Fuse Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB0VWG

I have installed 4 radios in my truck recently slowly adding one by one and I did add a fuse panel from auto zone but it seems kinda flimsy and I need something that can handle all 4 radios. The radios are ft-8800, Motorola m1225, Yaesu ft-100 Hf and a 11 meter radio. The fuse panel would be located inside the cab and I am wondering would the blue sea panel be good enough to handle all radios especially the hf?

I would like to keep the price below $50.00
Thanks
Michael
kb0vwg
wqoi992

Last edited:

n5ims

There's this (MFJ Enterprises Inc.) that will handle 30 amps (total draw), but doesn't individually fuse the connections (actually doesn't fuse at all, but relies on the input's fuse for safety). Not great, but only $30.

Then there's this (MFJ Enterprises Inc.) that will handle more power, has fuses, more connections (6 vs the 4 above), and two of the connectors are high power (35 amp) binding posts vs. the standard rated PowerPole connectors of the other 4 (also used in the above product). It's a bit above your $50 price though at $65.

There are similar products from other makers, but these might help you see what's available. You may also find them at a better price by searching if you descide one of them is what you want, since my links are from the manufacturer (so they'll use the MSRP on their site as you may expect) and a dealer may discount them some.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Check out PowerWerks, they have options, too. Most of them would require putting PowerPole connectors on your leads.

Painless Performance makes a number of wiring options too, although they are oriented to those restoring or modifying vehicles.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I've always had good luck with the marine type fuse panels. Usually good products, good design, and if you shop around, a good price. If you have a West Marine store close by, they usually have a good stock in their electrical department, but they tend to be way overpriced. It's a good place to go and look to get ideas.

Waytek Wire at Waytek Inc, Home page to buy fuses, circuit breakers, cable ties, wire and other electrical supplies By Waytek Inc. has some good solutions specifically designed for automotive use.

Anderson power poles are nice, but I've never been a fan of the smaller ones. The panels I've seen are too bulky for compact mount in a vehicle and tend to be over priced, but that is entirely my opinion. I've found a good distribution panel with screw lug terminals an excellent solution

Here ya go, less than $12 bucks: http://order.waytekwire.com/productdetail2/M50/46060/ATO / ATC FUSE BLOCK 6 GANG/

Last edited:

LtDoc

I don't use a 'fuse panel' as such, but do use one of the 'PowerWerx' distribution 'blocks'. It's just a 'block' that uses 'PowerPoles' for connections and each line is fused by it's self. It works for me.
I would recommend using the largest supply line you can manage from the battery to that fuse panel or distribution 'block'. Huge doesn't hurt anything, but too small certainly can. Sooner or later you'll want to add something else to it, so why not -not- have to run a larger supply line?
- 'Doc

(Too lazy to worry about spelling, so correct what needs correcting.)

N4KVE

In my car I use an 8 gage wire from the battery which then branches off into the back of each radio. The main wIre is fused at 30 amps. I tried a 25 amp fuse, but the 100 watt UHF MCS2000 blew it a few times. The point is, I will never transmit on more than 1 radio at a time. GARY N4KVE

fineshot1

I have installed 4 radios in my truck recently slowly adding one by one and I did add a fuse panel from auto zone but it seems kinda flimsy and I need something that can handle all 4 radios. The radios are ft-8800, Motorola m1225, Yaesu ft-100 Hf and a 11 meter radio. The fuse panel would be located inside the cab and I am wondering would the blue sea panel be good enough to handle all radios especially the hf?

I would like to keep the price below $50.00
Thanks
Michael
kb0vwg
wqoi992

The blue sea panels are very well built panels and should be just fine
and the main feed wire should be about 10 gage wire and fused at
about 30A very close to the power source. I usually connect right
to the battery to reduce the noise and alternator wine associated
with the vehicle fuse panel wiring. HTH....

KB0VWG

Mfj 1124

There's this (MFJ Enterprises Inc.) that will handle 30 amps (total draw), but doesn't individually fuse the connections (actually doesn't fuse at all, but relies on the input's fuse for safety). Not great, but only $30.

Then there's this (MFJ Enterprises Inc.) that will handle more power, has fuses, more connections (6 vs the 4 above), and two of the connectors are high power (35 amp) binding posts vs. the standard rated PowerPole connectors of the other 4 (also used in the above product). It's a bit above your $50 price though at $65.

There are similar products from other makers, but these might help you see what's available. You may also find them at a better price by searching if you descide one of them is what you want, since my links are from the manufacturer (so they'll use the MSRP on their site as you may expect) and a dealer may discount them some.
I decided to go with the Mfj 1124 little more than what I wanted to spend but looks solid enough and it should work for my setup. Will take pictures when i complete the install.
Thanks
kb0vwg
wqoi992

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I decided to go with the Mfj 1124...
When you get it, open it up and inspect the soldering very carefully. I bought a similar product from MFJ and found solder bridges across the fuse terminals on the circuit board.

KB0VWG

Received it yesterday

Now I am wondering if I need to add more wire to the unit to reach the battery. I am going thru a hole under the driver side of a 2005 F-150 triton. I haven't had a chance yet until this coming weekend to see if I have enough wire coming from the mfj-1124. Does anyone know if there is another hole on the passenger side close to the battery on a f-150? The battery is on the drivers side.

I would prefer not to add more wire to the unit to reach the battery.
Thanks
kb0vwg
wqoi992

Status
Not open for further replies.