• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

G4/G5 In a Nusthell

Status
Not open for further replies.

slapshot0017

So with the new announcement of unication adding phase 2 to their line of pagers I think its time we get one thread going for all the features, pros and cons that come with this device so that someone seriously considering one of these pagers can make the justification to either their department or themselves.

I myself don't know much about these devices because most of the threads are really broken up.

So if anyone who currently owns the pager could take the time to list the features, pros and cons here I would surely appreciate it.

The implications for these pagers are endless and if we get the community of current users together in an organized manner unication can take the feedback and bring this device to its full potential.

radio3353

As far as specs and features go, that information is readily available on the Unication website.

As for opinions, well everybody has one. What else are you looking for that you haven't already found here?

radio3353

As far as specs and features go, that information is readily available on the Unication website.

As for opinions, well everybody has one. They may or may not be applicable to you. What else are you looking for that you haven't already found here?

SORRY for the duplicate post. Be nice if one could delete their own post when fat fingers attack!

slapshot0017

I find whats on unications website to be very bare. It is my understanding that the pager is currently lacking a tg hold feature, tg hang time, nuiscance delete, does or doesnt allow scanning of conventional and trunking channels at the same time and always records. Does it have a monitor button like the minitors do? How does priority scan work? What is this full spectrum scan?

These are just some of the things I can think of off the top of my head at this time. My experience is almost solely in radios and there are just standard features that seem aren't on this pager.

I understand it wasn't built like a scanner, but why shouldn't it serve a dual purpose? I know so many departments and even individuals who would have a use for this pager in an official capacity. Heck it might even kill conventional paging if they market and implement it correctly. Not a huge fan of that idea, but its so obvious.

troymail

Silent Key
As a scanner user that has no need for a pager, my primary reason for purchasing a G4 is to have a fairly solid solution to listen to P25 Phase 1 (and possibly in the future Phase 2) simulcast systems (as a hobby - not for work). Before my purchase and based a whole lot on being "burned" to some degree with Uniden's glossy pre-sale promises for their current line of flagship scanners, I did my homework to determine in advance that this radio would do what I was expecting before I bought it.

It is unclear what you believe you need this radio for (you really didn't say other than you're trying to justify the cost to someone else so they can pay for it).

If all you really need is VHF or UHF two-tone paging/alerting, then the G4/G5 is overkill. You might feel you need it (or want it) but from a business standpoint, those who pay the bills may not so it the same way. Again, I don't know your situation so I cannot say that with any certainty.

As far as how it works, in terms of monitoring, you can monitor one of more conventional frequency/channels (monitor or silent until tone out) or you can monitor talkgroups on a trunked P25 system (to include as I understand it, for tones). However, you have to choose - scan conventional channels or monitor a (one) trunked system - you can't do both simultaneously - and you can't monitor more than one trunked system at a time. To be clear - it handles P25 control channel systems - not older Motorola systems that have a mix of analog and P25 digital voice.

The radio can always record but you can program it to not record - by talkgroup/channel and/or entire groups of talkgroups/channels.

The programming software does have a Push To Listen option for each group of things which I assume, under the correct programming, does something similar to Minitor pagers.

What "standard features" do you believe aren't on this pager?

As far as being a pager vs. a scanner - clearly they developed a series of pagers for a specific audience. From everything I've read, they never even considered a scanner user market - at least not until scanner users saw the potential of the pagers. They have a market they are trying to serve and need to address issues in that market as a priority over hobby scanner users desires to have things added that were not in their roadmap. The have to support the promises made to existing customers. It makes business sense.

Only the company developing a given capability can tell you what is on their development roadmap/plans and where any additional (new) requests appear or will be inserted on that list. They'll work on where they believe their market (and the money) is. And just like other vendors, they'll keep that close hold because people are far to quick to react to the belief that a feature or capability is coming only to have it delayed/deferred in favor of other features deemed more important or critical to their market base. Sure, they could unlimited resources (people, dollars, etc.) to adding features but only if you the consumer are willing to spend unlimited resources from your hard-earned dollars to pay for it (you won't so they can't).

Should they try to force what started as a pager to be a scanner? In my opinion, probably not. We'd all probably end up being unhappy with how it works because they forced it to be something it was not designed to be.

Could they try to satisfy their hobby scanner user market with another unit? Maybe. But they'll only do that if the financial benefit to the company's bottom line can be seen before going down that road.

Frankly, I think I'd prefer to see the existing scanner vendors produce a new product that starts as a scanner (because that is what is intended to be from the start), receives simulcast (and distant) systems as well as the G4/G5 do, and reuses all of the existing capabilities of scanners that they've already spent years developing. They have the best shot at a scanner like this because they have the history and large code bases of software functionality now. Hopefully, they see the market demand and will (or are?) working in this direction already -- only time will tell.

slapshot0017

As a scanner user that has no need for a pager, my primary reason for purchasing a G4 is to have a fairly solid solution to listen to P25 Phase 1 (and possibly in the future Phase 2) simulcast systems (as a hobby - not for work). Before my purchase and based a whole lot on being "burned" to some degree with Uniden's glossy pre-sale promises for their current line of flagship scanners, I did my homework to determine in advance that this radio would do what I was expecting before I bought it.

