FYI lausd police going p25/encryption

Status
Not open for further replies.

scma127

Premium Subscriber
to all in mid november los angeles unfied school police have a new system in place it wi ll go in affetct in mid november they will be going digital and at times encrypted so fior all of you with analog scanner you better up grade asap. i new system is much better and costly. but needed.

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
Sounds like a step towards getting compatible hardware for eventual LA-RICS which LAUSD is a member of.

monitor142

Yep...going from a vote/steer to a digital simulcast system and will get them narrowband compliant. They still have a lot of mobiles and bases that are not NB capable which will be replaced for the new system. Officers already carry XTS5000's for interop with LAPD (and LASD) so they are good there.

scma127

Premium Subscriber
lausd police digital/encrypted

yes they will have a better system and they be using there same freqs. 453.800 and 453.400

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
I wonder if they will be getting any more transmission sites?

As is they have transmission issues as they try to cover from the North Valley to the Harbor with 4 sites – San Pedro Hill, Mt Lee and Mt. Lukens and Chatsworth.

Low signal quality might be tolerable in analog, but in digital it simply won’t be receivable.

Should maybe piggy back other city sites in places like Downtown, Baldwin Hills, Santa Monica, Venice, Reseda, Glendale etc…

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
Officers already carry XTS5000's for interop with LAPD (and LASD) so they are good there.
That's good to know, as LAUSD's boundaries go far beyond just the City of L.A., with schools (and therefore potential interop need) in many LASD-patrolled communities, plus the PDs of Vernon, Bell, Huntington Park, South Gate, Gardena, San Fernando, and small portions of Inglewood, Hawthorne, and Monterey Park.

Unfortunately the underlined PDs are among the VHF "holdouts" in L.A. county. Whether they have some patch capability (such as through LARTCS), I don't know.

redmongoose

That's good to know, as LAUSD's boundaries go far beyond just the City of L.A., with schools (and therefore potential interop need) in many LASD-patrolled communities, plus the PDs of Vernon, Bell, Huntington Park, South Gate, Gardena, San Fernando, and small portions of Inglewood, Hawthorne, and Monterey Park.

Unfortunately the underlined PDs are among the VHF "holdouts" in L.A. county. Whether they have some patch capability (such as through LARTCS), I don't know.

LASPD cannot pickup the underlined PDs on their radios. Sometimes if the area car, or the School Officer has a good rapport with the PD they are working in, the local PD will be happy to lend them a radio to listen in. Often LASPD is the first backing officer on a call to a local officer.

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
Anyone know if this has occurred?

If so kindly submit details for us to update Db.

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
Confirmed these guys are P25 now on one frequency atleast.

453.400 = NAC162
453.800 = remains 131.8PL still.

Db updated.

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
Makes one wonder what went wrong with the P25 move and need to roll back to analog?

redmongoose

LASPD have run tests with the digital system and it still needs tweaking. They are running on analog still until the system becomes more reliable.

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
I'm still wondering how they will cover the LA basin with so few radio sites. Digital is another propagation and decoding beast compared to analog.

iepoker

Two part post: First part joke.... They need to be encrypted so we cant hear their officers radioing in fake shootings and having the whole valley shut down for the day.

And, seriously: Are the school sites themselves going digital? Its one thing the PD switching radios, but when I went to school in the LAUSD my school had an old (even at that time in the 80's) Motorola base station and a whole fleet of HT-90 radios. Are they replacing ALL of that stuff???

If so, there is where the district went broke!

Last edited:

mrbekhor

I'm a Student at a LAUSD School and Im a lapd cadet. School Police is the only one's upgrading. The School radios are kenwood TK-2300 they upgraded a few years ago. School Police has had the motorola xts radios for a while but using analog frequencies

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
I see the LAUSD has filed with the FCC a license modification on 453.400Mhz to add two additional radio sties – Oat Mt and a location in El Sereno.

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
453.400 back to P25. Signal still a bit hit and miss.

I have noted two NACs 162 and 588. 588 might be false due weak signal decoding.

mattfox27

Premium Subscriber
Hi every time my scanner lands on LAUSD on 453.8000 it comes in strong but its distorted like the P25 can't fully decode. Its programmed straight from RR database through freescan on a 396XT anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.