Funny/Odd things heard on the scanner

appalling_hauling

Premium Subscriber
Years ago,there was a fight at a strip club (yes,I know,shocking) and of course some idiot just had to run. 1 of the officers dropped their handheld and of course some guy picked it up and started a conversation with the dispatcher who was not amused.
He then asked if he should give it to an officer.
"YES!". she growled.

Shards

Last night on FRS/GMRS1, I heard a couple kids. Didn’t think much of it until one of them said something about cars trying to corner them. So I fired up my radio and keyed up to ask if they were alright and did the police need to be called. She seemed pretty upset to hear me on the channel.

KG4DRF

Just happened. Had 911 page out ambulance to make who was lost in woods. Ambulance got to scene to find out guy was 2 miles inside of thick, hilly woods. Ambulance had to tell 911 dispatch that they did not have equipment to get into the woods to page out vfd and rescue squad.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
In some places ATV should be standard first responder gear. If big cities use em in crowds then why not use em for places they were designed for.

KG4DRF

I think requirements for our 911 dispatchers are that they can answer phone, "911, what is your emergency". Not the brightest bulbs in the area. Had one night sent a vfd to vehicle fire. One of the responding firefighters came up on a separate vehicle fire. Took them 10 minutes to get the dispatcher to realize that they had a 2nd fire that needed to be responded to as well.

zapman987

Premium Subscriber
I think requirements for our 911 dispatchers are that they can answer phone, "911, what is your emergency". Not the brightest bulbs in the area. Had one night sent a vfd to vehicle fire. One of the responding firefighters came up on a separate vehicle fire. Took them 10 minutes to get the dispatcher to realize that they had a 2nd fire that needed to be responded to as well.
Been there, had to deal with that. Thats when you just deal with it directly yourself. Call for mutual aid. Get them on the radio and explain theres a 2nd fire. Or have them come deal with the first and you go to the second.

Mike_G_D

Just heard a little while ago - dude on a scooter chasing folks threatening to whip them with his genitals.

And a lady complaining about an invisible man coming to her house and harassing her every night.

Not a full moon but...

scanmanmi

lady complaining about an invisible man coming to her house and harassing her every night.
Back when I did air conditioning service a lady told me she knew what the problem was because her dead husband told her.

Few days ago I heard one employee telling another to replay the security camera because a couple just bought an engagement ring and left it there at the A&W. Then I heard him say "stand exactly where they were" "Point to exactly where it was" etc.

appalling_hauling

Premium Subscriber
Around 1990,before Evansville Police were drafted into the GE-Erikson system (now P25) they were on VHF 125.1300 mghz. Someone passed out ( or was left) on the now abandoned railroad tracks that bordered the north line of Wesselman Park and the south border of McDonald golf course. 1 intrepid officer thought to cut across the golf course and ended up deep sixing his newly issued Chevrolet Caprice right into a water hole.
Poor guy didn't know the traps on the course and should have followed his fellow officers to the staging area on the east side of the park on the bordering road.
I couldn't stop laughing that not only would somebody would try to reach anywhere near the thick brush on both sides of the tracks that no self respecting Jeep owners would dare,much less someone demanding so much out of a newly issued squad car.
Of course the dispatcher made him repeat his location twice so that everyone listening could hear,thus starting the torture yet to come.
Basically I am paraphrasing but he did try to maintain his professionalism in his first transmission.
Unit-"Car **,Im on McDonald Golf course and I am stuck in one of the ponds out here".
After the dispatcher clarified and confirmed his position there was a brief silence on the channel,proof that his colleagues had to fight to maintain composure.
Whatever chances of his superior being amused when he keyed up.
"Before the unit is towed,I have to document what and why a new car ended up in a drink on a golf course in the middle of the night trying to access an area blocked by a train. I`ll be there after we speak with the crew".
I could almost smell the destructive accumulation in his underwear upon his acknowledgment of the message. Of course I was happy I wasn't that guy.

appalling_hauling

Premium Subscriber
And there was a medical call at an apartment complex of a woman complaining of "explosive gas".
No wonder the fire department was toned out to assist.

