FYI- Ministry charges Meaford VFD

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmbstn

Premium Subscriber
TheRecord - Rare prosecution of fire department sparks angst over...

The above address is to a link that appeared in the K-W Record 12/19/2011. This is not radio related, but I feel deserve's the attention of first responders, and the public as a whole as a whole. The text of this article states that charges have been laid aginst the Meaford VFD, by the Ministry of Labour. Chief Mike Molloy states...
“My concern is that, if in future, potential incident commanders are worried about possible litigation, is that going to make them second-guess their rescue decision?”
“We roll to the scene with six firefighters and a truck,” Molloy said. “We never know who’s responding.”

Please read article for full info. This hit's a nerve with me. The Ministry has laid charges, yet I will bet the farm they would be NO interest in funding "proper response notification software" that would deal with the issue of who is responding and when. These systems are out there, and they do work. I see nothing wrong with VFD having a reasonable system for assessing a proper response. The quality of our part-time/volunteer fire fighters is excellent. That being said the Ministry/Govt needs to step- it- up and allocate the proper funding period. They (VFD) are doing the best they can with what they have. There is always room for improvment, but that cost $$, and bake sales, and local fundraising is just not going too cut it. Just my opinion. PS: The same goes for our MOH & EMS. And weather the fire fighters in question reacted to protocol is also an issue in the article. Bottom line, give them the proper equipment/and communication systems, and this might prevent future situations.

travisd

On the other hand, it could set precedence that helps shield the first responders in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.