Funny/Odd things heard on the scanner

camp637

The other night I heard a call on the local PD Patrol Dispatch to be on the lookout for a Mountian Lion. In Northwest Suburban Chicago ! Had to be a very large cat.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
The other night I heard a call on the local PD Patrol Dispatch to be on the lookout for a Mountian Lion. In Northwest Suburban Chicago ! Had to be a very large cat.

Maybe that was the one that was out here. We've had one roaming the area for years.

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
This just happened today about two hours ago and it's more of an odd thing then something funny. At least to me it's not funny. I have the scanner on but I'm so involved working on something on my computer that I'm barely hearing the scanner. Then out of nowhere I hear an officer run my license plate. I hear this but it doesn't register. I'm so involved with what I'm working on that I know that I just heard my license plate but I don't associate it with the scanner. Until I hear the dispatcher come back with my full name and address and tells the officer that their are "no flags" on the vehicle. Then the officer seems to dismiss the whole thing and tells the dispatcher he doesn't need a copy of this.

Now they've got my full attention but it's already over with. From my desk I have a clear view of my car in the driveway and the street in front of the house. It's been a quiet afternoon and I haven't seen a car, much less a police car, in at least 20 minutes. I go out to my car and check to see if my plates are still on the car and they are.

So I have no idea why someone was running my plates, but I'm imagining all sorts of scenarios.

I'm thinking that the cops were on a revenue raising drive of some kind, just checking to see if there is anyone they can ticket, for anything.

Or, there was some kind of crime committed in your area that involved a car similar to yours and they were canvassing. Since you were otherwise involved, you didn't notice until you heard your plate being read. Maybe the crime happened on another day, and these cops just happened across yours parked in the driveway.

Must have been a real shock to hear your own name and address over the air like that!

gr8rcall

Premium Subscriber
Must have been a real shock to hear your own name and address over the air like that!

I've heard my friends, ect..., get pulled, checked for being suspicous, and loads of other stuff...
Never heard myself though (and hope i never do)

Sincerely,
gr8rcall

RDGDigital

@jimru
@gr8call

You're right it was a real shock but I got over it at first. I had chalked it up to one of a couple scenarios, e.g. the officer or dispatcher misread and ran the wrong plate or maybe I had parked near a crime scene the other day and now the police are canvassing businesses with video cameras in the area and just checking random vehicles on the video.

But after talking to a good friend of the family they were telling me about receiving one of those speed camera tickets in the mail. It included a picture of a car with her license plate on it but it wasn't her car. She eventually was cleared of the ticket after presenting proof that it wasn't her car. But it got me to thinking; is there some sort of scam going on in my area where criminals are forging license plates? Now my quandary is do I mention this to the police?

Not long ago...Dispatcher and Volunteer Department (Jumpy, excitable volunteer....)

Vol: County, we got a fire at Jim's Aunt's house.
Disp: You are going to have to give me better information
Vol: You know, our chief Jim...his Aunts house is on fire.
Disp: I got that part...where is Jim's Aunt's house? Is that in your Village?
Vol: Yeah
Disp: Can you give me an address?
Vol: 429, I think
Disp: 429 What? Where are you?
Vol: On North Main Street.
Disp: Sir....Main street runs East and West in your village....where do you want your department to respond to?
Vol: We'll go with East.
Disp: OK.....(tones go out)

Nice..
I barked out loud laughing...may be the Jack n Coke,,but still funny!

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Ok, just in time for halloween!

Woman calls into Normal Pd to complain about noises in her chimney...
She was in a fling 15 yrs ago with a male witch, she's also a witch. They were in a cult...
She thinks satan may be in here chimney? What do you think?
Yes, the town of normal, you read correctly. :roll:
Note, the next full moon is on the 29th.

n9zas

DickH

"Your patient has miraculously resumed breathing, has regained consciousness and is actually talking."

reconrider8

not really on the funny side but county ems just had a patient thats blood sugar was 592 and they said she had a temp of 102 and im thinking i see why shes got a temp of 102 trying to keep up with her sugar

ScottBL

simcoe county

heard this one in Simcoe County, Ontario Canada.

"Complainant is stating that there are children running around on her floor and causing a ruckus. She is very upset that she can't watch her animal planet"

szron

Late night police call.

"Make xxx street for a report of a suspicious vehicle in area. The caller is scared because he has small children is his house. Unknown if he's scared of the children or the vehicle."

Wording is everything :)

Also, Westland FD is changing numbering scheme.
All the firefighters got exited but dispatch will not change until they get an official order.
1401 becomes Engine 1, 1403 becomes Rescue 1, 1421 becomes Engine 2, 1023 becomes Rescue 2 and so on.......

Lots of thinks going on.

