• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

G3/G5 False Out Of Range Indication

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
Since the upgrade to 1.3 Firmware several of us have been receiving false out of range indications. Including the administrator of the local system. The units will suddenly alert out of range, despite being line of sight of the tower with zero obstructive terrain, the site information being 100% correct, and an RSSI in the area of -45 or better. In fact, this has happened on both of my units on multiple systems in multiple areas in two countries since the firmware upgrade.

And only since the firmware upgrade. The units have not been modified or damaged in any way. The firmware upgrade is the only change.

Is this a known issue pending correction?

blackbelter

I have not experienced "Out of Range" notification, however after the change over to 1.3, my G5 takes longer to obtain the TT. Under 1.2 the pager locked into the TT almost immediately.

bep

Premium Subscriber
Now that you mention it, mine is going in and out of range a good bit. Thought it was my "wonderful" city system.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
I have several G4 and all are operating normally on V1.3 I do get the out of range indication but its in the same spots as it did with V1.2 and all are a result of being in close proximity to a cell tower with Verizon 700 LTE on it.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
I have several G4 and all are operating normally on V1.3 I do get the out of range indication but its in the same spots as it did with V1.2 and all are a result of being in close proximity to a cell tower with Verizon 700 LTE on it.

That was a thought of mine back in Jersey, however there is no Verizon or 700MHz LTE up here at work. All there is in town is Rogers and 4G service on higher frequencies on a single tower, which is pretty low power since the coverage area is only slightly over 3sqmi being that's the extent of the amassed human population in the area.

Last edited:

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
I have not noticed the out of range since upgrading, but I have noticed it seems to takes longer to get the CC and play my voice announcement for that zone.

blackbelter

That’s been exactly my experience as well .I realize that running back and cancelling a FW is a quick resolution however I trust that Unication should come up with some patches to remedy some of these shortcomings specifically not hearing the CC immediately .

Last edited:

ffexpCP

wizard of odd
Database Admin
Meh. Going out of range is nothing new for these things. I can see the tower and mine goes out of range often.

dbodette

Premium Subscriber
Exactly the same issue. Updated to 1.3 and now Out of Range all the time. I can see the tower out my back door! Before this it was solid. Something is wrong here. Hope they find a fix. Can I go back to 1.2?

dbodette

Premium Subscriber
After further experimenting I found that if I connect the radio to an external multi-band scanner antenna mounted on my roof, the radio has two bars of signal strength and stays in range. On the rubber duck antenna, standing outside, broken reception, in and out of range (mostly out). It's almost like they have put an attenuator in the programming, reducing the input signal. JMHO

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I'm running the 1.4 beta firmware head to head vs a SDS100 and haven't had any out of range notifications anywhere the SDS100 was still getting a signal.

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
I just messaged jack on this and he says uni not aware of this issue he needs someone with issue run the log file tool so they can look it over.

hope link works
If in your field test process occurs any issues or problems, please download below "Log Extraction" utility, connect the pager with PC, it can be export your testing pager internal software trace files and upload to Unicaton data server then notify the engineering team. (you can see the attached "Log Extraction User Guide")

Unication Log Extraction Utility

Exactly the same issue. Updated to 1.3 and now Out of Range all the time. I can see the tower out my back door! Before this it was solid. Something is wrong here. Hope they find a fix. Can I go back to 1.2?

picscan

Premium Subscriber
Mine does it frequently too, the other night it did it and I turned off the top bluetooth, bottom one was already off and it came back instantly, coincidence?

rr60

Premium Subscriber
@RadioDitch the pair of G5’s on 1.3 at my home location when stationary never go out of range. I am line of sight to two NJICS systems and several County 700 System’s.

However, both randomly go out of range when in car and VERY near a cellular tower that has 700 LTE.

This occurs only when monitoring PS 700 LSM systems. The cellular must desense or scramble bits raising BER has been my guess. This has been happening since day 1 for me.

This may be different from what you describe.

Status
Not open for further replies.