• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

G5 and DMR

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecarvalho

I don't think there is DMR in the actual protocol page for neither G4 or G5. I own both and never seen DMR listed. Would be nice tho!

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
When i got my G4 about a year ago the help files in the software mentioned DMR as well.
Although it never officially supported DMR the hardware can. Its an issue of licensing the hardware per unit to do it and then writing the code for the programming software to handle it as well.

Jimco

Probably. I was hoping it was already there since Phase II is already going to cost another $150. :) I'd be more interested in DMR than Phase II right now, but it would be nice to have both.

ecarvalho

Yep... so, for now I sit here and wait for that awesome phase 2 firmware upgrade. Having 2 pagers I guess I have to buy the upgrade twice? Is one PPS. for both so I'm not so sure how that is going to work

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
I posed a hypothetical question to David a while back about that. The response was basically IF there was enough interest in DMR to justify the cost of R&D to enable it in the radio they would seek those avenues.
Across the country there are a number of police, fire and ambulance services going the DMR route. Perhaps once the Phase 2 upgrades are done they might have time to focus on DMR.
I too would love to see it happen. Id sell my 2 G4 units and pick up a couple of G5 UHF in a heartbeat.

troymail

Silent Key
Yep... so, for now I sit here and wait for that awesome phase 2 firmware upgrade. Having 2 pagers I guess I have to buy the upgrade twice? Is one PPS. for both so I'm not so sure how that is going to work

The PPS reads your serial number off the radio - it will know which radio is plugged in and if it has license for the upgrade.

Last edited:

CanesFan95

I wouldn't hold my breath on DMR. We can't even get a scan delay and a hold/resume button, much less Phase II.

Jimco

I wouldn't hold my breath on DMR. We can't even get a scan delay and a hold/resume button, much less Phase II.

Phase II is coming. There were other things that took priority over it, but it's coming in a few months. Unication has also hinted that they might be willing to add some scanner-like features, but since the G5 isn't a scanner, it hardly seems legitimate to criticize it for not having the features of a scanner.

Jim

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber

How about it's just about impossible to access the menu or settings when receiving audio. A simple task that just about any cheap scanner/radio/pager can do.

ecarvalho

It's not a scanner but I agree that trying to get to the menu while on a busy system can be a hassle. What I do is turning the knob to a quiet system and perform my menu changes. It's not a show stopper right now.

CanesFan95

But really, I mean, how many lines of code would it even take to fix these problems? And why does it take months and months?

Jimco

Fixing the menu issue might not be as easy as you might think at first. If you're a first responder, you certainly need to make sure that you don't miss something because you're in a menu. Therefore, you might think that they way to fix this is allow the reception of the signal, but don't display the "To" and "Fm" indicator. However, that might be important information to a first responder, so that may not be the right solution.

Personally, I would prefer for Unication to not only take their time and make sure that any change is implemented as it should be, but also to continue to focus on the bread and butter of their market; first responders. Many scanner hobbyists aren't willing to spend so much money on a G4/G5, and if Unication caters to us at the expense of first responders, it might not be a wise business decision.

Just another perspective.

Jim

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
It takes months and months because of all the liability they face if they screw something up.
This isnt a device used by hobbyist. Its in the hands of first responders. Those who are also saving lifes.
I wouldnt want my first responder to have a pager fail due to rushed software updates.

Plus im sure they have someone over seas writing the code and making adjustments and it gets sent back to US for testing and back and forth. That stuff takes time.

mule1075

Feed Provider
But really, I mean, how many lines of code would it even take to fix these problems? And why does it take months and months?
It takes months and months because it is a commercial pager that is being used by hobbyists.It is not a consumer grade scanner.

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

phirephoto

Premium Subscriber

There's a saying in programming: Fix one thing, break 3 others. And it's true. I spent 5 years in a software company, and saw many times the programmers change 2 lines of code, and see 3 totally unrelated things break. They'd spend hours trying to figure out why.

Status
Not open for further replies.