Funny/Odd things heard on the scanner

kb4mdz

County fire channel: "Open mic on fire, open mic on fire."

My first thought was, you'd think they'd notice if their mic was on fire. haha

I always love that message, most especially on simplex channels. Uhh, guys? Portables are half-duplex. If one is transmitting, it can't receive. 10-4?

CrabbyMilton

Heard a good one from a very large major and prominent business in the area. The security was scrambling because the elevator was stuck on the 9th floor. Yet they were grumbling that they had to go up the stairs because too many people were calling and riding the elevator and it was taking so long and maintenance has to get up there and didn't want to have to walk up there with all their tools. Back and forth with a few you need the exercise hahaha. Finally someone says...If someone is stuck on the elevator, how can people be riding up and down the elevator?...The freight elevator is stuck.... long pause...Oh!!

eaf1956

Feed Provider
During a recent Snow storm here in Indiana a few months ago...a officer stated he had to assist a motorist in a 4x4 jeep who didn't know how to put it in 4 wheel drive.

CrabbyMilton

You would be surprised.........
Good day. I "m officer Johnson. Place hand on lever. Pull lever into 4H or 4L. Have a nice day and be safe. :)
Unless it was an older one with the hubs that have to be locked but I would imagine that most people who drive those know that in advance.

Osprey1163

Premium Subscriber
Thanks to the "on-air security" (cough) in the local jurisdiction I know the code to the secure entrance to the local ER and the pattern they use to change it once a month. If I was inclined, I'd also have written down the cellphone numbers of SO Deputies, many suicide attempts (they broadcast callback numbers in the clear) and the phone numbers of numerous citizens. Never listened to a jurisdiction that broadcasts info like that in the clear. Weird. Scary.
FYI, Colorado State Police don't broadcast info like that in the clear, only the county and municipal depts do it.

Osprey1163

Premium Subscriber
From the depths of scanner memory...

Woman was having difficulty breathing after a church meeting her asthma kicked in or something... Well she had to sit down in the garden and her hubby called 911 they got the amb going and the paramedic asked where she was and the dispatcher said "COME TO THE CROSS". :cool: There was a large cross in that garden.
Is that like "Go into the light"?????

Osprey1163

Premium Subscriber
Heard a dispatch to help a large man get out of his recliner for the local fire department.

Maybe if you are so big that you can't get out of the recliner without fire department assistance it's time to go on a diet.
I hear calls like that all the time where I live. Didn't know medics and firefighters were also "Body Servants", did you???? LOL