G4 or sds200 VFD

Status
Not open for further replies.

I've been a user of monitor/scanner radios since 1971. I have owned many over the years, and still have a four channel Regency and a Bearcat 101 (which just finally surrendered). They all provided good service until the 800 mhz digital trunking began. My current radios are a Radio Shack Pro197 and a Uniden 536. I just can't take the frustration anymore of the garbled transmissions and have the funds to get a better radio. Both of my current radios work well enough to receive the original fire dispatch transmission. I need to monitor both Carroll and Baltimore Counties in MD (digital 800 Trunking), and do so using either/both the Carroll high band pager 150mhz or Balto low band 46mhz channel along with the 800mhz trunked band. The trunked dispatch channel usually works ok (mostly), it's the mobile reponse that gets all garbled or is missing entirely. Sometimes over 50% of the entire trunked conversation will be garbled or missed.

I understand that the G4 is not a scanner. I did borrow one for a day. When I heard the dispatch on my current scanner I would then turn it on to the response channel to follow the communication. It worked very well, but not as convenient as just having one radio "do it all". Perhaps having a small G4 would have some benefits (portability, stuff it in my pocket while enroute to the firehouse, use for portable monitoring of dispatch, and so forth).

I would appreciate any opinions on the Uniden sds200. Does it solve this distortion issue? Anyone have any long turn use of either or both can share some insight?

Don't think I'm interested in the sds100. I really like the bigger base units. I had a Uniden handheld once (don't remember the model) Always felt kinda plastic cheap and not too rugged. The G4 seems solid.

Thanks.

R0am3r

Salt Water Conch
Premium Subscriber
The SDS200 solves the simulcast distortion issues. I use mine to monitor the CNYICC P25 simulcast systems (in Upstate NY) and can monitor 100 percent of the unencrypted transmissions from Oswego, Onondaga, Madison, and Oneida counties. One of the nicest features of the SDS series scanners is the ability to monitor non-P25 systems. I often drag my SDS100 along with me when I travel to monitor DMR, LTR, and NXDN systems. Since you already own the Uniden 536, you can transfer your favorites lists over to the SDS scanner(s).

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
I'd say the G4, it's portable, rugged like you said and it solves the simulcast issues. While the 200 solves the simulcast issues. I have a both a G4 and SDS100 and they go neck and neck performance wise.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
I'd say the G4, it's portable, rugged like you said and it solves the simulcast issues. While the 200 solves the simulcast issues. I have a both a G4 and SDS100 and they go neck and neck performance wise.
Same, and you can setup alerts on the G4 too.

hill

Premium Subscriber
I don't have SDS Series scanner and have had a G4 for two weeks. It's a awesome device and works well for me monitoring all the P25 system Maryland and Pennsylvania.

Yes the radio has some limitations, but the positives outweigh the negatives.

The receive is great and I been able to receive Baltimore County from I495 and I95 in Prince George's County all on its stubby antenna. I work in Jessup and Baltimore County comes in with no issues inside the building.

The G4 has enough knob positions and zones for all the systems in the area and can different things to monitor on each position.

Also great form factor and is small and easy to carry when out.

I have other radios and scanners when want to monitor other bands.

Larry

SpectralContent

Feed Provider
I just recently got the SDS100 and it preforms very well on all the systems around the Baltimore Area. To my knowledge, it is pretty much the same as the SDS200 in regards to performance. I have not had any episodes of prolonged distortion with the scanner to date. There will occasionally be a transmission here and there with distortion, but then again nothing is perfect all the time. It has always been an isolated occurrence to one transmission and never consecutive. Comparing it to the RTL-SDRs I have running SDRTrunk on the FIRST network, there have been many times where a transmission will come in clear on the SDS100 while coming in completely distorted on the SDRs.

You are right in assuming the build quality of the SDS100 is nowhere near that of a commercial radio/pager. It was a bit of a let down. Despite that, it is a great scanner overall. I have debated reselling my SDS100 and getting a G4/5 for its better build quality and dedication to P25. However, the versatility of the SDS on digital and analog across all bands has kept me from pulling the trigger on that currently.

Magnetsteve

Both are great, I absolutely love my G5. I have used it for about 3, going on 4 years and I recommend the Unication to everyone I know looking for P25 and especially simulcast. The Uniden is great too, but the portability and ruggedness of the Unication is fantastic. Highly recommend the Unication. I use mine to monitor our P25 P2 simulcast system and it also serves as my fire pager. It performs flawlessly.

AzTac

I own both the SDS100 and 200 AND the Unication G4. While I can't speak to the specifics of your locale, I can tell you that the G4 far surpasses the performance of both SDS units in the notoriously difficult Phoenix, AZ metro area simulcast environment.

There's a reason fire departments issue the G4 - it's a professional grade radio. If you're interested in scanning a a whole bunch of channels and hearing little bits and pieces of numerous conversations then the SDS would be your choice. If you want to focus on a smaller number of channels and actually hear full conversations the G4 cannot be beaten. As an example of my setup, I put all 7 Phoenix police precincts in the first channel and then each individual precinct in the subsequent channels. I normally listen to channel 1 with all precincts until something catches my ear then I tune to that dedicated channel. Works beautifully. I have similar setups for all the smaller metro agencies.

(Don't be confused by the description of the G4 as a "pager." While it can also function as such, it's much more accurately defined as a receiver with far more capabilities than a pager.)

I can assure you that you won't be disappointed in the G4, but odds are you won't be able to say the same about the SDS.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Just for thought. If you're going to invest in a unication a g5 with dual band would be ideal. Better to have it and not need it then need it and not have one. Whether its vhf and uhf or vhf 7/800 or uhf 7/800.

blackbelter

While I agree that SDS 200 is a good scanner ,listening to my G5 is much more enjoyable , complete with over all performance which is far superior to any scanner .

Last edited:

maus92

Premium Subscriber
If you want to listen to Carroll County and Baltimore County at the same time (aka scan between systems), you should get the SDS100 or 200. Both radios perform well on both systems. If you only want / need to listen to one system at a time, the G4 will do the job, and can be set up to scan multiple talk groups in a single knob position (although you cannot hold or lockout tgs.) The G4 is a somewhat better receiver as it is a commercial / professional grade device, and it is certainly more portable and rugged than the Unidens. Cost is roughly the same. I own both, but the SDS200 is set up with GPS location control, which is very convenient for me and my use case.

KC3ECJ

I don't have SDS Series scanner and have had a G4 for two weeks. It's a awesome device and works well for me monitoring all the P25 system Maryland and Pennsylvania.

Yes the radio has some limitations, but the positives outweigh the negatives.

The receive is great and I been able to receive Baltimore County from I495 and I95 in Prince George's County all on its stubby antenna. I work in Jessup and Baltimore County comes in with no issues inside the building.

The G4 has enough knob positions and zones for all the systems in the area and can different things to monitor on each position.

Also great form factor and is small and easy to carry when out.

I have other radios and scanners when want to monitor other bands.

Larry

It doesn't do every site of the Pennsylvania P-25 system though. Theres VHF high, UHF, and 700/800.

tvengr

Well Known Member
I need to monitor both Carroll and Baltimore Counties in MD (digital 800 Trunking), and do so using either/both the Carroll high band pager 150mhz or Balto low band 46mhz channel along with the 800mhz trunked band. The trunked dispatch channel usually works ok (mostly), it's the mobile reponse that gets all garbled or is missing entirely. Sometimes over 50% of the entire trunked conversation will be garbled or missed.
The G4 and G5 pagers will only monitor one system and one site at a time. To monitor both Baltimore and Carroll Counties at the same time would require the SDS100 handheld or SDS200 base/mobile or two pagers. The SDS100/200 scanners and the G4/G5 pagers are the only radios that will receive the Baltimore County simulcast system at my home.

ResQguy

Meh
Premium Subscriber
If you only want / need to listen to one system at a time, the G4 will do the job, and can be set up to scan multiple talk groups in a single knob position (although you cannot hold or lockout tgs.)

The HOLD and BLOK ability has been available in the G series pagers for 2 years or more.

belvdr

In the standard firmware? I never noticed that feature.
It is in v1.31. However, the TG has to be active before it becomes available. In other words, you can’t hold or block if nothing is occurring on that TG.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
It is in v1.31. However, the TG has to be active before it becomes available. In other words, you can’t hold or block if nothing is occurring on that TG.
How are these functions activated / deactivated? TBH, I rarely look at radio displays at all unless I'm sitting at a desk (which is rare anymore. lol.)

belvdr

I believe it is enabled in the pager config tab. Unfortunately, my PPS machine is unavailable for a few weeks for me to verify.

Status
Not open for further replies.