Funny/Odd things heard on the scanner

CrabbyMilton

When I was younger I had saved my mowing money to purchase my own scanner. It was always great to listen to the sheriff's office. I remember at the time, the DNR didn't dispatch through their own offices. Our county game warden was through the sheriff's office. We ended up getting a snow storm and the sheriff's office ended up declaring a snow emergency. The deputies were out patrolling and the game warden was in high demand since he was the only one with a four wheel drive. He was out helping them and the sheriff's office asked him what his location was. He told the dispatcher that he wasn't sure if he was on the road or in someone's yard. Another deputy keys up the radio and tells him keep going. If you stop it won't be pretty.

It was also pretty neat back in the day before everyone went digital, the sheriff's office would announce on the radio for the scanner listeners the score of the football or basketball games in the county when they were home games.

More recently, we moved into a house closer to my work. My son joined Cub Scouts. The Cubmaster is a volunteer firefighter and had us meet at the main fire station in town and was going to let the boys basically climb on the trucks and show them the equipment. They went nuts and had a ball. The ladder truck was the one that they liked the most to get out in the basket on the water monitor. Some of them were sitting in the cab just looking around. One of the other fathers is a fireman too. He went up in the cab and turned on the master battery switch. They were playing with the lights and stuff and decided that they wanted to play with the headsets in the cab. Come to find out, the headsets were tied into the radio. The kids were talking to each other and then one decided they were going to either make a fart noise or actually fart into the mike. The Cubmaster got a call real quick about the boys making noises on the radio and then the fire chief showed up. He said he listened to the recording and they all got a chuckle out of it.

That's funny about the kids. No harm done if the chief laughed about it. Of course now, kids can make all the fart noises they want on FRS radios. Heck, all they have to do is make their own video's on YOUTUBE like the late Angry Grandpa Charlie Green did.
Now, all you have to do is check you phone for sports scores.
Thanks for the laugh from this post. :)

CrabbyMilton

Or, he could have grabbed a locomotive and moved them himself. I guess if it's not a safety issue they just like to grump about it and not write everything down. Was still funny though.

zapman987

Premium Subscriber
When dispatch cant get ahold of an EMS unit
Dispatch: "Sheriff Unit XX, can you go to ABC Restaurant and see if EMS Unit YY is there"?

Sure enough they were. Gotta love knowing where folks go to breakfast every day.

ThomasB3131

This one I heard just yesterday:

Dispatcher: "engine X I show you responding to XXX location; patient on scene has fallen and hit her hard really head......"(Long Pause) comes back laughing and laughing in the background: "Hit her HEAD really HARD"

I laughed pretty hard at that one. :LOL: :LOL:

appalling_hauling

Premium Subscriber
In some places ATV should be standard first responder gear. If big cities use em in crowds then why not use em for places they were designed for.
Emergency responders should have ATVs. Not so much these so called parents buying their kids love purchasing motor vehicles that are hazardous if not operated properly. Which I see daily around here.
How long people choose to ignore the deaths,spinal and head injuries that are needlessly piling up isnt infinite.
As early as the next decade we could see states suing manufacturers to recoup medical costs as they did tobacco companies over people who just won't take responsibility for their lack of common sense.

appalling_hauling

Premium Subscriber
A male and female commandeered a police radio last night in the Mt. Vernon area. Using speed speech,the male said something and concluded it with the word s***.
The dispatcher called a unit to check status. Shortly afterward a female said "whatcha going to do about it?" I doubt it was anyone in custody.
Its happened before with prisoner transports particularly after a fight to to take the suspect in custody. 1 early morning a perturbed arrest resistor made a point to yell out m**********r everytime the transporting officer keyed the microphone so he left it open for a few seconds so his passenger could go through his dialect which never went beyond f*** you,m**********r.
Another situation,a officer keyed up to pass gas but it came out rough so he grunted out "Owwwww!" which got him caught on voice recognition by his fellow officers.

appalling_hauling

Premium Subscriber
Some folks around here recall a trooper who somehow locked down his mike while rolling down I 64. He was telling his passenger of a certain lady and her oral skills. Unable to contact the trooper, district 35 sent out another trooper to chase down the trooper.
The conversation ended abruptly with tge pursuing trooper pulling alongside and yelling, "Everything you said went out over the radio! "

mws72

Premium Subscriber
That time of the year again.

"Caller says a ghost was seen on their porch, At least a neighbor told the caller one was seen or a person dressed as one. They requests a property check"

citiot

ʇoᴉʇᴉɔ
Premium Subscriber
Many years ago I was in a mall food court discretely listening with headphones with Close Call on and scanner hidden in jacket.

Suddenly, several department store Loss Prevention guys showed up... looking for someone.... wearing earphones.

Close call hit 'beep beep' - "he's over by the cash machine, confirmed stolen check!"
Another LP guy was right next to me and says over radio "please repeat? where?"
Without missing a beat, I looked at him and said "he's by the cash machine!'
LP guy's eyes popped out. Freaked.... Mouth agape. Astonished.
Then LP guy says over the radio in pseudo police speak "please be advised!, there is a guy with a scanner listening!"

IC-R20

LoBand Nation
That time of the year again.

"Caller says a ghost was seen on their porch, At least a neighbor told the caller one was seen or a person dressed as one. They requests a property check"

Yes I heard some calls like that myself again recently. Crazy folk dialing in about multiple people trying to steal something outside their house or breaking in and the repeater gets toned out. Then later their family member will call in or dispatch will let everyone know they have a history of being crazy. Makes for fun late night listening I guess.

