Premium Subscriber

Attachments

• EBRCS 3-5-21.pdf
    450.8 KB · Views: 79
  • Entire EBRCS Agenda Packet 3-5-21.pdf
    949 KB · Views: 56

jland138

From the linked attachments above:
> In the meantime, the Director is going to recommend the Authority adopt a CHP training bulletin for now that works around the issue.

Does anyone know the CHP Bulletin number or, even better, have a copy of it?

rjyoung

I just read the news, and wonder how long before San Mateo County goes that route? Guess I should enjoy my scanners before they become expensive paper weights! Ugh!

KG7PBS

I just read the news, and wonder how long before San Mateo County goes that route? Guess I should enjoy my scanners before they become expensive paper weights! Ugh!

look buddy your Scanner will not become a Paper Weight. Last I checked scanners cannot be inhibited by a trunk system. So you will still have a 450$ to 900$ None Police Scanner. You people act as it’s the End of the world. Maybe if you got out and started protesting encryption then agencies may think twice about going Dark.

fredva

Feed Provider
Last I checked scanners cannot be inhibited by a trunk system.
What do you mean by "inhibited by a trunk system"? A scanner can following the trunking, but can't decode voice traffic that is encrypted because it won't have the encryption keys.

So you will still have a 450$ to 900$ None Police Scanner.
What is a None police scanner?

chill30240

Premium Subscriber
look buddy your Scanner will not become a Paper Weight. Last I checked scanners cannot be inhibited by a trunk system. So you will still have a 450$ to 900$ None Police Scanner. You people act as it’s the End of the world. Maybe if you got out and started protesting encryption then agencies may think twice about going Dark.
Good luck with that. If you protest then they will be all the more likely to ENC. Still it wont matter, they do it anyway.

KG7PBS

What do you mean by "inhibited by a trunk system"? A scanner can following the trunking, but can't decode voice traffic that is encrypted because it won't have the encryption keys.

What is a None police scanner?

so all Trunking can be inhibited AKA Bricked or paper Weights. The guy was implying because his system will one day Encrypted it’s channels his Scanner will be a paper weight. I was telling him his scanner can’t be inhibited so his comment saying his scanner is a paper weight is stupid. He can still sell it and get his money back. But if a radio gets inhabited then it’s worthless that’s a paper weight

N6ML

so all Trunking can be inhibited AKA Bricked or paper Weights. The guy was implying because his system will one day Encrypted it’s channels his Scanner will be a paper weight. I was telling him his scanner can’t be inhibited so his comment saying his scanner is a paper weight is stupid. He can still sell it and get his money back. But if a radio gets inhabited then it’s worthless that’s a paper weight

I see what you're saying, but I think that's not what he meant; He meant that his scanner will be worthless to him if there's nothing (unencrypted) left to listen to.

edougawa

Good to know. It's a sad news but at least I got notified before putting another hundred bucks on a new P25 scanner.

SYZ1165

Premium Subscriber
:confused: Wow just another blow to the scanner hobby and scanner enthusiasts across the country I listen to the scanner guys live YouTube broadcasts and they talk about encryption but they mentioned that there are other things to listen to out there but I am of the opinion that the main dispatch channels should stay in the clear no matter what law-enforcement it is as long as they have their tactical channels they can go to or MDT‘s they can use and keep things on the down low there why encrypt the main dispatch channels ? I’ve made several comments on the subject on YouTube in different comment areas asking for statistics to show that having encrypted police agencies deter crime or lessen crime more than with the main dispatch channel left in the clear or in danger more officers then what is the norm and no one hasn’t really replied with any statistics to back up the reasoning for encryption, this is just my opinion of course but it sure would be nice to see some hard copy statistics on encryption and what it provides for the agencies involved and what it doesn’t provide for the scanner hobbyists just want to be able to monitor their local agency and keep track on what’s going on in their neighborhoods and have some sort of transparency from the local agencies about what’s going on and not hearing about it after the fact on a social media post or blog.

Status
Not open for further replies.