Funny/Odd things heard on the scanner

Dispatrick

Premium Subscriber
Kids in my town yesterday afternoon were shooting off fireworks and accidently hit a birds nest and started a fire in a tree about 50 feet up. FD was able to hit it with a line from the ground and knock it down quickly.

ZapZ

Let me set this up, I live in the western part of North Carolina, Very Rural, 1 radio station that you can almost pick up and its country (Not my Favorite type) but it fit the bill so perfectly. I suddenly hear the county talking on the radio.

Dispatch: Any units around 107 for a cow call?

Sherriff: I will pick up that call, where were there?

Dispatch: Around the Smiths place.

Sherriff:10-4 on the BOLO for cattle in the road.

Now to further set this up, it is about 4 in the morning, I have had a few drinks in me and I’m laying in bed reading a book. The Sheriff that answers the call has the most southern drawl I have ever heard. After about 20 minutes the radio’s come back to life.

Dispatch: Sheriff, whats your 10-20(location)

Sheriff: (He keys the mike, slow sad country music is playing in the background. And with that charming southern slow drawl, he replies.) Welp, we are southbound, in the northbound lane and we are doing about 2 miles an hour and I’m right behind em.

Of course, I fell out of bed laughing so hard and wishing I had that one taped.

Cognomen

In the unusual category, at 2:46am PST today on marine ch-16, USCG Sector Puget Sound announced that they were evacuating their base due to an emergency. While he was talking, there was a red-alert klaxon sounding in the background. All operations, SAR, etc. were suspended, and he asked Canadian Coast Guard and others to monitor 16. Communications was restored at 3:44am.

Jim_Shaffer

In the unusual category, at 2:46am PST today on marine ch-16, USCG Sector Puget Sound announced that they were evacuating their base due to an emergency. While he was talking, there was a red-alert klaxon sounding in the background. All operations, SAR, etc. were suspended, and he asked Canadian Coast Guard and others to monitor 16. Communications was restored at 3:44am.

What kind of emergency was that?

Cognomen

What kind of emergency was that?
I guess nobody here knows. Maybe somebody who knows somebody who might know can make an inquiry.

On a SAR repeater:
SAR member 1: "You're amazing, keeping those sandwiches warm with heat blankets!"
SAR member 2: "I'm sitting on them."

On Marine 22A:
Very young girl: "Meow meow meow meow meow!"
Father: "Meow."
Very young girl: "Oh Daddy, you're funny!"
(Surprisingly, no reaction from Coast Guard)

On a county fire/EMS channel:
"He's off the roadway, about 30 feet down the embankment in the stinging nettles."
(I bet the First Responders just LOVE those calls)

Osprey1163

Premium Subscriber
I guess nobody here knows. Maybe somebody who knows somebody who might know can make an inquiry.

On a SAR repeater:
SAR member 1: "You're amazing, keeping those sandwiches warm with heat blankets!"
SAR member 2: "I'm sitting on them."

On Marine 22A:
Very young girl: "Meow meow meow meow meow!"
Father: "Meow."
Very young girl: "Oh Daddy, you're funny!"
(Surprisingly, no reaction from Coast Guard)

On a county fire/EMS channel:
"He's off the roadway, about 30 feet down the embankment in the stinging nettles."
(I bet the First Responders just LOVE those calls)
[/QUOT
I know I LOVED them!!! (sarcasm)

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Just now on the STAT EMS (Run by he St. Vincent's Health System) VHF here in Indianapolis: Helo - "On the ground here at Riley." Dispatch - "Actually that's a roof, but I got ya, Down at Riley, 13:52 hours." Helo - "Okay, on the roof at Riley." Dispatch - "No worries, down safe at Riley *Laughter*, 13:52 hours."

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
"On a county fire/EMS channel:
(I bet the First Responders just LOVE those calls) "
From doing a couple of those myself... Helping the folks out, yes absolutely love. In the nettles/poison ivy/oak etc... Not sooo much. LOL

Osprey1163

Premium Subscriber
Heard today.
Dispatch broadcasting a look out for a car involved in a road rage incident: "RP reports vehicle pulled into a "brick crack house", whatever that's supposed to mean".
Obviously she's never been to the Baltimore/Washington area...or pretty much any mid-sized town on the East Coast! lol

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
The man in the recliner happens all the time. It usually called a "lift assist" or something similar and usually it's to assist EMTs (but not always).

Osprey1163

Premium Subscriber
F&R and police were dispatched today for a large workshop roof that blew off in the high winds and hit power lines. The first unit on the scene was a Sheriff Deputy & dispatch asked if the line was arcing or causing a fire; we're under a "Fire Weather Watch".
He replied (insert "the world is full of idiots" sarcastic tone) "Someone was standing & holding the line when I got here, he's alive and there's no fire or arcing, so I think we're ok. But I'll keep people away so the electric company can make sure".

drclaws

Just toned out 3 local VFDs and EMS for a "child stuck in a basketball hoop."

Shortly after all VFD recalled. Police freed the child and were looking for the parents for EMS attention.

How exactly.........??

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Just heard on a local fire dispatch:
Possible hazmat in the roundabout, a barrel laying on its side and leaking a green ooze.

I could not help but wonder if there were turtles in the scene.