CrabbyMilton

A couple I heard on the FD frequency years ago. "Dispatcher, could you send the shop man to our location, we're experiencing some difficulty with our rig." The dispatcher comes back..."Engine xx, per the shop man, what kind of difficulty are you experiencing with you rig?"
"It won't start". I would say that is a valid problem but it sounded funny.

A rig called in once and said they had to go out of service because the siren didn't work.

Another rig came on and ...."HAHAHAHAHAHA"

CrabbyMilton

One from a few years ago on a railroad frequency(mostly paraphrase)
Yard employee...How did these cars get on this track? The yard dispatcher...I would assume an engine put them there. Yard employee...I don't suppose there's anyway to find out who put them there is there? Yard dispatcher...I guess not.

zapman987

Premium Subscriber
This is an odd one. FD dispatched for a lift assist. At the hospital helipad. They were transferring someone to/from a helicopter. I would think they could get a few orderlies to assist, and further there would be weight limitations that would have kicked in first...

CrabbyMilton

I know what you mean..."What do they do all day?" I have heard EMS calls dispatched TO hospital ER's. For crying out loud anyway!!
Either people get tired of waiting or they have a bunch of goofs that don't know what the heck they're doing at the hospital.

CrabbyMilton

I figured that much. Can’t have common sense anymore. Some guy is sick or injured right outside the hospital and they would just stand there like dopes.
I can understand a doctor calling for an ambulance for transport but this...

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I figured that much. Can’t have common sense anymore. Some guy is sick or injured right outside the hospital and they would just stand there like dopes.
I can understand a doctor calling for an ambulance for transport but this...

Hospital staff are not covered by hospital policies, or insurance, outside the walls of the building. If someone is in the parking lot, EMS, or whomever, needs to get that person to the door.

kc8jwt

Premium Subscriber
When I was younger I had saved my mowing money to purchase my own scanner. It was always great to listen to the sheriff's office. I remember at the time, the DNR didn't dispatch through their own offices. Our county game warden was through the sheriff's office. We ended up getting a snow storm and the sheriff's office ended up declaring a snow emergency. The deputies were out patrolling and the game warden was in high demand since he was the only one with a four wheel drive. He was out helping them and the sheriff's office asked him what his location was. He told the dispatcher that he wasn't sure if he was on the road or in someone's yard. Another deputy keys up the radio and tells him keep going. If you stop it won't be pretty.

It was also pretty neat back in the day before everyone went digital, the sheriff's office would announce on the radio for the scanner listeners the score of the football or basketball games in the county when they were home games.

More recently, we moved into a house closer to my work. My son joined Cub Scouts. The Cubmaster is a volunteer firefighter and had us meet at the main fire station in town and was going to let the boys basically climb on the trucks and show them the equipment. They went nuts and had a ball. The ladder truck was the one that they liked the most to get out in the basket on the water monitor. Some of them were sitting in the cab just looking around. One of the other fathers is a fireman too. He went up in the cab and turned on the master battery switch. They were playing with the lights and stuff and decided that they wanted to play with the headsets in the cab. Come to find out, the headsets were tied into the radio. The kids were talking to each other and then one decided they were going to either make a fart noise or actually fart into the mike. The Cubmaster got a call real quick about the boys making noises on the radio and then the fire chief showed up. He said he listened to the recording and they all got a chuckle out of it.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
One from a few years ago on a railroad frequency(mostly paraphrase)
Yard employee...How did these cars get on this track? The yard dispatcher...I would assume an engine put them there. Yard employee...I don't suppose there's anyway to find out who put them there is there? Yard dispatcher...I guess not.
LOL how not? Duh any move is on paper. Lazy Dispatch.