• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Future of NXDN

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmxman

Icom seems to have stagnated in further IDAS development. Kenwood is now offering DMR.
Is NXDN destined to go the way of the Dodo in the USA?
I'd like to hear opinions regarding continued investment in expanding a trunked NXDN system is worthwhile or change direction to a build a trunked DMR system. Which will give a brighter business future?

radio259

We still have a lot of interest from customer in NXDN and IDAS. mostly due to the clarity of the audio. 6.25 kicks some butt in coverage I buildings.

just my nickel's worth: NXDN/IDAS staying around.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I can't speak on Icom, I haven't owned any of their radios in quite a while.

I do run a NexEdge trunked system and have over 400 Kenwood radios on it. About to add 50-60 more radios and an additional trunked site.
Kenwood recently rolled out NexEdge Gen2, so there is still active investment in it.
They've also rolled out the NXR-5x00 repeaters, including just recently, an 800MHz and 900MHz version.

There are cases where NXDN trunking scales better than the DMR options, although I suspect there will be an ongoing leap-frogging of the two.

Kenwood has been building/selling DMR for quite a while. They only started offering it in the USA a few years ago, but they've been in the market for a while.

Kenwood's move to offer DMR is likely (read: my opinion) more based on gathering market share than trying to compete against it's own products. Kenwood is well placed to take a seat at the big table, and has already in many areas.
Kenwood is going to offer Tier 3 DMR in the near future, from what I've read, so they'll have DMR trunking as well as NXDN trunking.

They are similar products and are aimed at a similar market. What happens in the long term (read: 10 years or more) will be interesting to watch. I don't see that Kenwood has any plans to do away with NXDN any time soon. Considering the railroads are starting to move that was in -some- places and they've chosen it as their standard suggests there will be a market for it for quite some time to come.

Like I said, it'll be interesting to see how this plays out, but it'll be a long term thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.