D: 1401 respond to xx for yy
1401 :Engine 1 copies
D: 1423 respond to zz for hh
1423: Rescue 2 copies
1401: Engine 1 in on the air (en route)
D: Engin... (silence) 1401 is on the air.
1433: Rescue 3 is back in quaters.
1423: Rescue 2 is on the air.
D: Resc.... 1433 in quaters, 1423 on the air (very annoyed).

1401: Engine 1 is A (arrived)
D: Unit calling A?!
1401: Engine 1 is calling A.
D: (very annoyed) Copy 1401 is A at xxxx.

It went on and on like that for at least couple of days :D

quarterwave

Late night police call.

"Make xxx street for a report of a suspicious vehicle in area. The caller is scared because he has small children is his house. Unknown if he's scared of the children or the vehicle."

Wording is everything :)

Also, Westland FD is changing numbering scheme.
All the firefighters got exited but dispatch will not change until they get an official order.
1401 becomes Engine 1, 1403 becomes Rescue 1, 1421 becomes Engine 2, 1023 becomes Rescue 2 and so on.......

Lots of thinks going on.

D: 1401 respond to xx for yy
1401 :Engine 1 copies
D: 1423 respond to zz for hh
1423: Rescue 2 copies
1401: Engine 1 in on the air (en route)
D: Engin... (silence) 1401 is on the air.
1433: Rescue 3 is back in quaters.
1423: Rescue 2 is on the air.
D: Resc.... 1433 in quaters, 1423 on the air (very annoyed).

1401: Engine 1 is A (arrived)
D: Unit calling A?!
1401: Engine 1 is calling A.
D: (very annoyed) Copy 1401 is A at xxxx.

It went on and on like that for at least couple of days :D

Good one. We have a local department that is part of the county volunteer system and they try to make themselves cooler, bigger and better, by going through spurts of using the common codes or ways of saying where they are, etc...like 2294 on the scene.....somedays they will say 22's rescue 94 is 87, 94 in charge, situation being evaluated.....which dispatch becomes very annoyed by. I think they have a member or two that watches too many old Fire Dept TV shows, and short of starting their own department, they want to stand out and be Mr. Bigshot.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Multi unit speed trap

Heard on an unrecorded RCMP TAC Channel:
To set the scene: traffic units were setting up for a multi-unit speed trap. multiple units on an on-ramp with one unit calling speeds using laser from an overpass, lasing cars from behind.

" attention all units, this is your captain speaking, buckle up, were are expecting high flyers, bad attitude and possible serria/romeo (snide remarks). All warrants are to be executed as quickly as possible and remember we provide service with a smile. The gas pedal is on the right..."

I cannot remember the rest, as I was driving home from a club executive meeting. My passenger and I howled when we heard this.

KD0TAZ

Feed Provider
not really on the funny side but county ems just had a patient thats blood sugar was 592 and they said she had a temp of 102 and im thinking i see why shes got a temp of 102 trying to keep up with her sugar

No she's trying to turn the blood sugar into caramel...........

<hides>

Sent from my Galaxy SII using some Tappity Talkity thing.

Blackbrd

Suspicious Hunters!

While monitoring this Sunday morning a call came through to the dispatcher from 2 firemen, they had seen 2 people hunting off a Dakota Street which is illegal to hunt from the road. The firemen reported this and their dispatcher comes back in response "roger and any description of the 2 individuals on what they were wearing??" You could hearing laughing from the 2 firemen saying "uh camouflage?????". This perturbed the dispatcher because obviously if I could hear the fireman laughing at her so could she. She responded "I KNOW THAT ..... WHAT ARE THEY WHITE, BLACK or what???".

Sportster77

Premium Subscriber
Had FD Dispatch call out Station 2 this morning for a mulch fire in front of the station, 'your station on Lost Nation Rd', like they 1) didn't know there was a fire in front of their station, and 2) that they didn't know where the station is located.

quarterwave

Had FD Dispatch call out Station 2 this morning for a mulch fire in front of the station, 'your station on Lost Nation Rd', like they 1) didn't know there was a fire in front of their station, and 2) that they didn't know where the station is located.

Iv'e heard similar here. I think the dispatchers just don't know what to say, really. We have one night dispatcher that is terrible, she can't dispatch worth a hoot, and lord help us if she is chewing gum and the phone rings.

She likes to say "There by the church...right there on Main st...." which is annoying when she uses "there" in a sentence about 8 times. And she also, due to lack of ability to multi-task, tells the cars she "can't copy your radio", like all the time, This is lazy for...I'm not paying attention and can't do 2 things...or key a mic and tell you to standby...or turn on the channel marker so you know to hang on....I mean they will call signal 99 if they need it now, but she would probably say "What's a 99?". She plays dumb on the radio system...If I can hear a car, she sure the heck can hear them. They have a 5 site simulcast, wireline control to the hub repeater, and a stand by control station. She can hear them. Oh the politics, she'll probably get promoted to head dispatcher.