• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

G4 Unication Pager only allows push to talk

Lmscorpio

I am brand spanking new to these pagers and am just learning how to program them. I have a G4 pager that somehow is now muted. The only way to listen to any talkgroup is to hold the reset button for push to listen. Push to listen is turned off, I have tones turned on for all of the channels, it shows that I am on duty. I am not familiar w/ the programming side, but I had someone who is look into it and they advised that all settings are as they should be for our county. There is a small mute icon that appears at the bottom right corner of the screen whenever one of my units keys up. I have not changed any of the settings on the pager, it was given to a trainee who returned it stating that they touched nothing, that it was muted since she received it. Does anyone have any ideas as to what caused this and how to fix it?

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Do you have a different codeplug to put in your pager, as a test? (Read & save your current codeplug, before putting in the new one.)

N6ML

What have you selected as "Alert Mode" for the knob position(s) (tab D6 in PPS) in question? It should be "Tone", *not* "Silent", if you want to monitor the audio. If you don't want an alert tone, set the "Alert Mode" to "None" for the group(s) on tab D5.

Lmscorpio

Do you have a different codeplug to put in your pager, as a test? (Read & save your current codeplug, before putting in the new one.)
I think I'm going to have to "recreate" the layout of talkgroups that we have. Unfortunately, I don't have the previous code plug for it. It was created for our 911 center to allow trainees to monitor our fire and police radios to train their radio ear, so it's not a codeplug that I have handy, it was just put together. Another question reference this, do you need to go through MPSCS to get the codeplugs for these? Or is it something that you can just create yourself by loading the talk groups? Sorry for the noob questions, brand spanking new to this.

Lmscorpio

What have you selected as "Alert Mode" for the knob position(s) (tab D6 in PPS) in question? It should be "Tone", *not* "Silent", if you want to monitor the audio. If you don't want an alert tone, set the "Alert Mode" to "None" for the group(s) on tab D5.
I did double check this, they're all set to Tone. I was told having it on silent will make it muted. Is that true?

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I think I'm going to have to "recreate" the layout of talkgroups that we have. Unfortunately, I don't have the previous code plug for it. It was created for our 911 center to allow trainees to monitor our fire and police radios to train their radio ear, so it's not a codeplug that I have handy, it was just put together. Another question reference this, do you need to go through MPSCS to get the codeplugs for these? Or is it something that you can just create yourself by loading the talk groups? Sorry for the noob questions, brand spanking new to this.
You can create your own. I started with a borrowed one, but then created two from scratch. (For MPSCS.)

picscan

Premium Subscriber
Did you read this and try these?

Lmscorpio

I wanted to thank all of you for trying to help. I did get it figured out thanks to Rays (they're awesome btw). In the programming, it was selected to be silent. I can't remember where no as I don't have a pager to go into the program (this was for a trainee, I don't have my own) but it was fixed. Once I get my hands on another one, I'll post the fix for anyone who has this problem in the future. Thanks though to everyone who tried to help, I really appreciate it.