• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

G4 - Reception Has Ceased - Display shows 'Device Error. Please contact your local dealer for more information.'

Status
Not open for further replies.

county

Premium Subscriber
Hello!

A friend's G4 has stopped receiving his local P25 trunking system. Though it's likely coincidence only, the issue happened right after acquiring/using the amplified speaker drop-in charger. He mentioned also a family member not familiar with the radio had been pressing buttons on it shortly before the issue surfaced.

We've tried re-programming in PPS, battery pulls, and a re-program of the very latest firmware, and the issue still persists. We also put in a codeplug from another G4 used on the same system, and same results.

The radio display will appear normal as if it's scanning but will show 0 signal-bars, and there is no RFSS/Site information shown, then ultimately the error message 'Device Error. Please contact your local dealer for more information.' will show on the screen after a minute or so, or immediately if getting in to the menu.

He's planning to contact Unication Support later this week. Might also try the dealer per suggestion of the error message, but my experience has been the dealers aren’t as issue-resolution savvy. The radio is still under warranty, but we were hoping for a quick do-it-yourself remedy. I did some searches and didn't find any other reports of this particular issue.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Last edited:

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
How old is the battery? I had some issues like that with the Poly battery. I sold the charger then learned the issue was the battery not the charger. I got a new Ion battery and the problems went away.

You can also try a battery pull, then reinstall the battery and plug in the wall charger and let it fully charge. Turn the pager on and unplug the charger and let it reboot.

county

Premium Subscriber
How old is the battery? I had some issues like that with the Poly battery. I sold the charger then learned the issue was the battery not the charger. I got a new Ion battery and the problems went away.

You can also try a battery pull, then reinstall the battery and plug in the wall charger and let it fully charge. Turn the pager on and unplug the charger and let it reboot.

Good suggestion. Battery and radio are about 6 months old. The issue still happens even when power from AC adapter is applied but we will try a battery swap and report back.

county

Premium Subscriber
Update: my friend talked to Unication Support and the unit needs to be returned for RMA service.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
Mine has the same issue and I've just not felt like spending the $40 needed to get it back to Unication safely and have just dealt with the issue. Mine resets itself after about 20 seconds so I've been putting this off. I need to send mine in and put an end to this issue as well.

county

Premium Subscriber
Curious to know if it was a failure of a part of the pager or was due to family members button pushing?
Will post their findings . . from the description over the phone they weren’t positive what the cause or failure was.
They agreed we’d done all the right troubleshooting/recovery steps (noted in the first post).

county

Premium Subscriber
Thanks yes let me know please
Unication Support has been great on this issue. . they aren’t sure what the problem is with the radio. It’s a rare problem, and additional troubleshooting and diagnostics is just going to cost more than a warranty replace of the radio, which is what they are going to do for my friend (y)

Status
Not open for further replies.