Funny/Odd things heard on the scanner

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Just heard - CHP Border division - outhouse in number one lane and several people got out to use the outhouse! Did a double take on that one! Then heard unit come back asking "Did you say people stopped to use the outhouse?" Dispatch came back and responded "That's affirm!".

Desperate times, desperate measures, I guess, buuutt...?

Bet somebody's going to raise a stink about that one!

Was this "outhouse" one of the CBP shacks?

PrivatelyJeff

Has more money than sense
Premium Subscriber
Just heard - CHP Border division - outhouse in number one lane and several people got out to use the outhouse! Did a double take on that one! Then heard unit come back asking "Did you say people stopped to use the outhouse?" Dispatch came back and responded "That's affirm!".

Desperate times, desperate measures, I guess, buuutt...?

Bet somebody's going to raise a stink about that one!

I work in ag and they have them at harvest sites for the field crews and I see people pull over and use them all the time.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
One of the Dispatcher/Controllers for IMPD just now: "Hmmm, looks like this is an actual landline. Wow!" Now filing under Signs of the Times 2019.... LOL

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
This is a good thread, I've got a couple... dispatcher calls car 22-XX and asks if they're available for a call and she says I really don't want to give this out. The car comes back and says I'll take it. She says I have a criminal mischief in the parking lot of XYZ, a woman says that someone super glued a dildo to the hood of her car.

22-XX comes back and says you've been waiting to give out that call haven't you and at that point the dispatcher is laughing hysterically and says no, no I wasn't.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I'm a retired newspaper reporter and now I work part-time for a news service. Quite a while ago now I was working the police desk with the scanners going. The story of the day was a seventeen-year-old pregnant high schooler who was missing and the boyfriend was a subject of interest.

I heard a call for a suspicious object in the D&R canal, it was about 5 minutes away and the first thing I thought of was the girl. The car arrives on the scene and very quietly said we have a class 5 in the canal, call supervisor and CIB. (FYI a class 5 it's a dead person). So the dispatcher comes back and says I did not receive your transmission please repeat, she tends to be a little rude. So the car repeated it in a low tone and says we have a class 5 in the canal. The dispatcher comes back and now she's angry and says you're going to have to speak up I cannot receive your transmission, please repeat!

The cop came back and yelled "WE HAVE A DEAD BODY IN THE CANAL"!!!... I was pulling up to the scene at the time.

It turned out to be the missing girl and the boyfriend confessed later that night.

CrabbyMilton

One that I heard years ago during a slow period. Deputy comes on testing his radio. "1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10." "Can I put my shoes back on now?" "Sure if you can find somebody to tie them."

nvanw27

River Central, TVC
BATA is a goldmine for these things.

A few months ago, I had my scanner on, and I went out to get the mail. When I came back inside, the Dispatcher was singing 'I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing' over the air! Pretty strange at first, but I rather enjoyed it to be honest.

During the winter, quite a few bus drivers would swear at the weather. Including the weather who, when hit by another car, said 'Aw F#$*, I just got hit'. The Dispatcher refrained from laughing until the driver made sure everyone was OK.

Ant9270

The Green Weenie
“Respond over to the area of the trailway, for a male pushing two loaves of wonderbread in a stroller, dressed as a female. Just check and advise, please”

PD had a foot pursuit and the suspect got tackled in a shopping center parking lot.
They called for medics to check the suspect out before transporting to jail.

A few minutes later dispatch asked the unit to confirm his location because the FD was having problems locating him.
He said "just have them look for all the flashing red lights, they can't miss us."

A few seconds later he said "if they do miss us then maybe we don't want them."
-------------------------
San Diego FD was working a fire in a liquor store in La Jolla one night. Radio traffic from the interior crew was really poor due to the SCBA mics not working right, the IC had to have almost every call repeated. Shortly after knockdown the clearest call of the night was made, a male voice said "dude I gotta piss, I mean I gotta pee so bad " and then his radio unkeyed.

A few days later that engine made a medical run on my street while I was working in the yard. When they got ready to leave I went to the truck and asked the captain "did your guy in the liquor store fire ever get to pee?" All the guys on the crew busted out laughing.

W3DMV

Fire dispatch to local amusement park. Chief arrives and
reports a working structure fire. Dispatch tones out a working
structure assignment (10 units), but chief fails to tell the dispatcher
it’s only the windmill on the miniature golf coarse which is about a
4 X 4 Ft miniature !
Next due engine is heard the say, “WTF” on arrival..

k7ng

Electronics professional
Premium Subscriber
Couple years ago... in this part of the world, snow is very rare, but we got a fairly good amount on this occasion. Apparently police vehicles don't normally carry tire chains around here:

"Dispatch, I've slid down the hill, I'm at the bottom & can't drive out..."
(Dispatch): "Unit (xxx), will you see what you can do for (yyy)?"
(10 minutes elapse): "Dispatch, this is (xxx). I slid down the hill and into (yyy). Don't send another unit, just a tow truck or something."

twobytwo

I had tuned in the school system when an employee replying to some one on the other end " You need to leave you beverages at home the PTA board just heard you". I did hear the first transmission , guess he was talking about adult beverages.

Jim_Shaffer

Dispatch to police on a repeat nuisance caller: "I told her that if she doesn't answer the door you're going to kick it in."

N4DJC

A few days ago, evidently a stake out. Unknown LE talkgroup.

“If he picks up the package, I’m going to pounce on him”

I could have sworn I heard a low “meow” a few seconds later.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Overheard on a call for K9 and PIT cars on a chase... "K *BARK BARK BARKBARKBARK BARK* Control I'm *BARK BARK BARKBARKBARK*" "Ummm... Control to K9 unit, tell your partner I'm clear on bark bark, but you need to 10-09 whatever you were trying to say." "Frank 223, Control, I will be the PIT car, I am 3 behind I think that is K29."....