or 6 people. It was a MASSIVE Operation of combined efforts by the Fire Dept, Police Dept, EMS and Hospitals, Utilities Co., and I'm sure countless others.

1) Was there any serious radio problems encountered during this operation.
2) Were the numerous responding organizations able to communicate and some how get this MASSIVE Operation accomplished.
3) Was there ONE Incident Commander, or his/her representative able to communicate effectively with their own organizations.

I am under the impression that there wasn't too much of a problem in communications. Could one mutual aid channel for major events such as this, assigned to these organizations have been able to take care of it, if there was ?

Let's also look into the idea of the Middletown FD responding automatic aid into the Town of Portland. One year to the day, on December 10, 2015 the Hartford Courant ran a story in which the Mayor of Middletown discussed the need for the consolidation of Middletown and Portland for fire service. Throughout that entire article, many things are mentioned, but it was NEVER mentioned about Portland being required to purchase an entirely new radio system.

How is the Portland and Middletown FDs able to communicate now ? Is it a workable plan ? Is Middletown being sold an entirely new Unnecessary Radio System like so many other cities and towns have ? Where has this new radio system in our state played a large impact so far and proven itself to be the right way to accomplish these goals ?

Of course we can ALWAYS put the blame on our 911 Dispatchers for not knowing how to use these new systems. But here is where I put the blame.

I put the blame on those that are pushing so strongly to get our cities and towns to convert over. I put the blame on those who line their pockets taking our tax dollars to satisfy their own needs. Those who push these radio systems on our cities and towns that really have had NO PROBLEMS with their radio systems, including a place like Middletown. A place that had one of the largest disasters in Connecticut in recent history. Yet somehow was able to function WITHOUT these new radio systems. .

We are all welcomed to our own thoughts here. These are just mine. Yours are welcomed as well.

MFCJR

I agree with W1CRN and you always have a good insight MrAntiDigital. As of now Portland and Middletown Fire share each others frequency's. There is Intercity North and Intercity South that is used when fire departments have no other way to communicate with each other. Middletown would use Intercity South. Hartford County uses Intercity North.

55engine

Premium Subscriber
How do we know that Middletown police are going encrypted what thay do with the Portland units there dispatch but Middletown? encryption is stupid because you have other police officers who carry scanners like to hear the calls I believe main dispatch should stay in the clear maybe SWAT and narcotics those encrypted anything when is this new radio system going to be up?

georged4997

Premium Subscriber
Seems like the past 2-3 years everyone needs a new radio system. And their not cheap.
Taxpayers are the ones paying for these systems. Its almost like, Every kid on the block got
a new Bike now I have to have one. Why not just put up repeaters where you can.
I have a new 800 antenna , Lmr 400 cable and still don't pick up all the trunking. And that's
with a uniden 996p2. It seems now you have to be close to pick it up. Its not like the old days
with skip, You might hear stations hundreds of miles away.

Kitn1mcc

Premium Subscriber
from talking to a few locals. Portland is not gonna pay for any new radio they just purchased newer ones not too long ago. also the city is just wasting money. the surrounding towns are not going to pay for digital radios

MrAntiDigital

from talking to a few locals. Portland is not gonna pay for any new radio they just purchased newer ones not too long ago. also the city is just wasting money. the surrounding towns are not going to pay for digital radios

PERFECT.

Middletown wants to waste their money on these radios because somebody told them how much they needed them, fine. But that doesn't mean that every town around the place ALSO needs to buy these new expensive radio systems.

Don't drag these other places through the mud with them because Middletown gets sucked in. Middletown is all on their own on this one. Let the sales people explain to Middletown how they can figure things out when NOBODY else wants to get into this interoperability thing with them.

Middletown is not alone on this one either. This has happened to other areas as well, right here in Connecticut. Where one place is sold these new radios because a salesman says they are so needed. Then surrounding towns (such as Portland) say "NO Way", they aren't sucking us into this sales pitch.

Of course your thoughts on this matter are welcomed as well.

1) Should the Town of Portland, as well as others, be forced into buying into this new radio system.

2) In the case of the Automatic Aid with regards to the fire service between these towns, progress has certainly been made. Could this have a major impact on a successful plan now in place.

3) If surrounding towns REFUSE to buy into this new radio system, what is Middletown to do when it comes to mutual aid operations for it's police and fire depts. What plan is in place to make it work.

4) As "MFCJR" has reported here earlier, a well working system for mutual aid is already in place with Hartford County North and South Intercity channels. Can we be told here, by an expert why that system should be replaced and can no longer function for what it was once designed for.

THANK YOU for taking the time to read my thoughts on this matter. You are certainly entitled to present your opposing facts to this as well.

Perhaps someone can explain some of the answers to help Middletown's new radio system make a smooth transition. Should another incident like that Kleen Power Plant Explosion happen and surrounding towns refuse to change their radio systems to meet Middletown's expectations, what should Middletown do to compensate for this. This is also a concern for other places throughout Connecticut and the country that have already changed over as well.

zuzuski

Congratulations to the Middletown departments on progress!

