Funny/Odd things heard on the scanner

CrabbyMilton

Another time a C130 landed and a DC10 was waiting for permission to take off along with another airliner on final. For some strange reason, the C130 stopped 3/4 of the way before joining the taxiway thereby blocking the runway. The ATC got rather mad and told the DC10 to cancel his takeoff and yelling at the C130 to get off the runway. I can't remember what the C130 pilot said but he moved. Must have been his first day but that could have been a disaster and scary at the least.

OpenCarrier

Today EMS was trying to locate someone who had a panic attack. They went into the men's room of a park. The echo-o-o-o-o-o-o.... Thru the radio-o-o-o

(MDC-1200) Yes dispatch we have him he's in here we get him calmed down and show us in route in route-route route route.....

wbswetnam

(Heard this morning at 4:30am on the statewide emergency management channel)

User: Hello? ...(long pause)... Hey!... (long pause)... Is anybody there?
ADEM: Sir this is ADEM. You're on MAC call.
User: ...(long pause)... Is anybody there?
ADEM: (sternly) Sir, this is the Arkansas Department of Emergency Management! Do you require assistance?!
User: ...(long pause)... Ah, no, I was just trying out this new radio I got.

Some dumb&&& was assigned an AWIN radio with access to ADEM and decided to play with it. At 4:30am!

OpenCarrier

(Heard this morning at 4:30am on the statewide emergency management channel)

User: Hello? ...(long pause)... Hey!... (long pause)... Is anybody there?
ADEM: Sir this is ADEM. You're on MAC call.
User: ...(long pause)... Is anybody there?
ADEM: (sternly) Sir, this is the Arkansas Department of Emergency Management! Do you require assistance?!
User: ...(long pause)... Ah, no, I was just trying out this new radio I got.

Some dumb&&& was assigned an AWIN radio with access to ADEM and decided to play with it. At 4:30am!
Time for a NICE STUN KILL command.... Admin??? AWIN??

CrabbyMilton

Years ago, I was watching the morning local news and listening to the remote broadcasting channel for this station. They did a remote report at a sports facility talking about an event later in the day. The young woman being interviewed was pleasant but turned out to be a bimple head.(I made up bimple :) ) Toward the end of the interview she says...It starts at 2:00pm on ABC. Then I heard the director tell the crew that it was a good interview. But added, tell her next time not to mention the rival network. See, this is a FOX o&o station of many years so understandably wouldn't sit well with me either.

Randyk4661

Premium Subscriber
This happened atleast 30 years ago. I recall a news media story between a field reporter and the assignment desk that was directing her to the scene. A large gasoline tanker flipped over and was on fire putting up a large plume of black smoke that could be seen for miles away. Went something like this,
Rep. I'm in the area, I don't see any smoke.
Desk, You should see something, TV shows alot of smoke going high in the air.
Rep., No don't see anything.
Desk, Where are you?
Rep. At 405 and Brookhurst
Desk, You're south of the fire, you need to go north on Brookhurst.
Rep, Okay.
A few minutes later,
Rep. I still don't see any smoke and I'm coming up on the 605.
Desk, You're going the wrong way. I said to go north on Brookhurst, You're north on the 405.
Rep. Brookhurst is an east west street, I can't go north . (Not true, Brookhurst is north/south. The freeway signs even say North/ South)
Desk, You need to turn around and go east on the 22 fwy. Once you're on the 22 the smoke should be in front of you. Just follow the smoke.
Rep. Okay I'm coming into Long beach on the 22 now.
Desk, You're still going the wrong way, turn around and go the opposite direction on the 22.
Rep. I didn't see a ramp for the 22 east.
Desk Did you pass the VA hospital yet?
Rep, Yes, passed it a couple of minutes ago.
Desk Did you turn around? Are you going east?
Rep. I think so.
Desk, Just keep going east on 7th. street, it turns into the 22 fwy. It will merge with the 405 for a short distance then split off to it's own again. Just follow the smoke.
Rep. Okay I think I'm going the right direction now.
Rep., Okay I see the smoke now.

