• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

G3/G5 Mobile Mount

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
Just curious if anyone has found a solution they're using to securely hold their G3 or G5 while driving? I don't know of anyone who makes a specific holder for it. Anyone using a cellphone or GPS mount at all? If so, do you have photos you could share?

Thanks all.

Last edited:

doc62

I replaced the clip on the back with the swivel clip stud and clip the radio to a mic holder on the dash. No issues in over 6 months.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
I removed the clip and installed a Scosche MagicPlate to use with a MagicMount Pro XL. That is installed on a ProClipUSA vehicle specific mount which requires no holes to be drilled in the vehicle. All are available on the ProClipUSA website. I also use them for remote siren controllers, install MagneticMic’s on, etc.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
In addition to the mic and cup holder solutions, I also use the old stock clip to the visor method....

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
I replaced the clip on the back with the swivel clip stud and clip the radio to a mic holder on the dash. No issues in over 6 months.

Curious where you got the swivel clip stud. My G5 didn't come with one.

As to the other options: The cupholder requires taking your eyes off the road to see the screen, as does the visor, which to me is completely unsafe. The visor also makes it nearly impossible to connect to a mobile antenna.

tkowalik

Banned
The reception of the systems I listen to is strong enough that an external antenna is not needed. And I personally never find myself looking at the screen because I can tell by the traffic which TG is active so the visor works perfect for me.

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
The reception of the systems I listen to is strong enough that an external antenna is not needed. And I personally never find myself looking at the screen because I can tell by the traffic which TG is active so the visor works perfect for me.

Fair, but when traveling on long trips however, if you're not familiar with the talkgroups or how the sites are utilized...

radio3353

...As to the other options: The cupholder requires taking your eyes off the road to see the screen...

While your thought is true if one needs to see the screen, in my case I listen to just my county's fire TG's so I have no need to see the screen. That is why I suggested the cup holder option, which is what I use if I take my G4 or G5 on the road. Realistically though, unless the radio is mounted right in front of you or you have a heads-up display, your eyes will leave the road to see the screen. So, I am not sure there is a good answer to the question after all.

blackbelter

I clip my G5 to the visor or place it in the cup holder. Familiarity of all my talk groups has never presented an occasion for me to look at the screen. I also have never attached my Larson Tri bander to the G5, as the supplied antenna is more than effective in receiving talk groups within 30 miles and in full quieting.

maus92

Premium Subscriber

As to the other options: The cupholder requires taking your eyes off the road to see the screen, as does the visor, which to me is completely unsafe. The visor also makes it nearly impossible to connect to a mobile antenna.
For my uses, I don't need to look at the display, or connect an external antenna. If I need to change zones, I'll either do it at a traffic signal, or pull over.

doc62

That's the clip I bought from them. For the mic holder I use one for my jeep that mounts on the left side of the passenger grab bar out of the way of the air bag deployment zone. I only use it for my county, so have no need to change zones when moving.

K6LEH

Premium Subscriber
I use the ProClip (so vehicle specific) dash mount with a magnetic mount (the self adhesive flat metal plate attaches to the battery).

Attachments

• IMG_2151.jpg
    IMG_2151.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 93
  • img_2152.jpg
    img_2152.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_2150.jpg
    IMG_2150.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 94

hummin24

Feed Provider
I use the ProClip (so vehicle specific) dash mount with a magnetic mount (the self adhesive flat metal plate attaches to the battery).
Any performance issues with this magnet set up? Thanks.

K6LEH

Premium Subscriber
Not that I can discern. It sits high enough on the dash so it probably hss better reception than a lower mount.

As an aside-I also have a ProClip for my cell phone on the console. My phone also has a metal plate under it's case and I can stick my phone up on the dash mount if I don't have the pager up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.