Funny/Odd things heard on the scanner

krokus

Premium Subscriber
ammo doesn't explode - even when fired from the gun. No reason to pull out because ammo is burning. The fireworks are much more dangerous. Ammo burns really hot, but that's all. When the powder in loaded ammo catches, the brass blows apart but since it weighs a fraction of what the bullet weighs, the case moves, not the bullet.

Saw a bolt action rifle that went through a fire while loaded. The round in the chamber went through several walls and lodged in a brick exterior wall. The rounds in the magazine blew the bottom off the magazine. The bullets were still in the mag but the brass cases looked like twisted aluminum foil.
Your description is of the ammo exploding. Cartridges that are not chambered will not fire their bullet, but the case will become shrapnel at detonation.

drclaws

ammo doesn't explode - even when fired from the gun. No reason to pull out because ammo is burning. The fireworks are much more dangerous. Ammo burns really hot, but that's all. When the powder in loaded ammo catches, the brass blows apart but since it weighs a fraction of what the bullet weighs, the case moves, not the bullet.

Saw a bolt action rifle that went through a fire while loaded. The round in the chamber went through several walls and lodged in a brick exterior wall. The rounds in the magazine blew the bottom off the magazine. The bullets were still in the mag but the brass cases looked like twisted aluminum foil.
Only saying what they were transmitting....

CrabbyMilton

Talk about abuse huh? I actually heard a suburban fire department ambulance TO THE HOSPITAL ER!!!!!
Some guy got tired of waiting. Wouldn't be surprised if some doctor or nurse panicked and would do something like that.
I have also heard stories of doctors and nurses just standing there if someone was collapsed just outside of the hospital because they were too stupid or pigheaded to go out and help.

nd5y

I have also heard stories of doctors and nurses just standing there if someone was collapsed just outside of the hospital because they were too stupid or pigheaded to go out and help.
Depending on where it happened there could be lots of reasons or even laws for why they are not allowed to touch anybody outside of the facility or leave the facility to treat people.

CrabbyMilton

I know that's what I'm saying. No common sense or sense of humanity. If it's something superficial I can understand but if they see someone in a dire emergency just outside, for Heaven's sake, remember the mission first!! Then they can prepare for a transfer once they render first aid.

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
Officer: after speaking to the offender on the phone, I'm pretty sure I just won the lottery
Dispatch: That's always good

zapman987

Premium Subscriber
Happened just now with my dept We are on the state line and got called across for a fire.

Engine: Dispatch, back enroute to state of FL (our state)
Dispatch: (totally lost, by tone of voice) back enroute to FL, copy

trailhiker73

Premium Subscriber
One of the fire departments was responding to a MVC for a car that hit a guardrail. When the duty officer responded to the scene, he relayed to dispatch that the occupant was taking the license plate off the vehicle and fleeing the scene!

Osprey1163

Premium Subscriber
One of the fire departments was responding to a MVC for a car that hit a guardrail. When the duty officer responded to the scene, he relayed to dispatch that the occupant was taking the license plate off the vehicle and fleeing the scene!
So, you're saying that;s suspicious behavior? :ROFLMAO:

Randyk4661

Premium Subscriber

Reminds me of a story told be the guy that did this.
He was driving along and had been drinking. He hit something (nothing serious) and the car became disabled. He grabbed the registration in the glove box (like that was going to help) and ran off. The police showed up at his house inquiring about the car. Told police it must have been stolen. The police offered to file a stolen car report, as they were walking in to the house there in plain site was the registration slip sitting on a table. Got charged with DUI, hit and run, filing a false police report. Ended up doing jail time.

drclaws

Caller reports was burning incense near a hole in the wall and it fell inside the wall. Was advised to vacate the premises.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Okay not a fan of this topic, but I had to add this...I live in a fairly large county and recently heard a few of the Deputy Sheriff's on a TAC channel.

Car 1: Everyone, just to let you know there are two young ladies on the corner of XXXX and XXXX selling lemonade, and if there is any unit who doesn't have the dollar for a cup I have you covered.

Cars 2, 3, 4, 5: Enroute

Smith400

Some woman around here who was a volunteer firefighter decided to get drunk and take the fire truck for a drive. It was several years ago, so I don't remember the details of it. I remember hearing someone on the scanner that sounded drunk. There were several exchanges between her and the dispatcher. There was a short article in the paper a couple days later about a firefighter being arrested for dui.
There was another one where a burger king employee called the police because a drunk man was urinating on the drive thru sign.

Randyk4661

Premium Subscriber
Okay not a fan of this topic, but I had to add this...I live in a fairly large county and recently heard a few of the Deputy Sheriff's on a TAC channel.

Car 1: Everyone, just to let you know there are two young ladies on the corner of XXXX and XXXX selling lemonade, and if there is any unit who doesn't have the dollar for a cup I have you covered.

Cars 2, 3, 4, 5: Enroute
I wonder if this is the two girls that were robbed. The news story showed showed police, fire, and other town agencies buying lemonade to make up for what was stolen.

Osprey1163

Premium Subscriber
There was a "drunk & disorderly" call dispatched yesterday. The police got there and the guy being drunk & disorderly had 7 felony "No Bond" warrants for assaults and FTA's related to them plus another 5 misdemeanor warrants for trespassing/FTA etc with a total of $12,500 in bonds.