As for interoperability, now people will use the existing interop channels, and not overload single channels with everyone and their brother!

Looking forward to seeing the policy!!!

MrAntiDigital

Congratulations to the Middletown departments on progress!

As for interoperability, now people will use the existing interop channels, and not overload single channels with everyone and their brother!

Looking forward to seeing the policy!!!

I also hope that this mission is accomplished and as successful as it sounds.

I, along with others, will look forward to hearing the positive results once this system is in place.

"zuzucski", your enthusiasm gives me the impression that you may have some very positive thoughts to present to us regarding this topic. Would you kindly present us with some of those success stories. Where these new radio systems and interop was actually used and put to work with favorable results.

Thank you and I appreciate in advance your sharing this info with us.

APX7500X2

The new system will be Motoro1a Phase II p25 system.
EVERY radio will be replaced, including PD, FD, Public Works, Etc.
Including City, South District and Westfield - not Portland.
PD will be encrypted.

I'm not sure its smart going 800mhz trunking when no one else around you is, But Encryption is way to go with public safety as we all know its the only way to go.
And since they are getting Motorola....... ADP (Anti scanner encryption) comes included with the APX series radios...And just FYI Johnson/Kenwood and Harris now support Motorola ADP anti scanner encryption so now you have a choice of manufactures for the dirt cheep anti scanner encryption

Portland would be smart to go to a regional center or have Cromwell do their dispatch. From what I hear it would be a step up from big brother Middletown

Rumor has it and I have no conformation yet but watch for Trumbull, Stratford Seymour, New Haven, North haven, Ansonia and Glastonbury to go digital and encrypted in 2017 Hamden & Orange in 2018 (Those 2 really need the upgrade)

MrAntiDigital

I'm not sure its smart going 800mhz trunking when no one else around you is, But Encryption is way to go with public safety as we all know its the only way to go.
And since they are getting Motorola....... ADP (Anti scanner encryption) comes included with the APX series radios...And just FYI Johnson/Kenwood and Harris now support Motorola ADP anti scanner encryption so now you have a choice of manufactures for the dirt cheep anti scanner encryption

Portland would be smart to go to a regional center or have Cromwell do their dispatch. From what I hear it would be a step up from big brother Middletown

Rumor has it and I have no conformation yet but watch for Trumbull, Stratford Seymour, New Haven, North haven, Ansonia and Glastonbury to go digital and encrypted in 2017 Hamden & Orange in 2018 (Those 2 really need the upgrade)

I agree sir, Regional Dispatching is a step in the right direction for many places in Connecticut. That would be a MAJOR Positive Step if that could happen.

Let me ask this as well. If public funding through our taxpayer dollars was NOT available, would these towns you mention still be willing to spend this kind of money for an entire new radio system, with or without encryption.

Let's take Bridgeport for example. Connecticut's largest city but maybe not one of the richest. They went to these new radios, including encryption, a few years ago. Roughly how much did the City of Bridgeport come up with out of their own pockets verses other federal or state funding.

Also, can we get the list of advantage's that Bridgeport has seen since going to this encryption form of radio system. .

leadjammer

Funding approved for new radios in Middletown

I guess I should plan on throwing my scanners away next year. Certainly won't be buying anything new. That's for sure. This wonderful hobby might be coming to an end.

MrAntiDigital

I guess I should plan on throwing my scanners away next year. Certainly won't be buying anything new. That's for sure. This wonderful hobby might be coming to an end.

"Leadjammer", it is a sad time for many of us who were happy with this great hobby. I'm with you on it and I can tell you we both have plenty of company.

I decided not to buy anything new either,. It's just not worth it. I've written off already more than I want to.

I can totally relate to your statement. I guess today some people really have no idea how lucky we were. What a GREAT hobby it was. I think you're right too. "It's coming to an end".

leadjammer

Funding approved for new radios in Middletown

I've been scanner listening for something like 50 years. My dad bought me my first scanner when I was around 10 years old. It was a ten channel regency with plug in crystals. I still have it. It still works. We've come a long way since then. I can understand encryption in certain situations but to do it full time is ridiculous as far as I'm concerned but what do I know. Towns like West Haven and Hamden have the highest taxes in the state and they are worrying about radio encryption. Amazing.

Firebuff66

Feed Provider
Towns like West Haven and Hamden have the highest taxes in the state and they are worrying about radio encryption. Amazing.

Just so their is no confusion Towns like West Haven got new radios because the old ones were breaking down and could not be repaired, None of us (I would hope) want the public safety personnel to be using a radio system that doesn't work.

They bought a new system and it was digital, As stated in an above post Motorola includes ADP encryption for free, Its up to the department to decide if they want to utilize it or not.
So no extra money was spent on the encryption

Departments have to replace radios and radio systems just like they have to replace police cars and fire trucks, and just like in the new police cars and fire trucks, radios come with new technology.

Over the last 10 or so years there has been so much on the news with scanner recordings attached, and no one wants to hear themselves on the TV good or bad, and the scanner recordings are coming from us, the people who listen for a hobby. Its like we are in a boat and we are each drilling little holes in the boat, eventually its going to sink LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.