You could tell the desk guy was pulling his hair out.
The news radio station this happen with isn't on the air anymore.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Another time a C130 landed and a DC10 was waiting for permission to take off along with another airliner on final. For some strange reason, the C130 stopped 3/4 of the way before joining the taxiway thereby blocking the runway. The ATC got rather mad and told the DC10 to cancel his takeoff and yelling at the C130 to get off the runway. I can't remember what the C130 pilot said but he moved. Must have been his first day but that could have been a disaster and scary at the least.

I think that C130 driver actually lives in my neighborhood. Always drives slowly, has his left blinker on, then stops short in the left lane and makes a quick right turn.

CrabbyMilton

This happened atleast 30 years ago. I recall a news media story between a field reporter and the assignment desk that was directing her to the scene. A large gasoline tanker flipped over and was on fire putting up a large plume of black smoke that could be seen for miles away. Went something like this,
Rep. I'm in the area, I don't see any smoke.
Desk, You should see something, TV shows alot of smoke going high in the air.
Rep., No don't see anything.
Desk, Where are you?
Rep. At 405 and Brookhurst
Desk, You're south of the fire, you need to go north on Brookhurst.
Rep, Okay.
A few minutes later,
Rep. I still don't see any smoke and I'm coming up on the 605.
Desk, You're going the wrong way. I said to go north on Brookhurst, You're north on the 405.
Rep. Brookhurst is an east west street, I can't go north . (Not true, Brookhurst is north/south. The freeway signs even say North/ South)
Desk, You need to turn around and go east on the 22 fwy. Once you're on the 22 the smoke should be in front of you. Just follow the smoke.
Rep. Okay I'm coming into Long beach on the 22 now.
Desk, You're still going the wrong way, turn around and go the opposite direction on the 22.
Rep. I didn't see a ramp for the 22 east.
Desk Did you pass the VA hospital yet?
Rep, Yes, passed it a couple of minutes ago.
Desk Did you turn around? Are you going east?
Rep. I think so.
Desk, Just keep going east on 7th. street, it turns into the 22 fwy. It will merge with the 405 for a short distance then split off to it's own again. Just follow the smoke.
Rep. Okay I think I'm going the right direction now.
Rep., Okay I see the smoke now.

You could tell the desk guy was pulling his hair out.
The news radio station this happen with isn't on the air anymore.

The fire would have put itself out by the time the bubblehead reporter got there.

LateNightGaming

Premium Subscriber
Dispatch :"Control Calling County 47"
County 47:"County 47"
Dispatch :"Are you 10-8"
*Considerable Pause*
County 47:"Negative"
Dispatch :"10-4, County 81?"
County 81 :"County 81 Send it"
Dispatch :"Can I have you attach to a pursuit, northbound I-495 Southbound as Secondary"
County 81 "10-4"
County 47: "47 Control I'm 10-8 Available for calls"

hill

Premium Subscriber
Heard a dispatch to help a large man get out of his recliner for the local fire department.

Maybe if you are so big that you can't get out of the recliner without fire department assistance it's time to go on a diet.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
Heard last night a patrol officer call in a traffic stop. Officer gave license plate number, car make/model and driver's date of birth as 10/24/1930. Dispatch comes back, asking if the officer meant to say 1930, to which the officer replied "10-4."

Wow, I hope I'm still capable of driving when I hit the big 9-0!!

paulears

My port people have the patience of a Saint.
"Lowestoft Port Control, this is Yacht Diana, Yacht Diana, Yacht Diana, Yacht Diana, Yacht Diana, Yacht Diana, .............. over"
"Diana, go ahead"
"Lowestoft Port Control, this is Yacht Diana, Yacht Diana, Yacht Diana, Yacht Diana, Yacht Diana, Yacht Diana, .............. can we have permission to leave the yacht club and go to sea, over"
"Diana, permission granted to go to sea, you have the green lights"
"Lowestoft Port Control, this is Yacht Diana, Yacht Diana, Yacht Diana, Yacht Diana, Yacht Diana, Yacht Diana, .............. they were red when I looked before calling, over"
"Diana, that was five minutes ago, out"

OpenCarrier

From the depths of scanner memory...

Woman was having difficulty breathing after a church meeting her asthma kicked in or something... Well she had to sit down in the garden and her hubby called 911 they got the amb going and the paramedic asked where she was and the dispatcher said "COME TO THE CROSS". :cool: There was a large cross in that garden.