Funny/Odd things heard on the scanner

CrabbyMilton

Though the Ford Crown Victoria is out of production,it had its problems too,though it still was more reliable that the Tarass or the overpriced Explorer badged as Interceptor.
Several years ago,a deputy was having issues with his commission and it stopped dead on him. So he radioed for a tow and you could hear the frustration in his voice because he had to collect his gear and take it to a reserve unit.
Another officer keyed up to joke that now he would be blessed with the reserve car to which the annoyed deputy replied, "Just what I need,another f****** Ford!"
Yeah and FORD can’t even deliver the new ones just yet because of quality problems. See folks, if they would just leave it the way it was and/or use proven parts until they are sure the new ones will work, this wouldn’t happen.

i386

GMRS WRFB260
Premium Subscriber
I heard Walmart used with 100 PL tone MURS not sure how true it is.

IC-R20

LoBand Nation
My buddy updated his CB handheld with a hair dryer frequencies which put him right into drive thru channels. So he was a terror for awhile messing with fast food customers who would pull up to order processed garbage.
He really had it in for Burger King. He would belch loudly and tell customers that he was a professional whopper flopper and he didn't time for their bull***t.
He never got caught which is a mystery to me because he was way too cocky.

Because nobody cares, including the FCC most of the time. No jail time in the rare event something does happen and they just tell you stop or face fines. Only saw it happen once to one guy who basically did it all day everyday for a year and he still kept doing it unimposed right after. You have a better chance of winning the lottery. People mess with drive thrus and walmart MURS all the time. Most of which run CSQ but a lot of modern handheld scanners can find the PL/DPL if there is one.

i386

GMRS WRFB260
Premium Subscriber
My buddy updated his CB handheld with a hair dryer frequencies which put him right into drive thru channels. So he was a terror for awhile messing with fast food customers who would pull up to order processed garbage.
He really had it in for Burger King. He would belch loudly and tell customers that he was a professional whopper flopper and he didn't time for their bull***t.
He never got caught which is a mystery to me because he was way too cocky.

Does a hair dryer or toaster really have a RF Crystal? I heard that once but took it as a sarcastic joke it was a video's I saw they were
being sarcastic about it.

mws72

Premium Subscriber
Does a hair dryer or toaster really have a RF Crystal? I heard that once but took it as a sarcastic joke it was a video's I saw they were
being sarcastic about it.
I have seen videos on youtube where they take a crystal out of a toaster, so I looked and sure enough there was a crystal in the circuit. Why I don't don't know.

mws72

Premium Subscriber
Many years ago I was in a mall food court discretely listening with headphones with Close Call on and scanner hidden in jacket.

Suddenly, several department store Loss Prevention guys showed up... looking for someone.... wearing earphones.

Close call hit 'beep beep' - "he's over by the cash machine, confirmed stolen check!"
Another LP guy was right next to me and says over radio "please repeat? where?"
Without missing a beat, I looked at him and said "he's by the cash machine!'
LP guy's eyes popped out. Freaked.... Mouth agape. Astonished.
Then LP guy says over the radio in pseudo police speak "please be advised!, there is a guy with a scanner listening!"

A couple of years ago, I was looking through pants on a shelf in WalMart and found a HT. I didn't want the piece of junk and so gave to the greeter when I left the store. He was so happy I found it. I though maybe he was the one who lost it,

i386

GMRS WRFB260
Premium Subscriber
A couple of years ago, I was looking through pants on a shelf in WalMart and found a HT. I didn't want the piece of junk and so gave to the greeter when I left the store. He was so happy I found it. I though maybe he was the one who lost it,

Where I used to work one day I was very tired. I got off work got in my truck and realized I had my radio. I went on home because I did not feel like walking in and I was going back the next day. So I got home rested awhile and remembered I had the radio and needed to put it with my things. But first I turned it on keyed the mike and searched 460-470 band on my scanner. That's when I found 467.850 and figured out the 4 channels it used.

SDEC_SCAN

2130 hours on halloween 2019:

Dispatch: Suspicious male carrying a witches hat sitting on curb.
Officer: 10-4...did you say witches hat?
Dispatch: Afirm...the male said hello to the RP and then walked away... RP thought it was suspicious because no trick or treaters should still be out at this time.

