Future of LAPD

ScanFanEd

Premium Subscriber
Hello All --

Just curios what the future of the LAPD radio system appears to look like currently. Is it reasonable to believe that "E" for primary dispatch channels is still quite a few years away? How far away do you feel it may be in reality?

Thanks!

avdrummerboy

Not sure what the current admin is like, but I do remember Charlie Beck being against any encryption of their radios in the interest of transparency. Though I'm sure more than one person in the current admin would happily put the big E on all of their comms if they could.

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
I think anybody in a visible position like that in LA has to be against ∅ publicly because that's a big part of the current political climate. That doesn't have much to do with what actually happens and when, which is much more complicated, with a bunch of other political, fiscal, and practical moving parts.

jtech48

Premium Subscriber
I wouldn't be surprised if they take a couple tips from what LASD's transition to RICS looks like

tsalmrsystemtech

Premium Subscriber
Mostly likely LAFD will stay on their own system for sure. LAPD will go off and do their own thing.

I like the way LAFD is doing it. 800 mhz Analog Conventional and it works great.

Peter_SD911

Scan Sexy
Premium Subscriber
I predict the LAPD will be the first department in the country to dispatch by emojis only...

I hope I'm dead by then.

(scanning sexy...one bank at a time.)

tsalmrsystemtech

Premium Subscriber
I predict the LAPD will be the first department in the country to dispatch by emojis only...

I hope I'm dead by then.

(scanning sexy...one bank at a time.)
Or everything is straight over MDT and no more voice. Less dispatchers needed like what SBDCO FIRE has done. Cut back dispatchers since dispatch is now automated.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
Or everything is straight over MDT and no more voice. Less dispatchers needed like what SBDCO FIRE has done. Cut back dispatchers since dispatch is now automated.
Dispatching over MDT, maybe.
Real time tactical operations, mounted units, motor units and aircraft don't lend themselves well to keyboarding