Funny story

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulmohr

Well I think its kind of funny. I keep looking up at my 30 foot TV antenna and thinking how hard could it really be to just go up there and flip it on its side. Or even disconnect it, lower it to the ground, work on it and take it back up and re install it. I was thinking just unbolting the rotor mount and lowering the whole assembly with a rope or something.

My mom doesn't want me to climb the antenna because she is afraid I will fall and she knows I don't like heights. She offered to do it though. Um ya, I am going to send my 75 year old mom with dementia and vertigo up a tv antenna because I am too big of a wuss lol. She said just call the antenna guy and see if he will do it, how much could it cost really. I thought, well its worth a shot, doesn't hurt to ask.

I drive a local dish and antenna guy, happens to be right down the road. I tell them I bought a fancy new scanner and I have this big TV antenna and the people on the internet said it would work better if I flipped it on its side. I asked what it would cost for someone to shimmy up the tower and flip my antenna. The actually laughed out loud. Then he said "seriously, it would cost more than its worth for sure." He said probably a couple hundred just to come out and climb the antenna, then labor and parts. And he said if it isn't wired or grounded properly I will have to fix that too, and I would have to charge you for it. And in the end it probably wouldn't work a whole lot better than it is now. It probably be better, but not enough to justify the cost.

He said for that kind of money just get the right antenna designed for what you want, then pay me to put it up there. Or like you guys suggested, make different antennas dedicated to the frequencies I want and use a diplexer/triplexer. He said they are not cheap, but neither is he lol. He said satellite work is cheap and fairly easy, and this is most have now. But tower stuff and large antennas gets pricey.

He suggested I either "grow a pair" and do it myself, it isn't that hard technically, or make friends with someone that will climb an antenna for a six pack lol.

What sounds like a better idea, invest in a decent harness and some rope and lower the antenna, fix it up and re wire it, then raise it again. Or make a couple simple antenna's and invest in an inexpensive diplexer/triplexer? I need to get 150, 450 and 850 mhz. Plus or minus about 10 mhz on each band. I don't need to transmit and I am not interested in lower band stuff. I would kind of like to keep the project in the 100 to 200 dollar range. I probably don't even need a specific antenna for 800mhz, that tower is pretty close and its the only one local. I can darn near pick it up with no antenna attached to my scanner.

This isn't life or death or anything, my scanner works pretty decent now. I am just kicking around ideas is all.

Here is a picture of the current TV antenna. It needs a little TLC lol

http://forums.radioreference.com/picture.php?albumid=850&pictureid=4600

paulmohr

Well I built myself a little harness and worked up the courage to try and climb the tower. Loaded myself up with tools and a rope to lower the antenna down with. I got about 3/4's of the way up, looked at the antenna and said screw it, not worth the stress and effort lol. Once I got close to it I noticed it was more beat up than I thought and missing some elements and what not.

Would have been a lot of work to take it down, repair it, then put it back up just to find out it worked marginally better than before. If I was lucky.

My mom said she would just pay someone to do it for my birthday, but I told her for that kind of money I could just get a couple antenna's designed for what I want and a diplexer and other stuff. No sense spending hundreds of dollars on something that isn't even designed for what I want it to do.

So back to the drawing board lol.

You will put in a lot of effort and when you're done it won't work that good as a scanner antenna. And the neighbors will think you're loco. My neighbors don't speak to me at all any more. You made the best choice. You have real world experience now.

Golay

Weekend BBQ

Get hold of a volunteer fireman.
See if for the cost of a Saturday afternoon BBQ for a few of the guys, they will bring a ladder truck out for you to get to the antenna. It's worth a shot to just ask.

teufler

3o feet is not too high, as long as you have a climbing belt. DON'T CLIMB THE TOWER WITHOUT ONE. Omd tv antennas work good for scanners. You will hear alittle better if the antenna is vertical instead of horizontal. If what you normally listen too is within 100 miles , horizontal will do okay. Have a contact thats 100 miles east of Tulsa and uses a tv antenna. If the tower is not guyed, better check the bolts, or closely check the tower for cracks in the support. Maybe 6 guys, you could under the bolts at the bottom lift thetower and with a rope lower the tower, to a step ladder on the ground. From there you can do anything to the tower you want. Then with three of four walking it back up and two on the roof pulling, you can erect the tower again.

paulmohr

Thanks for the responses guys. After talking to my local antenna guy, and someone in PM's I think I might just get a discone, or possibly build one.

Never thought about bribing the fire department, or someone with a bucket truck. My mom might freak though. She is one of those people that cares what the neighbors think, so I am not sure she would want a fire truck parked in the yard lol. However I like the idea of the BBQ. That is something I might consider just for the heck of it. Thanks for the idea.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Thanks for the responses guys. After talking to my local antenna guy, and someone in PM's I think I might just get a discone, or possibly build one.

Never thought about bribing the fire department, or someone with a bucket truck. My mom might freak though. She is one of those people that cares what the neighbors think, so I am not sure she would want a fire truck parked in the yard lol. However I like the idea of the BBQ. That is something I might consider just for the heck of it. Thanks for the idea.

A discone would be the best solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.