• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

G2 Vs G5 for VHF P25 Trunking

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackSheepDue

I'm sure this conversation has probably been had before but I recently purchased a vhf/800 G5 to primarily use on Maine's MSCOMMNET Harris P25 system. I didn't realize that the vhf antenna was internal and I'm experiencing reception issues. Having the 7/800 is nice but I have several apx's/xts's on my local 800 system so I don't really plan on using the G5 for that. I guess my question is should I be looking to return my G5 and get a G2 instead so I can utilize the external stock vhf antenna or an aftermarket one?

ME343

ME/NH/VT DB Admin
Database Admin
I'm sure this conversation has probably been had before but I recently purchased a vhf/800 G5 to primarily use on Maine's MSCOMMNET Harris P25 system. I didn't realize that the vhf antenna was internal and I'm experiencing reception issues. Having the 7/800 is nice but I have several apx's/xts's on my local 800 system so I don't really plan on using the G5 for that. I guess my question is should I be looking to return my G5 and get a G2 instead so I can utilize the external stock vhf antenna or an aftermarket one?
I personally use a G2 for MSCommNet and general scanning in the Augusta area and it does a great job using just stock antenna

BlackSheepDue

I personally use a G2 for MSCommNet and general scanning in the Augusta area and it does a great job using just stock antenna
How close are you generally to your local towers? I think part of my issue is my closest tower is Ossipee Mountain which is 25+ miles from where I am in Cape Elizabeth.

ME343

ME/NH/VT DB Admin
Database Admin
How close are you generally to your local towers? I think part of my issue is my closest tower is Ossipee Mountain which is 25+ miles from where I am in Cape Elizabeth.
Closet to me is about 5 miles but I have everytower for zone 1&2 in it. I haven't tried the other zones to see what kinda signal id get. But i can try some about 25 miles away and see what i get for results

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
I can receive systems roughly 25 miles out with the stock antenna on 7/800. For VHF, I'd say you would be good.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Echoing the recommendation of @APX8000, get the G2 in VHF. With the external antenna as the primary, you're free to try any VHF antenna including mast-mounted outdoor models, using a proper SMA to BNC adapter.

BlackSheepDue

So I ended up ordering the G2. After a couple hours of comparing them side by side in two different locations in my house they're surprisingly comparable. There were actually a few times where the G5 picked up traffic that the G2 missed. I have not tried any aftermarket antennas on the G2 but according to the dealer I purchased both from they don't recommend using anything but the OEM antennas as it can damage the connection or something along those lines. I thought even with the OEM antenna there would be a noticeable difference but there doesn't seem to be so now I'm thinking about maybe keeping the G5 and returning the G2...

bob550

Premium Subscriber
After a couple hours of comparing them side by side in two different locations in my house they're surprisingly comparable.
That's an interesting observation. You could check the RSSI levels in the Diagnostic menu on both units for a more accurate comparison. But in the end, it's whether you're receiving what you want to hear that matters most.

Status
Not open for further replies.