Funny/Odd things heard on the scanner

K2RNI

Tanks. Yep it's an AOR. Careful though some of that stuff on that page are jokes or jabs. Biography Channel had some changes. I feel the WS1040 is capable of much more though. It is more like my old Pro 82 scanner which I used for 11 years trust me it worked out too :lol: Wish I kept it to recharge batteries in though because the rest of it was dead.

I agree, I find the WS1040 to be like a handheld comms receiver but even better because of it's powerful features making it a breeze to find anything as well as collect info on the signal (CTCSS, NAC, Trunking). As well as scanning really fast so I can monitor mutiple systems at once with out missing the start of tranmissions.

K2RNI

Anyone ever listen to the transportation or taxi dispatch when you call for a ride?

The other night I heard a couple yellow cabs coordinating how to hide in the parking lot next to where they were going to pick some group up so they could coordinate.

I also later heard them schedule a meetup to smoke weed at the motel 6 haha!

lolbananalol2

Premium Subscriber
Anyone ever listen to the transportation or taxi dispatch when you call for a ride?

The other night I heard a couple yellow cabs coordinating how to hide in the parking lot next to where they were going to pick some group up so they could coordinate.

I also later heard them schedule a meetup to smoke weed at the motel 6 haha!

Taxis here are mostly one sided so they’re a little hard to follow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
Taxis here are mostly one sided so they’re a little hard to follow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I haven't listened to taxis since the 1980s or 1990s and I can't even room remember where they were allocated on the frequency spectrum? Was it the 157 MHz range or somewhere close to that? And there aren't a lot of them on TRS types of setups nowadays? Or do they still have to operate in their old band plan part of the frequency spectrum? That might make for some different listening so I could remember where to find them :)

Brian (COMMSCAN)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
Sorry, I don't see well and in that last message I replied to I had toll Google voice to text "aren't there a lot of them on TRS..."

Bryan (COMMSCAN)

JoshuaHufford

Feed Provider
Amtrak Engineer reports to the dispatcher cows on the tracks around Mile Post 135 or so.

Next train heading through that spot the dispatcher warns the crew about possible cows on the tracks.

Crew's only response is, "We'll invite you to the BBQ"

K2RNI

I haven't listened to taxis since the 1980s or 1990s and I can't even room remember where they were allocated on the frequency spectrum? Was it the 157 MHz range or somewhere close to that? And there aren't a lot of them on TRS types of setups nowadays? Or do they still have to operate in their old band plan part of the frequency spectrum? That might make for some different listening so I could remember where to find them :)

Brian (COMMSCAN)

They use standard IG industrial/business frequencies, some on VHF though a lot use the 450-460 and 800 MHz range. Some conventional, others like the yellow cabs I was monitoring are trunked. LTR standard in this case.

Oh also during spordic E I hear south american Taxis on 25-26 MHz and a few on the upper 27MHz range using AM.

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the reply and information. It's got me curious since it's been so long since I've listened to that kind of traffic. Plus, with the lack of public transportation where I live, I may need to use them at various times and I'd like to know where to listen and not just count on Close Call :)

Brian (COMMSCAN)
They use standard IG industrial/business frequencies, some on VHF though a lot use the 450-460 and 800 MHz range. Some conventional, others like the yellow cabs I was monitoring are trunked. LTR standard in this case.

K2RNI

Anyone hear any funny/odd or creepy transmissions this halloween?

Nothing ever happens on Halloween where I live except a couple extra drunk drivers on the roads. I did hear the police were having a hard time handing out all their candy and one location had 4 garbage bags full so naturally I went and got a kroger grocery bag filled hehe ��

Edit: Oh here we go, 19 year old did acid and started freaking out and PD had to call the fire department haha.

Last edited:

DJ11DLN

Anyone hear any funny/odd or creepy transmissions this halloween?

Nothing ever happens on Halloween where I live except a couple extra drunk drivers on the roads. I did hear the police were having a hard time handing out all their candy and one location had 4 garbage bags full so naturally I went and got a kroger grocery bag filled hehe ��

Edit: Oh here we go, 19 year old did acid and started freaking out and PD had to call the fire department haha.

