Funny/Odd things heard on the scanner

jac-3

Course it was legit, I know the Chief that had command (at the time).

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Call yesterday,. At least 2 engines & a chief's car on the scene of cars trapped in high water:

Command to dispatch, make that three cars stuck, somebody just drove past us and is stuck.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Been there. I was on a light rescue, blocking a street with a PD car in the other lane, and an engine was blocking the other side of the flooded area. Someone decided that the three emergency vehicles, with lights activated, were decorations, I guess. She drove around the cop car, in the grass, listing about 20 degrees, and went straight into the swollen creek.

Sent using Tapatalk

desert-cheetah

Premium Subscriber
Ambulance: Rescue 857 en route code 2 Thompson Peak
Dispatch: Rescue 857 verify destination
Ambulance: Rescue 857 code 2 to Banner Baywood

Those two hospitals are nowhere near each other and Thompson Peak isn't anywhere near 857's first due area.

desert-cheetah

Premium Subscriber
Been there. I was on a light rescue, blocking a street with a PD car in the other lane, and an engine was blocking the other side of the flooded area. Someone decided that the three emergency vehicles, with lights activated, were decorations, I guess. She drove around the cop car, in the grass, listing about 20 degrees, and went straight into the swollen creek.

Sent using Tapatalk

Arizona has Stupid Motorist Law for situations like that. It's always fun when the media is on the scene and they get video footage of the idiot who goes around emergency vehicles and gets stuck.

appalling_hauling

Premium Subscriber
I have corrupted some police officers in my area.Yes,it was deliberate and I was so tickled when a area across from the local auto dealerships known as "Creekside". Of course because of the narcotic activity there (mostly meth related-cooking and the dreaded skilletheads) I started calling it "Crackside"
One night,someone made off with 1 of the vehicles on the lot.As the units were converging,I heard a familiar voice come over the speaker,"Im right at Crackside! We'll get this skillethead!"

My wife and I couldnt stop laughing.The radio traffic came to a halt and we realized his fellow officers were either laughing or shaking their heads in disbelief.
Later he told me I was a bad influence and his chief had a talk about his radio etiquette pointing out the use of "Skillethead" or Crackside" wasnt proper radio speak.
He is no longer a LEO having been offered a better job in the private sector.But I got him that night good.

mws72

Premium Subscriber
So, an MHL would be an Emotionally Disturbed Person, or EDP.

In California, they'd be termed a 5150, from the California penal code. It's also a popular street slang term, at least on the West Coast, thanks to a song or two.

In Arizona, the common radio brevity code is 918.

John
Peoria, AZ

Also used in the 80's on Miami Vice a couple of times. the screenwriters were from California.

CrabbyMilton

One I heard on a school bus channel years ago. A driver had to make an extra run to some school at the last minute and didn't want to do it.
Driver: I can't do that run because I have activities.
Dispatcher: You're not on the activities board. Where do you have activities?
Driver: At my house.
Dispatcher: Oh common it will only take 15 to 20 minutes at the most.

DJ11DLN

One I heard on a school bus channel years ago. A driver had to make an extra run to some school at the last minute and didn't want to do it.
Driver: I can't do that run because I have activities.
Dispatcher: You're not on the activities board. Where do you have activities?
Driver: At my house.
Dispatcher: Oh common it will only take 15 to 20 minutes at the most.
Just about every weekday through the school year I listen to the local school bus "mistress" (calling her a Dispatcher would be over the line) trying to get drivers to take various extracurricular runs. Several of them almost never accept one of these...and one guy always replies by saying, "el pass-o."

appalling_hauling

Premium Subscriber
Okay folks.
Im not an alarmist but I do find the author of this thread to not only be culpable as well as the master conspirator behind any future fun mayhem in these forums.
That alone doesnt bother me except for what I heard a half hour ago.
Before I could reach my scanner some gal said,quote,"Im not your baby,knock it off!"
I dont believe it was off the Public Safety repeater close by but there again I couldn't check the readout.

Whoever you are just fess up.
You know you did it and you enjoyed doing it.
It was a lot more classier than the people who pass gas on the secondary channels because they are paranoid a belch would somehow be voice printed.

Besides,who else is going to know if you popped a repeater on the fly
How are we to express our gratitude?

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
This is neither funny nor odd but is worth the listen. This is the audio from the Highlands Ranch School shooting response from earlier this week. The response and radio etiquette was quite professional IMHO. There was very little traffic where units were stepping on each other like I have noticed at times in other large-scale events.

zapman987

Premium Subscriber
This Id classify as odd, but really made me think. It probably happens more than I realize, First time Id heard it.

Had a neighboring county call dispatch, who called sheriffs office deputy, to locate next of kin. They didn't say why, just classified it as a priority request.

CrabbyMilton

One that I heard long ago on the county transit route supervisor channel.
The supervisor was complaining that his county issued work car was dirty. He said that he had it washed at the end of his shift and put it away(indoors) and now it was all dusty and dirty and nobody else was using it at the time. He quipped that the city must come in here with their street sweepers and shake the dust off on our cars.

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
I was sitting outside town with my SDS200 plugged into my cigarette lighter and there was a lot going on. About a half hour after I started listening, the dispatcher for the dept for where I was sitting comes on and says, "There's an old guy sitting in a red Challenger at the tracks, with a police radio in his car!". Hmm, I wonder who that could have been, and why someone called on me? The police all know me and my car, and the ones who have been around for a while knew my dogs too. A patrol car passes me and says, "What is he doing? Watching trains?". The dispatcher came back with, "The caller said she sees him there every so often and he seems suspicious!". "Tell her to get a life!" was the officer's response. How an old crippled up guy is "suspicious" I don't know. I guess that's better than years ago when some wannabe cop who lived across the street from where I park used to call about my headlights coming through his windows (Apparently, he couldn't afford or never heard of those newfangled "drape" things), or one of my dogs barking. He couldn't complain about the 50 or so trains blaring their horn, so he had to complain about poor Molly, who admittedly was a mess, and sometimes King yapped too. He was, sad to say, the cause of most if not all of her stress:
hassled.jpg
Here they are as young adults with King messing with her. She's licking her lips because she's nervous. It's hard growing up with a brother who is an "Evil Genius" and you're just "average".

lolbananalol2

Premium Subscriber
I was sitting outside town with my SDS200 plugged into my cigarette lighter and there was a lot going on. About a half hour after I started listening, the dispatcher for the dept for where I was sitting comes on and says, "There's an old guy sitting in a red Challenger at the tracks, with a police radio in his car!". Hmm, I wonder who that could have been, and why someone called on me? The police all know me and my car, and the ones who have been around for a while knew my dogs too. A patrol car passes me and says, "What is he doing? Watching trains?". The dispatcher came back with, "The caller said she sees him there every so often and he seems suspicious!". "Tell her to get a life!" was the officer's response. How an old crippled up guy is "suspicious" I don't know. I guess that's better than years ago when some wannabe cop who lived across the street from where I park used to call about my headlights coming through his windows (Apparently, he couldn't afford or never heard of those newfangled "drape" things), or one of my dogs barking. He couldn't complain about the 50 or so trains blaring their horn, so he had to complain about poor Molly, who admittedly was a mess, and sometimes King yapped too. He was, sad to say, the cause of most if not all of her stress:
View attachment 71338
Here they are as young adults with King messing with her. She's licking her lips because she's nervous. It's hard growing up with a brother who is an "Evil Genius" and you're just "average".

I like the officers response [emoji1787][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk