• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

G4 or G5 what to purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRush311

Premium Subscriber
I've finally gotten tired of the p25 garble my uniden gets
I'm looking at these 2 pagers to set up as scanners

I understand the difference between G4 and G5 is dual band
How do I know if I need to spend the extra money or if I even need that option?

I mainly want to monitor p25 phase1 trunked 853 MHz

JASII

Memory Capacity
G4 Or G5 What To Purchase

I bought a Unication G5 lat year. There was a time when they were the same price, so it was a "no-brainer" for me. I live in Minnesota, but I am not far from Wisconsin. Wisconsin does have a VHF high band trunked system. I could use the G5 for that when I am over there. If I were you, based on what you have stated, I would probably simply get the G4. I would encourage you to see what the current price difference is, though. If they aren't that far apart in price, it might be handy to have VHF in a one device.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
So what would be a scenario you would need the dual band

I have a VHF flavor G5, but for me the VHF hardly gets used. I primarily use the G5 for P25 mobile monitoring, for which it is a great option. I rarely use it at home because truthfully it is not that great as a scanner. It can only monitor one system at a time, plus there is no scan delay function for talkgroups, or a proper way to hold on a talkgroup of interest. And the sound quality from the tiny speaker is not super in my opinion. It's not really stellar on VHF conventional either, as it only uses its internal antenna for that band unless apparently it's in the optional charging stand. There have been a couple times where I've needed to drive into a neighboring county that still uses VHF and was glad I could switch the radio over to monitor them. But if I had it to do over I would probably save a little cash and just get a G4.

Last edited:

owenbricker

700/800 would be used to monitor your system, VHF/UHF would be used to monitor conventional frequencies or trunk or use a conventional frequency for paging.

JRush311

Premium Subscriber
Would I also be able to pick up Motorola smart net 2
System ?
853mhz ish

Myrtle beach public safety system RRDB says it was rebranded and possibly not compatible

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
No, as far as trunking goes, it only receives P25 Phase 1 trunked systems. It will also receive P25 and analog conventional frequencies.

I bought the G5 initially, and realized I wasn't using VHF at all in my area, so when I purchased two more, I went with the G4 to keep the cost down.

I did a review a while back that you may find interesting.

Unication G5 Voice Pager as a Scanner - Review

Would I also be able to pick up Motorola smart net 2
System ?
853mhz ish

Myrtle beach public safety system RRDB says it was rebranded and possibly not compatible

JRush311

Premium Subscriber
Great information and sorry I'm rather new to this hobby
It seems I should keep my uniden 396xt for when I travel to places like myrtle beach
That use other systems and purchase a G4 to monitor my hometown
It would seem ,for me, there would be no reason to purchase the G5 and spend extra

JRush311

Premium Subscriber
I'm still curious why you would need the dual band tho
What would be a scenario that would make the G5 more applicable

KO4RJX

Premium Subscriber
I use the G5 for vhf paging for my fire department. Then I can switch to another knob and listen to our 800 p25 system. It eliminates me having to find the ops channel on my department issued radio while driving.

Or when we respond to the next county over I can minitor their operations channel (nc viper) on either the G5 or handheld radio while keeping the other on our county system.

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
I have the national VHF interop channels programmed, along with weather, ham radio, and other things that might be interesting. With all of the other scanners that I have, I haven't needed to use the G5 for VHF, but it's there, if it's the only radio I have with me.

phirephoto

Premium Subscriber

Well, is there anything you'd want to listen to on the pager that's VHF? There's your answer :) For me, a county is 800 P25 trunked, and a county south of me is mainly VHF, so no brainer for me.

troymail

Silent Key
My county (and many around) "simulcast" the page/alert on VHF (154) but operate on 700/800 Mhz. Some do the same but page/alert on a UHF frequency.

So my assumption is that you could put the pager in stand-by/alert mode on the VHF paging frequency and then when responding, switch to the P25 response system talkgroup/channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.