Many years ago I was in a mall food court discretely listening with headphones with Close Call on and scanner hidden in jacket.

Suddenly, several department store Loss Prevention guys showed up... looking for someone.... wearing earphones.

Close call hit 'beep beep' - "he's over by the cash machine, confirmed stolen check!"
Another LP guy was right next to me and says over radio "please repeat? where?"
Without missing a beat, I looked at him and said "he's by the cash machine!'
LP guy's eyes popped out. Freaked.... Mouth agape. Astonished.
Then LP guy says over the radio in pseudo police speak "please be advised!, there is a guy with a scanner listening!"

I still do this at walmart. The IC-R20 is nice and flat so I can listen in on them while sitting at the in store mcdonalds with radio inside inner coat pocket and small earbud in one ear. Target is even more fun because security also uses radios.

IC-R20

LoBand Nation
I could hear comms between the people in Del Taco wearing the drive thru headsets even though the drive thru intercom was off. A homeless guy got mad and kicked the glass out on the front door. I switched to police dispatch right after I saw cruisers roll down the street to hear him get arrested.

It's interesting how you can hear the more in depth details behind police dispatch calls by listening to business radio systems, the trouble is knowing which ones as stuff happening is unpredictable.

IC-R20

LoBand Nation
Blinds closed, porch lights off, bowl of candy all to myself. Let's see all that crazy halloween traffic on the radio.

zapman987

Premium Subscriber
Got to hear/watch a "live" dispatch tonight. I can only imagine the real dispatch.

Giving candy out at my fire station tonight, district highway patrol stopped by to hang out as well.

Guy screeches up seeing their cars "theres a lady with no top on in the road, down by the interstate". Off the troopers went. 5 mins later, every duty sheriff deputy also went by... Im sure Ill hear later this week the outcome of that call.

IC-R20

LoBand Nation
Got to hear/watch a "live" dispatch tonight. I can only imagine the real dispatch.

Giving candy out at my fire station tonight, district highway patrol stopped by to hang out as well.

Guy screeches up seeing their cars "theres a lady with no top on in the road, down by the interstate". Off the troopers went. 5 mins later, every duty sheriff deputy also went by... Im sure Ill hear later this week the outcome of that call.

Nice. Local PD in my area also stations around town after duty handing out candy as well.

Only one incident tonight with someone crashing into a street light and making it drop across the road.

i386

GMRS WRFB260
Premium Subscriber
Want to know what I heard in front of a Kroger store on 467.8500 Mhz? One employee asked another employee to go potty for her. The employee replied "I am on the way to get your bladder" I was laughing so hard I almost ran into someone. I used to work at Kroger and I would say smart things on the radio and I would get in trouble I was pulled in the office once and it was not anything bad.

CrabbyMilton

That’s funny. School bus freqs are often a source of potty dialogue. However, if a kid has to go, under no circumstances whatsoever are the drivers allowed to stop and take the kid to do their business. So they often have to clean up messes after the routes,

i386

GMRS WRFB260
Premium Subscriber
I do have a radio that will transmit on 467.8500 Mhz. At the time I did not have the PL tone but I have found the PL tone for Kroger. But I am going to use common sense because I don't want to go to jail. But it is tempting to mess with these stores. I have heard restaurants use FRS radio's and once I did mess with them and they were asking who is this get off our channel. Not too long these businesses started using the 467 Mhz band.

appalling_hauling

Premium Subscriber
Want to know what I heard in front of a Kroger store on 467.8500 Mhz? One employee asked another employee to go potty for her. The employee replied "I am on the way to get your bladder" I was laughing so hard I almost ran into someone. I used to work at Kroger and I would say smart things on the radio and I would get in trouble I was pulled in the office once and it was not anything bad.
Wal-mart used to put its scanners on display. However,I decided to reprogram every one of them with the manager frequencies and it took them 3 days to finally take down the display. Meanwhile,the auto center people got to to hear everything said on those portable radios. That really got the managers upset which made me happy.

appalling_hauling

Premium Subscriber
Though the Ford Crown Victoria is out of production,it had its problems too,though it still was more reliable that the Tarass or the overpriced Explorer badged as Interceptor.
Several years ago,a deputy was having issues with his commission and it stopped dead on him. So he radioed for a tow and you could hear the frustration in his voice because he had to collect his gear and take it to a reserve unit.
Another officer keyed up to joke that now he would be blessed with the reserve car to which the annoyed deputy replied, "Just what I need,another f****** Ford!"

appalling_hauling

Premium Subscriber
I do have a radio that will transmit on 467.8500 Mhz. At the time I did not have the PL tone but I have found the PL tone for Kroger. But I am going to use common sense because I don't want to go to jail. But it is tempting to mess with these stores. I have heard restaurants use FRS radio's and once I did mess with them and they were asking who is this get off our channel. Not too long these businesses started using the 467 Mhz band.
My buddy updated his CB handheld with a hair dryer frequencies which put him right into drive thru channels. So he was a terror for awhile messing with fast food customers who would pull up to order processed garbage.
He really had it in for Burger King. He would belch loudly and tell customers that he was a professional whopper flopper and he didn't time for their bull***t.
He never got caught which is a mystery to me because he was way too cocky.