Future Paid Upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Go-24 said:
$500 for a scanner and another $125 for updates - no way - give them to me for free!

Not "updates" (read bug fixes), but new features. Doesn't look like you'll be getting them for free.

rocksteady

I will not pay for new upgrades. I have bought every (worth while) uniden scanner since the bc200xlt. Almost every new scanner they made, I purchased. Think about all the people who bought the 796 or other digital scanner and now they are long forgotten. No upgrades for a scanner they paid over $500.00 for. I think when I'm no longer happy with my 396 and 996 I will sell them and buy a scanner that won't need or charge for updates that should be supported in the first place. People are broke, jobs are scarce and everyone is hurting when it comes to money, but corperations have to charge for an update for a $500.00 item that should get it right for free...
I understand that bugs will be found but thats what support is for, thats what they pay employee's for to find and fix the problem, but it shouldn't be at the comsumers expense.
Thats my opinion and opinions are like a## holes everybody has one, and most of them stink.

Rocky

mancow

Database Admin
It has been said that the payment will be for accessory features that are optional.

Firmware improvements to address problems will continue to be distributed normally.

That's how I read it anyway. So, the net effect is nothing. If you wish to use your radio as it is and you still want it updated to address problems then things should be fine.

rocksteady

mancow said:
It has been said that the payment will be for accessory features that are optional.

Firmware improvements to address problems will continue to be distributed normally.

That's how I read it anyway. So, the net effect is nothing. If you wish to use your radio as it is and you still want it updated to address problems then things should be fine.

Yeah I know. I don't think I need any more bells and whistles on my scanners. They scan thats all I really care about. As long as they work good I don't really need any more features.

But it make you wonder when will they stop firmware updates/upgrades like several other Uniden scanners..

jakegday

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
the 3 main things i want are 1. more then 200 tgids/frequencies per system, 2. more then 20 groups, and 3. more then 10 group quick keys,

OK, good ideas all around. some have very strong opinions but it's allowed, of course.

Now imagine this new scenario:

Let's assume for a moment that Uniden comes up with an offer whereby you send them your scanner and they swap the microprocessor board that gives you tons of new features, including audio recording, SD support, CC-Do-not-disturb, etc. The catch is, you must pay them the standard $60 flat fee plus the cost of the board, assuming $60 also, however, as a goodwill gesture, they send you a $20 upgrade coupon so your total cost is 60+60-20=$100.

This would be a pretty cool deal, wouldn't it?

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
But the whole reasoning behind this is that you won't have to send it in to get these features. That's why they've gone to extremes to put ESN and check sums into radios that never had that. You pay for the features and load it in yourself.

floydpink999999 said:
OK, good ideas all around. some have very strong opinions but it's allowed, of course.

Now imagine this new scenario:

Let's assume for a moment that Uniden comes up with an offer whereby you send them your scanner and they swap the microprocessor board that gives you tons of new features, including audio recording, SD support, CC-Do-not-disturb, etc. The catch is, you must pay them the standard $60 flat fee plus the cost of the board, assuming $60 also, however, as a goodwill gesture, they send you a $20 upgrade coupon so your total cost is 60+60-20=$100.

This would be a pretty cool deal, wouldn't it?

rdale

Premium Subscriber
chgomonitor said:
I'd like the radio to be able to demodulate P25 signals on channels programmed for CTCSS/DCS search mode.

P25 signals don't have CTCSS or DCS, so that's why you put the radio in search mode.

gregmoss

Yes Sir..I really really like my bcd396, br330t, bct-15. I'll would gladly pay for current upgrades available for now on. But do we wait a good one or two years before we see them? Muti-site and NAC decode would really be awsome for the bcd396 and bcd996, icing on the cake grin:)....

Viper43

I would love to see multi site and an end to the 200 TG ID limit on the 396, thats what I see is the most important things it needs, I'd like to be able to stick a whole state wide system and all it's TG's in one system :) NAC would be a nice extra but not the end of the world without it.

FPO703

What about an option to decode pager tones for the Fire Tone-Out feature? Not everyone has the hardware to record, then, run the file through a sound processor program to fine out the frequencies for the pager tones.

I mean, if the FTO feature can break squelch when those tone(s) are picked up, it should be able to search them out to let you know what to program in to the radios. This would be for all radios with the FTO feature.

Viper43

Or, if you are in the right position to do so you could call the communications department and ask them to send you the tones. Thats how I got them, straight from the Sheriffs Department Director of Communications

800crazy1

upman (paul) is on his way to asia , honk kong i believe he said ..... he is the product manager for uniden .... is it possible hes going to scope out new products hes in charge of purchasing , such as scanners ? ..... where are most of these scanners manufactured ? ... just a thought .... could we be seeing something new coming down the line withen the next 6 months to a year ? i dont think hes going there for a vacation ! again , just thinking .

Viper43

Or he could be doing production checks on present scanners. They are made in Asia but the design and so forth probably comes from several areas, one doing RF section , another doing software etc. And who knows if he is involved with the other lines Uniden has such as marine radios or phones too..... so many possibilities. Heck, it could even be to work on upgrades for the present models

800crazy1

yep , thats true.... but i hope its for among other products a scanner that is truely going to surpass what we have seen so far .... just wishing and hopeing (dusty springfield)

SkipSanders

Silent Key
Do try to remember that they can't change the scanner's HARDware via software updates.

You want multicolor display? Well, gee, I guess you need to buy and have installed a new, physical display, then, along with software to run it.

The intent I got off this change to allow pay to update is for any possible LICENSE FEE they might have to pay to add a software feature. Yeah, it's not going to happen, but if they DID get permission to add Pro-Voice, you better believe there'd be a non-trivial license fee involved.

MDC's? Well, they're connected, in nearly all cases, to NCIC. Um, you do know that federal law requires that any MDC or other system connected to NCIC must have all over the air links encrypted, all the time? Forget it, folks.

Let's see, they could potentially get a license to decode paging transmissions (on non-commercial frequencies only), which would mean license payments for pocsag and flex coding. I don't count it very likely, but could happen, potentially. The scanner's display isn't really good for text message receiving, though.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
SkipSanders said:
MDC's? Well, they're connected, in nearly all cases, to NCIC. Um, you do know that federal law requires that any MDC or other system connected to NCIC must have all over the air links encrypted, all the time? Forget it, folks.

Skip, MDC not MDT.

MDC bursts are generally used for unit identification before or after a transmission.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
FPO703 said:
What about an option to decode pager tones for the Fire Tone-Out feature? Not everyone has the hardware to record, then, run the file through a sound processor program to fine out the frequencies for the pager tones.

I agree it would be a nice feature, but the only "hardware" you need is a $5 cable to connect to your soundcard.

yaesumofo

I agree Uniden must be hard at work on the next flagship scanner.
UPman was just over "there" I suspect he was able to see what is next.
I hope that uniden watched some of the threads regarding what we need in out next "gen" radio.
With luck we will see a new radio this year.

Yaesumofo

Airdorn said:
They're prolly already hard at work on the next model scanner, and the 396/996T will be second banana with no more upgrades.

Status
Not open for further replies.