• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Future of Kenwood's NX series?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
It's been widely reported in the amateur radio circles that Kenwood is stopping production of the TH-D74 dual-band analog/D-STAR/APRS handheld. Allegedly, the cause is lack of parts due to a fire at an Asahi Kasei Microdevices (AKM) factory. Note that Icom had previously announced that their new ID-52 dual-band analog/D-STAR radio will be delayed for the same reason.

Which leads me to ask...Do the NX series of radios use any AKM products? Is the NX series in jeopardy due to lack of parts?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I don't know. None of the service/parts documentation shows manufacturer names.

But since NXDN uses the same vocoder as P25 and DMR, I think any impact to production would likely impact those also. And most of the Kenwood/EFJ radios are multimode capable, even if not enabled (EFJ).

There are some large agencies using EFJ and Kenwood gear. I haven't seen anything from my sources to suggest an impact to product lines.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Our PD has civilian security for our buildings. They just ordered 32 Kenwood VP-5430s for use on our 800MHz trunking system. The local dealer brought out loaners as they said JVC Kenwood needs additional lead time to ship the radios from Japan but didn't give specific reasons

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
NX-5000s are backordered right now, not sure if it's related to COVID, the factory, or any other excuse JVCK has.

fwradio

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
NX-5000s are backordered right now, not sure if it's related to COVID, the factory, or any other excuse JVCK has.
Kenwood is always backordered. At least for the past 20 years that I've dealt with them. The same happened to EFJ when Kenwood got in and fully took it over. Stock levels are way down and they only order from the factory to meet the minimum forecasted demands. It has a large impact in what radios we offer to customers. We have to know that we can actually get the product in a timely manner.

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
Kenwood is always backordered. At least for the past 20 years that I've dealt with them. The same happened to EFJ when Kenwood got in and fully took it over. Stock levels are way down and they only order from the factory to meet the minimum forecasted demands. It has a large impact in what radios we offer to customers. We have to know that we can actually get the product in a timely manner.

It's a shame. Their products have a lot of potential and flexibility, but there's also a lot of shortcomings as well. I may not love Motorola, but at least I know when I place an order I'll have the radios in less than a week.

DeoVindice

P25 Underground

Tell me about it - I was waiting on an order of KRA-21 antennas for about two months for this reason.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Not sure what's going on right now.
I think a year or two ago I had a few week delay getting some radios. I talked to the manufacturers rep and he said that the company that did the molding for the radio cases had gone out of business and Kenwood had to get the molds over to another company and spin up production.

After that, I had no issue getting small orders. It's been a long time since I placed a really big order, though.

celltech25

Biggest delays right now is getting the stuff off ships and into the warehouse in Cali.. They need to fly the stuff over and get it into texas where it can get out to the rest of us and forget Cali while this virus is running crazy there

EWC_BDN

I think you're right that this factory fire might affect a lot of Japanese companies. Googled the name and looks like Honda is saying that lack of semiconductors from the AKM factory will cause production delays for them too. Yay waiting!

Status
Not open for further replies.