Funny/Odd things heard on the scanner

IC-R20

LoBand Nation
For the past few days I've listened to a group of obviously bored officers chit-chatting on the "Warrants" talk group over the Lake County Consolidated System. They were discussing favorite resturants, and other such things. Maybe they were staked out waiting to serve a warrant and just decided to pass the time. :D
Hope that talk group isn't an officially recorded one lmao

Our ECC was getting multiple calls from a lady yesterday to the point where they sent an officer to arrest her. When they put out the run the officer said 'be sure to keep her on the phone until I get there'.

'That won't be a problem' was the response. She was taken into custody.

IC-R20

LoBand Nation
Our ECC was getting multiple calls from a lady yesterday to the point where they sent an officer to arrest her. When they put out the run the officer said 'be sure to keep her on the phone until I get there'.

'That won't be a problem' was the response. She was taken into custody.
Calls for what though? Was it just random crazy nonsense?

Calls for what though? Was it just random crazy nonsense?
The dispatcher, pardon me, telecommunicator did not elaborate but from the tone of the conversation I'd say it was more harassment than a mental health issue. The officer said 'in custody' instead of the usually 'ID' for immediate detention.
This is not unheard of in ECCs from my experience.

Para078

Dallas Fire Department when Big Tex caught fire at the state fair, "Engine 6 is on, rather large cowboy, his clothes are on fire."

jeatock

Premium Subscriber
During a recent freezing rain event an ambulance (a part timer crew from far-away and obviously not one of our regular staff) was dispatched to a rural CVA.

Ambulance: "We slid off the road. We're back in route but we will have extended travel time. You better get a helicopter on the way."

Dispatch: "Have you looked outside?"

Ambulance: "Yeah, freezing rain ... oh ... never mind."

i386

GMRS WRFB260
Premium Subscriber
I have heard the coastguard on FRS Channels. I cannot remember the frequency or channel but seems like higher 467 something. I hear something about coastguard Jacksonville FL. I am about 160 miles from Jacksonville as the crow flies. I thought this was strange and it happens usually in the morning during stratospheric conditions. I am not sure they could be flying to Jacksonville why would they be on FRS? And if they are close what would happen if I try to communicate to them? My scanner did show the CT Code.

PrivatelyJeff

Has more money than sense
Premium Subscriber
I have heard the coastguard on FRS Channels. I cannot remember the frequency or channel but seems like higher 467 something. I hear something about coastguard Jacksonville FL. I am about 160 miles from Jacksonville as the crow flies. I thought this was strange and it happens usually in the morning during stratospheric conditions. I am not sure they could be flying to Jacksonville why would they be on FRS? And if they are close what would happen if I try to communicate to them? My scanner did show the CT Code.

they may be in a nearby frequency but it’s coming in so powerful it’s over powering your scanner. I get the same thing when I’m parked outside my local police station.They are UHF and I’ll hear them on FRS/GMRS frequencies.

i386

GMRS WRFB260
Premium Subscriber
But the scanner picked up the CT Code. And why would they be this far inland? BTW I noticed you are in Kings County CA. My niece is in Visalia close to Kings County.

IC-R20

LoBand Nation
People have screwed around with PMR446 radios which was basically like FRS for the EU until they allowed removeable antennas, now it's better. But anyways before that people have talked from UK to EU a lot before via tropo ducting.

Also any FRS frequency is easily programmed into a lot of commercial radios and has been done by organizations before so good chance it's over .5 watts.

Last edited:

zapman987

Premium Subscriber
Jax CG flys air for lots of GA and interior FL. Im 50 miles inland along I10 and see them flying all the time over the house. I wouldn't be surprised to see them flying 100-200 miles N or inland if needed.

As far as distance also, as JeffDS3 stated, an airplane can transmit a long way off if high enough. Look at how ADSB operates. I routinely get signals 300 miles away with my receiver for that.

IC-R20

LoBand Nation
I heard fire department tone out over the police channel. It's the same dispatch for both so you heard tones on the police dispatch than the call on fire. I didn't even realize at first because I scan both departments pretty fast so there was no noticeable dropout.

CrabbyMilton

One from a school bus company many years ago..."I got a booger in my nose. Can I pick it out while I'm driving or should I pull over?"

zapman987

Premium Subscriber
After a series of wreaks dispatched in about a 10 minute timespan, and this area is expecting snow later today, light rain in some but not all areas at time of dispatch

"Damn bumper cars out here, and the fun aint even started yet"