• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

G2 and G3 coming....

Status
Not open for further replies.

ma8007

Premium Subscriber
Yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am missing something hear?Wouldn’t that make the G3 better then the G5 and considered a upgrade because of Dual band UHF/VHF and better reception due to it using external antenna instead of internal for analog?

bob550

Premium Subscriber
I am missing something hear?Wouldn’t that make the G3 better then the G5 and considered a upgrade because of Dual band UHF/VHF and better reception due to it using external antenna instead of internal for analog?
The G3 does not have 700/800 MHz coverage. So, no. It's just that you'll now have a choice based on your primary band of interest.

N6ML

I was under the impression it did do phase 1 and 2 due to this post

Not sure if I'm interpreting this right, but if I am .... P25 Phase I/II is the *mode*, 7/800MHz is the *band*. There's nothing to say that P25 trunked systems can only be on 7/800MHz, and there's nothing that implies that a P25-capable radio must cover the 7/800MHz band. As I understand it, the G2-thru-5 all support the same modes (they're implemented in firmware) - it's the available bands (different hardware) that distinguish them.

shifty277

Hate to resurrect this thread but seems appropriate given the prior conversation.

Kinda new to specific bands but if I understand the previous posts correctly the G3 will be able to pick up all P25? I’m confusing myself with the control channels being in the 700-800 range.

N6ML

Hate to resurrect this thread but seems appropriate given the prior conversation.

Kinda new to specific bands but if I understand the previous posts correctly the G3 will be able to pick up all P25? I’m confusing myself with the control channels being in the 700-800 range.

We've been over this already (in this thread). P25 is a protocol - it is not specific to 700/800MHz, or any other band - there are a lot of regional communication systems being built using P25 on the 700/800MHz bands, but it can also be used on VHF, UHF, etc.

shifty277

We've been over this already (in this thread). P25 is a protocol - it is not specific to 700/800MHz, or any other band - there are a lot of regional communication systems being built using P25 on the 700/800MHz bands, but it can also be used on VHF, UHF, etc.

Ok..thanks......I just wanted to clarify since the control channels were in the 800 range it threw me off..

N6ML

Ok..thanks......I just wanted to clarify since the control channels were in the 800 range it threw me off..

Not sure what you mean by that. The control channels for an 800MHz trunked system would be in that range. The control channels for a P25 system on VHF would be in the VHF range.

shifty277

Not sure what you mean by that. The control channels for an 800MHz trunked system would be in that range. The control channels for a P25 system on VHF would be in the VHF range.

So then if I’m understanding you correctly the G3 will NOT pick up p25 for a system with control channels in the 700/800 range correct? Only VHF/UHF

N6ML

So then if I’m understanding you correctly the G3 will NOT pick up p25 for a system with control channels in the 700/800 range correct? Only VHF/UHF

Yes; for 700/800MHz, you need a G4 or G5.

rr60

Premium Subscriber
Bluetooth...I note the spec sheets for G2 G3 say bluetooth 4.0. The spec sheets do not say what at the G4/5 bluetooth version is. Anyway what does BT 4.0 mean operationally? More compatibility with devices perhaps?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Bluetooth...I note the spec sheets for G2 G3 say bluetooth 4.0. The spec sheets do not say what at the G4/5 bluetooth version is. Anyway what does BT 4.0 mean operationally? More compatibility with devices perhaps?
Not to sound like a smartass, but Googling "Bluetooth 4.0" returns a good article as the very first result, which explains one of the major key features of 4.0 as pertains to battery operated devices such as a Unication pager. In fact, most of the search results hone in on the same key enhancement.

N6ML

Not to sound like a smartass, but Googling "Bluetooth 4.0" returns a good article as the very first result, which explains one of the major key features of 4.0 as pertains to battery operated devices such as a Unication pager. In fact, most of the search results hone in on the same key enhancement.

That does sound a bit smartass-ish, TBH :) I think the question was about how it pertains specifically to practical operation of the G-series pagers. You'll probably not find much of use about that with Google. Lots of contemporary BT devices have been shown to not work with the current-model G4/G5. The hope is that BT4.x hardware will change that.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
So Unication has released a new PPS which will support the G2/G3 pagers if what I read elsewhere is correct. Now the 50¢ question, any word on when the G2/G3 pagers will be released other than Q3/2019?

Hopefully the PPS release is indicative of the pager release shortly.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Considering dealers are taking your money, I’d say it’s right around the corner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.