• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

G4 Constantly Boot-Loops on Certain Site

Status
Not open for further replies.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
I do not, I did, but deleted the south tower. I now just have the St Louis City North tower programmed. It reboots on the 3 knob positions I have programmed. Knob 1 is St Louis Fire Department dispatch (1 TGID). Knob 2 is St Louis Fire Department EMS (1 TGID) and Knob 3 is St Louis Fire Department comm channels (6 TGIDs) all use just one north tower control channel and all 3 knob positions will reboot randomly. The other 3 knob positions are programmed with 2 sites and multiple TGIDs with no reboots.
How far are you from the system?

llzel

Premium Subscriber
How far are you from the system?

3 miles as the crow flies to the sublet simulcast tower and 6 miles to the downtown simulcast tower. I am right on the city limit. I always have full bars until it hiccups and reboots.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
i went through town yesterday, was working great till I got to the Troy area then it started rebooting constantly

llzel

Premium Subscriber
i went through town yesterday, was working great till I got to the Troy area then it started rebooting constantly
It might be I'm too close to 2 towers simulcasting. They said Unication can handle it

Webodisk

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
I had the same error last night.. I found that when I used the import feature from RR, if the TG name exceeded the character limit allowed by unication it created duplicate alias's which caused my pager to reboot as it scanned the TG's once fixed it stopped

llzel

Premium Subscriber
I didn't import from RR but used RR nomenclature, which I'm sure they do. Huh, I'll check the character lengths.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
We might be on to something
That does make me wonder!
I've always created my talkgroup lists by hand and actually the sites and frequencies for that matter so hmm....
Never had these odd reboot issues although I'm using a G5 and the problem reports are almost always about the G4.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I didn't import from RR but used RR nomenclature, which I'm sure they do. Huh, I'll check the character lengths.
I've never seen PPS accept a character length over whatever the limit is but there is one thing I never watched for. That being possible illegal characters that can maybe sneak in there in a talkgroup name. I've never seen a list of illegal characters that can't be used in the G series PPS but I bet some no-no characters exist. Now if they cause a reboot is another thing. I guess it could do no harm in stripping down your talkgroup list and temp remove anything but alpha characters and see what happens.
Or maybe even easier, create a new knob position for the site that causes the troubles and only the add wildcard talkgroup (65535 I think) and no other talkgroups at all. That should rule out illegal characters or names with too many characters as the cause.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
I've never seen PPS accept a character length over whatever the limit is but there is one thing I never watched for. That being possible illegal characters that can maybe sneak in there in a talkgroup name. I've never seen a list of illegal characters that can't be used in the G series PPS but I bet some no-no characters exist. Now if they cause a reboot is another thing. I guess it could do no harm in stripping down your talkgroup list and temp remove anything but alpha characters and see what happens.
Or maybe even easier, create a new knob position for the site that causes the troubles and only the add wildcard talkgroup (65535 I think) and no other talkgroups at all. That should rule out illegal characters or names with too many characters as the cause.
I’ll do that next time but damn this makes a ton of sense

Remington12G

GØT AES?
Got my new Unication last month, been about 8 months since I had one. I ran 6 different simulcast radio systems (Louisville MetroSafe, NKYRCS, Ohio MARCS, Indiana SAFE-T, Scott County KY CPSCS, Madison County, KY CPSCS) and one site from the University of Kentucky P25 radio system (all in one day, yes that's quite a lot of miles I traveled).

I put in all the talk groups by hand, never rebooted once on any systems. I have noted that my old G4 Pager, when importing Talkgroups, the pager would bug out and suddenly freeze on Scott County CPSCS, UKY, and Madison CPSCS.

It seems that importing causes issues. Most of the time I am programming off of an official list so the RadioReference imports are obsolete anyway. I also had the same experience with sites, never imported them on this pager, all by hand, works great.

Floridarailfanning

Premium Subscriber
While illegal characters may very well be an issue for those who imported, I have added all of the TGs manually on my G4.
Or maybe even easier, create a new knob position for the site that causes the troubles and only the add wildcard talkgroup (65535 I think) and no other talkgroups at all.
I just tested this on my problem site and it made no difference. After about 6 minutes it froze up then rebooted.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
While illegal characters may very well be an issue for those who imported, I have added all of the TGs manually on my G4.

I just tested this on my problem site and it made no difference. After about 6 minutes it froze up then rebooted.
So much for that idea!

Thanks for testing it.

My next thought is back to my first suspicion that they don't like the data probably contained in an opcode or something that's coming over the control channel on some systems and only at certain times. You would sure think the G5's would have the same problem though if that were the case. I assume the firmware for the G series is probably all based on the same code but then again, who knows. Unication is pretty quiet about that. Or there's a lack of error checking taking place causing the pager to reboot if it does become confused from bad data.

llzel

Premium Subscriber
I'll try that tonight. I'll add a knob for st louis ems talkgroup and use EMS for alpha tag and see what happens

llzel

Premium Subscriber
From my dealer, Rays pagers
I also spoke with another Unication engineer about this and they have seen 2 other systems that react the same way. They will be releasing a beta fix firmware for this issue and were planning to let me know when they have that.

llzel

Premium Subscriber
I'll try that tonight. I'll add a knob for st louis ems talkgroup and use EMS for alpha tag and see what happens
didn't work. I programmed one knob for just MOSWIN and one TGID and labeled EMS and still rebooted.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
didn't work. I programmed one knob for just MOSWIN and one TGID and labeled EMS and still rebooted.
Thanks for testing that. I think yours and Floridarailfanning's tests have pretty much confirmed it's nothing the user is doing and is most likely something code related in Unication's firmware.
Hopefully they will release the beta fix!

mdsxfire

EDBM
We might be on to something
i did not import any of my profiles, they were all put in manually, im now up to 15 different systems and not one has this issue other than somerset 700mhz. as soon as i switch to that system the pager gets very laggy, slow to respond to any button pushes, the display apges very slow or not at all sometimes when showing the TG alias and UID, then about every 5 minutes it reboots and starts all over. when i push the zone button it takes about 3 seconds or so to actually respond, once i change zones to another system pager is perfect again.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
i did not import any of my profiles, they were all put in manually, im now up to 15 different systems and not one has this issue other than somerset 700mhz. as soon as i switch to that system the pager gets very laggy, slow to respond to any button pushes, the display apges very slow or not at all sometimes when showing the TG alias and UID, then about every 5 minutes it reboots and starts all over. when i push the zone button it takes about 3 seconds or so to actually respond, once i change zones to another system pager is perfect again.
yeah its not every system, I travel all over the US and only maybe 3 give me fits, I'm sitting in Indianapolis right now and no reboots whatsoever

Floridarailfanning

Premium Subscriber
After some further fiddling with site and TG settings last night I now have a much bigger issue that I had not noticed initally. For testing, I had added a new trunked system containing just the problematic site so that the G4 would be forced to stay with that control channel, but now it's scanning to other sites contained in a separate trunked system (same physical system.)

At seemingly random intervals the radio switches to a site that isn't even in the trunked system configured for the knob. The first time it happened after only about 5 mins but the second time took an hour. :unsure:

These quirks, combined with the inaccurate dBm values in the diagnostics tab are really adding up.

I have a few more things I'm planning to test and will update this if I find anything else significant.

Status
Not open for further replies.