Yes and that is what I want to do before I purchase it and suggest it to others.

It is unclear what you believe you need this radio for (you really didn't say other than you're trying to justify the cost to someone else so they can pay for it).

I never said anything about someone else paying for it. You need to be informed on the features a device has before you make a purchase. I'm saying if the features justify purchasing the device.

If all you really need is VHF or UHF two-tone paging/alerting, then the G4/G5 is overkill. You might feel you need it (or want it) but from a business standpoint, those who pay the bills may not so it the same way. Again, I don't know your situation so I cannot say that with any certainty.

I'm not convincing anyone to buy it. I'm just generalizing.

As far as how it works, in terms of monitoring, you can monitor one of more conventional frequency/channels (monitor or silent until tone out) or you can monitor talkgroups on a trunked P25 system (to include as I understand it, for tones). However, you have to choose - scan conventional channels or monitor a (one) trunked system - you can't do both simultaneously - and you can't monitor more than one trunked system at a time. To be clear - it handles P25 control channel systems - not older Motorola systems that have a mix of analog and P25 digital voice.

This is a bit of a disappointment as in my situation we have half the departments in the area who use 1 trunked system and the other half use conventional channels. I don't personally want it for that as I already have a means for the conventional side. Its the trunking side that seems to allude me. So in my case the upgraded G5 would be perfect for my needs.

The radio can always record but you can program it to not record - by talkgroup/channel and/or entire groups of talkgroups/channels.

The programming software does have a Push To Listen option for each group of things which I assume, under the correct programming, does something similar to Minitor pagers.

What "standard features" do you believe aren't on this pager?

I don't really know what features it has that's why I am asking. Almost every radio out of the box has a scan feature with lookback time, dual priorities and nuisance delete. They also can open the squelch on a channel and monitor it. Obviously the main feature is to be able to stay on one channel without scanning. These are just things all public safety radios come standard with. That is what I'm talking about.

As far as being a pager vs. a scanner - clearly they developed a series of pagers for a specific audience. From everything I've read, they never even considered a scanner user market - at least not until scanner users saw the potential of the pagers. They have a market they are trying to serve and need to address issues in that market as a priority over hobby scanner users desires to have things added that were not in their roadmap. The have to support the promises made to existing customers. It makes business sense.

I am not even talking about hobbyists. Many agencies use the scan features on their radio.

Only the company developing a given capability can tell you what is on their development roadmap/plans and where any additional (new) requests appear or will be inserted on that list. They'll work on where they believe their market (and the money) is. And just like other vendors, they'll keep that close hold because people are far to quick to react to the belief that a feature or capability is coming only to have it delayed/deferred in favor of other features deemed more important or critical to their market base. Sure, they could unlimited resources (people, dollars, etc.) to adding features but only if you the consumer are willing to spend unlimited resources from your hard-earned dollars to pay for it (you won't so they can't).

Should they try to force what started as a pager to be a scanner? In my opinion, probably not. We'd all probably end up being unhappy with how it works because they forced it to be something it was not designed to be.

Could they try to satisfy their hobby scanner user market with another unit? Maybe. But they'll only do that if the financial benefit to the company's bottom line can be seen before going down that road.

Frankly, I think I'd prefer to see the existing scanner vendors produce a new product that starts as a scanner (because that is what is intended to be from the start), receives simulcast (and distant) systems as well as the G4/G5 do, and reuses all of the existing capabilities of scanners that they've already spent years developing. They have the best shot at a scanner like this because they have the history and large code bases of software functionality now. Hopefully, they see the market demand and will (or are?) working in this direction already -- only time will tell.

Again, I am not talking about hobbyists and all of the extra, honestly useless, features that scanners have. Just talking about the basics.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
So it kind of sounds like you started this thread to simply rehash or summarize what has already been discussed on the forums. Correct?

slapshot0017

My intention was to organize and consolidate for those who don't have time to scour the forum for a more detailed over view of the devices.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

troymail

Silent Key
They need to take the time and do the research... Everyone's situation and needs are different. If you don't do the research, you have only yourself to blame when you receive the unit and it doesn't do what you thought it would and/or to your satisfaction.

When I ordered mine, the order clearly stated "cannot be returned". So, when you order and acknowledge that, you can't come back later and complain because you didn't do your research before hand.

Having said that - I know some folks are upset that they paid higher prices and may have be told by someone that things like a Phase 2 upgrade would be free....

As far as the higher prices - I can say that I got burned by that when I bought my last Uniden scanners -- the prices did (and always do) drop after the initial surge - that's normal.

And as far as promises made (I'll leave Uniden out of this one - it's just not worth it...), anyone can promise anything and later say "I never said that". Buyer (always) beware - get it in writing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.