Funny/Odd things heard on the scanner

ArkTex

KA5AAA
Premium Subscriber
Listening to AR HLTH on AWIN, someone stuck a radio on transmit. Unknown location, unknown who was transmitting. Sounded like a front desk staff that was near a radio. This was recorded around 1am, recorded on a TRX-1. Have pulled file from scanner, working on how to drop it, since it sure it interesting. Never thought a random scan would come of this.

Reconrider

Listening to AR HLTH on AWIN, someone stuck a radio on transmit. Unknown location, unknown who was transmitting. Sounded like a front desk staff that was near a radio. This was recorded around 1am, recorded on a TRX-1. Have pulled file from scanner, working on how to drop it, since it sure it interesting. Never thought a random scan would come of this.
I think Dropbox can play audio from the website and not have to download it

bobmich52

This happens a lot in the city of Hartford CT

Hartford fire generally sends full response to automatic fire alarms

District 1 or first due to fire alarm you can discontinue response

Alarms activated due to recreational smokeo_O

I can only imagine the uptick in calls when they legalize it here in ct

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Many years ago, I was monitoring what I believed to be a frequency used by the FBI. I had partially based that assumption on hearing communications in the clear which sounded like field agents surveilling some foreign individuals. During one transmission, the dispatcher forgot to unkey the mic long enough for me to overhear him answer the phone and identify themselves to the caller as the local office of the FBI. Maybe I should have sent them a request for a QSL card. :LOL: I'll bet they wouldn't have seen the humor in that though.

OpenCarrier

Local city policeman was asking back where he was before he got to the apartments for a routine angry married couple arguing call....

Officer A: Hey B where are you?
Officer B: I am coming thru Home Depot as we speak be there in thirty seconds
Officer A: 10-4 she won't talk to me

I yell LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTTTT!!!!! at the radio. All those shoppers in there better get out of the way!!!:LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Heck of a shortcut!!!!

Osprey1163

Premium Subscriber
This isn't really "funny", but it definitely gave me pause.
Sheriff Deputy: "Could you please look at the report I just sent and give me the address for the complainant, I can't find my notes right now"
Dispatch: "You know, I'm trying to get out of here, can't it wait for someone else?"

I've been listening to scanners since the mid 80's and I've NEVER heard a dispatcher say something like that in the clear! LOL

Osprey1163

Premium Subscriber
Halloween and one of the local professional clowns (no, really!) was standing in his yard next to a highway waving to people. Of course, someone called and complained. The police went by and asked him to at least stand further back because people were complaining. Someone called again to complain after he'd moved further back.
Dispatch: "We have another complaint about the man dressed as a clown waving at traffic. Just go by again and tell him he's going to have to stop at least until after rush-hour."
Deputy: "Ok, I'll go talk to him. Anyone know this clowns name?"

It was a once in a career opportunity....

CrabbyMilton

I remember a suburban FD dispatch a unit to a call and shortly the unit acknowledged at least twice without a response from the dispatcher.
Then the dispatcher said in a rather "karen" tone...Engine 2 I need to know if you are enroute and received the dispatch. The unit says...We acknowledged you 2 or 3 times and you never responded. The snarky karen...Well I can't hear you over the siren.

wbswetnam

Heard this morning about 3:30AM, right after a violent thunderstorm:
Deputy 1: "Dispatch, have you received any calls of a car running off the interstate at about the 88 mile marker? I see a blinking light off in the field."
Deputy 2: "What do you see, 14?"
Deputy 1: "There's a bright blue blinking light off in the field. I'm going to get over on county road (something) and try to get a closer look."
Dispatch: "We haven't received any calls of any vehicles running off the interstate."
(five or so minutes later)
Deputy 1: "Well, the light is gone now. It was a bright, blue flashing light, about 300 yards off in this field." (pause) "THAT... was... weird."

OpenCarrier

A woman called the cops on an old guy riding a moped/scooter/***gio type deal on a WALKING PATH. The woman asked the guy to stop. He refused, an argument ensued (he wasn't speeding or reckless. He was just cursing weaving in and out of patrons) and the lady's husband told her to just call the law. Well the call went out they were busy. The supervisor asked who called the law was it a park ranger or a patron. The subordinate answered to the Sarge "She is a Karen who called it in." The guy rode away from the path and the sarge had a strong talk with him not to ride there.

wbswetnam

When it was still analog, I accidentally stumbled upon a cell phone conversation.
The guy called his wife to say he was working late and then he immediately called his mistress to say he was dropping by.
Back in the early 1990s, I had a Bearcat 800XLT, with which I sometimes also 'accidentally stumbled' across cell phone conversations. The best was the time I heard a guy calling the local sheriff's office to report a drunk driver in front of him. I was able to monitor every aspect of the situation: the ongoing cell phone conversation between the concerned citizen and the dispatcher, the dispatcher and the patrol cars she summoned to the drunk's location, and the tactical channel the deputies used to coordinate their response.