Yesterday someone would intermittently key up the local school bus frequency and do a fairly credible "witch's cackle." Nobody ever replied or told them to shut up and whoever it was didn't interfere with operations...maybe it's a tradition with them. I only started listening to them last winter. Never dreamed that it could be as interesting as it is!

Woman

Yesterday someone would intermittently key up the local school bus frequency and do a fairly credible "witch's cackle." Nobody ever replied or told them to shut up and whoever it was didn't interfere with operations...maybe it's a tradition with them. I only started listening to them last winter. Never dreamed that it could be as interesting as it is!

Yesterday a half naked lady fell thru a roof in a fast food joint in another town close to here. It made John Boy and Billy's Dumb Crook News. Love JB and B :D :D

K2RNI

Saw that on the news. Would have loved to listen to that.

Specially on the drive thru system. It's funny listening in on those little headsets they all wear, on some even though the outside intercom is off you can still catch them talking around inside on UHF.

Railbender

Premium Subscriber
Yesterday a local patrol officer requested that the animal control officer be sent to his location. He found 2 chickens wandering in the street. This was of course followed by great speculation by all parties as to exactly why the chickens were crossing the road. My theory is that they were doing it to show the opossum it could be done.

wbswetnam

Listening to school buses and school administrator communications can be quite interesting. Several times I have heard school bus drivers sobbing over the radio that "the kids are out of control!" with sounds of chaos in the background. Pretty interesting sometimes.

K2RNI

Listening to school buses and school administrator communications can be quite interesting. Several times I have heard school bus drivers sobbing over the radio that "the kids are out of control!" with sounds of chaos in the background. Pretty interesting sometimes.

Same, though out here they have monitors on the bus to keep the brats in check. The funny stuff happens when the busses have mechanical troubles or break down. And they do often, especially in cold weather. They're old worn out heaps barely keeping alive, for the school district that is. The charter school has a nice new one with LED strobes. I remember listening last winter on my newly obtained Whistler WS1040 as the bus was barely pulling along at 30mph and smoking up a storm out the grill as the driver tried to make the next few stops before redezvous with a replacement at a gas station ahead. He had to keep stopping every few minutes to let the poor jalopy rest. Kinda dangerous it seems, at this point the county would save more money in the long run just buying new busses instead of doing multiple daily repairs on all of them.

DJ11DLN

Same, though out here they have monitors on the bus to keep the brats in check. The funny stuff happens when the busses have mechanical troubles or break down. And they do often, especially in cold weather. They're old worn out heaps barely keeping alive, for the school district that is. The charter school has a nice new one with LED strobes. I remember listening last winter on my newly obtained Whistler WS1040 as the bus was barely pulling along at 30mph and smoking up a storm out the grill as the driver tried to make the next few stops before redezvous with a replacement at a gas station ahead. He had to keep stopping every few minutes to let the poor jalopy rest. Kinda dangerous it seems, at this point the county would save more money in the long run just buying new busses instead of doing multiple daily repairs on all of them.

Newer isn't necessary better. I also hear a lot about low DEF warnings after they refilled it the day before (bad level sensor), "white smoke" (emission system doing a regen), and what does this or that flashing amber light on the dashboard, sometimes accompanied with an audible alarm, mean. Is it safe to keep driving this thing? And of course they often go into "limp home mode" from some imaginary fault and will hardly go 15 MPH. And a lot of these buses are only a year or 2 old!

Also the cameras inside don't always function, but the driver's are pretty good about telling each other that they have a kid trying to hang out the window or making obscene gestures at people. They are however starting to put cameras in the stop arms, to grab tag #'s when cars run the stop arms. I hear this reported with depressing regularity.:mad:

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
While I was traveling out of town in sept going on vacation and a system First Comm Cap+ and heard a person say oh boy love bugs peeing in the dark. This is during the day. I do have audio but not able to load on YouTube due to lost my place of living due to hurricane Michael.