Funny/Odd things heard on the scanner

spongella

Premium Subscriber
This evening I set my scanner to the MURS band and let it run a couple of hours to see if there was any activity in my area. My antenna is a chimney mounted ham 2m/440MHz J Pole. Between 2300 - 2400 UTC the scanner would stop occasionally on 151.940 megs with a recorded announcement by a female voice repeating "Alert stop one" about 3 - 4 times with each transmission. At times it sounded like "alert stones one." Does anyone have an idea as to what this is? Thanks very much..

DeeEx

This evening I set my scanner to the MURS band and let it run a couple of hours to see if there was any activity in my area. My antenna is a chimney mounted ham 2m/440MHz J Pole. Between 2300 - 2400 UTC the scanner would stop occasionally on 151.940 megs with a recorded announcement by a female voice repeating "Alert stop one" about 3 - 4 times with each transmission. At times it sounded like "alert stones one." Does anyone have an idea as to what this is? Thanks very much..
“Alert Zone One” is the Dakota Alert brand of perimeter detection systems.

IC-R20

LoBand Nation
They're not for perimeter there was a variety of sensors you could use for anything. I had the magnetometer one with the probe set by the side of the road so I knew when garbage or mail was here.

Unfortunately they stopped making them and switched to junky 900 MHz digital ones so I can just use my more sensitive handheld scanner to pick up from further. I imagine there's probably unbranded chinese variants using analog rf on various frequencies though.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
They're not for perimeter there was a variety of sensors you could use for anything. I had the magnetometer one with the probe set by the side of the road so I knew when garbage or mail was here.

Unfortunately they stopped making them and switched to junky 900 MHz digital ones so I can just use my more sensitive handheld scanner to pick up from further. I imagine there's probably unbranded chinese variants using analog rf on various frequencies though.
Thanks.

CrabbyMilton

CM I much agree with you

Belvdr, It is a city of 100,000 people + & a dedicated Professional Paid 7 company FD, Quite good, Private bus service though

BUT

Everything is CYA around here, Hence calling the PM's from FD & Then The Bus PM's when they show up

Welcome to the litigious world that we live in
All very great points. If I were the doctor, unless this guy was truly in a critical state, I would have had him sign a waiver and call him a cab.

AB4BF

Premium Subscriber
In Saluda County, the Sheriff's Office was just dispatched to an electric company's right of way clearing crew. A woman, who didn't like the fact they have to cut trees and branches, was throwing rocks at them and their trucks. Somehow, I bet her name is "Karen".

IC-R20

LoBand Nation
In Saluda County, the Sheriff's Office was just dispatched to an electric company's right of way clearing crew. A woman, who didn't like the fact they have to cut trees and branches, was throwing rocks at them and their trucks. Somehow, I bet her name is "Karen".
Lolol wonder if she's also one of them 'electro' sensitives that also go on about wireless telemetry meters.

CrabbyMilton

Lolol wonder if she's also one of them 'electro' sensitives that also go on about wireless telemetry meters.
Good point!!! She's probably the same type that gets on her cell phone to complain about them building new cell towers all the time. Simple, people like her can't stop talking on the phone so more towers are needed. :)

IC-R20

LoBand Nation
I still love decoding pager traffic.

View attachment 158773
I miss having an alpha numeric pager. I had one until 2016 when the American Messaging transmitter for my area died and unfortunately customer support knows nothing about that and swears it still up.

Just today though I used my TRX-1 to record some blips off one of the last remaining private pager transmitters on town (it's on an itinerant), maybe now I can finally decode and see who is running it since the audio files are undiscriminatored, I've tried for years with my RTL but it's hard to get it right on frequency enough for perfect decodes. Anyone know any Linux software that will decode flex/pocsag?

CrabbyMilton

I miss having an alpha numeric pager. I had one until 2016 when the American Messaging transmitter for my area died and unfortunately customer support knows nothing about that and swears it still up.

Just today though I used my TRX-1 to record some blips off one of the last remaining private pager transmitters on town (it's on an itinerant), maybe now I can finally decode and see who is running it since the audio files are undiscriminatored, I've tried for years with my RTL but it's hard to get it right on frequency enough for perfect decodes. Anyone know any Linux software that will decode flex/pocsag?
Before everyone had phones, listening to pager traffic was a hoot. "Hey, get over here A--Hole" "Dr XXX call the hospital." "WAAAAAAAAAA"

MrBungle

Regular Guy. Former Cop.
Premium Subscriber

Check thes guys- Check paging coverage - Spok Inc.

I live in an active area. I've also pulled frequencies off pagers sold on eBay (in the pictures) and have had luck there too, in 2024.

MrBungle

Regular Guy. Former Cop.
Premium Subscriber

GitHub - EliasOenal/multimon-ng

IC-R20

LoBand Nation
I only hope I can keep partying half as hard as this guy when I'm that old jeez