IC-R20

LoBand Nation
So I was listening to Walmart the other day while closeby and heard a lady in the pharmacy section calling ahead to the receipt checker lady to help chase down this old guy. He walked up and asked for antacid after already paying for other stuff and just dropped it in the bag and tried to walk off lmao

kittrav

Premium Subscriber
Mid 80s. Clemson, S.C. Living a few hundred feet from Norfolk Southern RR mainline. Slight upgrade towards Central from low trestle over Lake Hartwell.

Hear diesel locomotive(s) revved up, but not moving. Like a vehicle's engine racing in neutral.

Turn on scanner to 160.95 MHz, and hear the following:
Train crew: Wheels are slipping. Unable to move forward.
Southern Chief Dispatcher Greenville (S.C.): Had a report of a previous train arriving with a tank car leaking soybean oil. Is that what is on the tracks?
Crew: Not going to get out to taste it. Going to back up, and get a running start.
Dispatcher: I can't approve that.

Long freight. Luckily no grade crossings until far side of the Lake. Backed up without incident.

Made it on second attempt, with diesels roaring.

IC-R20

LoBand Nation
Mid 80s. Clemson, S.C. Living a few hundred feet from Norfolk Southern RR mainline. Slight upgrade towards Central from low trestle over Lake Hartwell.

Hear diesel locomotive(s) revved up, but not moving. Like a vehicle's engine racing in neutral.

Turn on scanner to 160.95 MHz, and hear the following:
Train crew: Wheels are slipping. Unable to move forward.
Southern Chief Dispatcher Greenville (S.C.): Had a report of a previous train arriving with a tank car leaking soybean oil. Is that what is on the tracks?
Crew: Not going to get out to taste it. Going to back up, and get a running start.
Dispatcher: I can't approve that.

Long freight. Luckily no grade crossings until far side of the Lake. Backed up without incident.

Made it on second attempt, with diesels roaring.

Hehe too bad the diesels don't have sand tanks to grit the tracks like the ole Steamers do.

i386

GMRS WRFB260
Premium Subscriber
I got one for you. Back during the last hurricane the contraflow traffic I-16 From Savannah to Macon was West bound only. After they opened it back up. I was hearing Deputies complaining that people were getting off I-16 and turning back on the wrong way. I knew what was going on the whole time. Google maps was showing part of I-16 still closed. So people I am sorry if this offends anyone but people driving were ignorant enough to get off and get back on the wrong way. I just sat and listened for awhile I was thinking maybe I should call the Sheriff of that county and let them know. But I just sat and listened and then a wreck where a 18 wheeler hit a car I said that's it I got to call. So I call and the lady it took her forever to figure out she was saying that is a google problem I was trying to explain to her that some GPS's if not all I am not sure but the GPS works from Google. She finally understood when a deputy insisted she call the DOT for them to contact whoever I think they called google. This might be a little off topic but just thought I would post it.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I got one for you. Back during the last hurricane the contraflow traffic I-16 From Savannah to Macon was West bound only. After they opened it back up. I was hearing Deputies complaining that people were getting off I-16 and turning back on the wrong way. I knew what was going on the whole time. Google maps was showing part of I-16 still closed. So people I am sorry if this offends anyone but people driving were ignorant enough to get off and get back on the wrong way. I just sat and listened for awhile I was thinking maybe I should call the Sheriff of that county and let them know. But I just sat and listened and then a wreck where a 18 wheeler hit a car I said that's it I got to call. So I call and the lady it took her forever to figure out she was saying that is a google problem I was trying to explain to her that some GPS's if not all I am not sure but the GPS works from Google. She finally understood when a deputy insisted she call the DOT for them to contact whoever I think they called google. This might be a little off topic but just thought I would post it.

Just trying to clarify:

Was this on the stretch that had been contra-flow, but returned to normal? If so, people were still trying to go the contra, thusly against traffic?

i386

GMRS WRFB260
Premium Subscriber
Just trying to clarify:

Was this on the stretch that had been contra-flow, but returned to normal? If so, people were still trying to go the contra, thusly against traffic?

Yes they were mostly getting off the exit and getting back on the wrong way. They should have known if the cross bars were up then it was not closed.