• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

G5 and Simulcast System Sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScanFanEd

Premium Subscriber
When it comes to Simulcast systems on the G5, can anyone advise if the pager basically locks onto the closest or strongest site that is programmed, and remains there until signal is lost? Below is why I am asking...

I have programmed in the San Diego County NextGen Phase II System, with the CC's of several sites. When I enter the county, the pager locks onto the Northern Site (which I would expect it to), however some of the TG's that I am interested in do not appear to be affiliated with this site, therefore they are not heard. As I get closer and even into the area of the site that the TG's are affiliated with, the G5 seems to still remain locked onto the CC of the original site, as it is still in range. Is there a way to actually select which site/CC should be used, or is it going to always lock onto the first that it "hears" and remain there until it loses it?

I assume that I can setup separate zones for sites, however I am hoping that there is an easier or more logical to handle handing off between Simulcast sites.

Thanks!

N6ML

This has nothing to do with SimulCast, really, but yes; it locks onto the best site it can find, and stays on that site until it decides that it's out of range, based on a high decode error rate. Only then will it try again to find the best site within the system. If you travel between areas, it's advised to program each site as a separate system, with knob positions using each, so you can control which site you're listening to.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
The Unications roaming is pretty much it stays on the first CC it finds that it can decode and stays there until it reaches a predetermined BER. Then it will lock on the next CC it can decode.

amys17

Premium Subscriber
The other option, not s much of a pain in the butt you're traveling but still requires you to turn knobs is to turn your knob position to a different knob. Preferable that it be a blank or a knob that diesnt use the same tower. Then switch it back to the knob you want. That will force it to look for the strongest tower, which may be the one you want to hear, the only other option is wgat others have said which is to program the knob next to it with those talkgroups and the tower in that county you want to hear.

Mr_Boh

Unfortunately the world of monitoring now requires a bit of homework and knowledge of the system to best plan how to program devices, particularly the G5 with it's excellent range and sensitivity.

Example is monitoring a system where they have a second, smaller site to fill a coverage gap. Coverage isn't just for the towers transmitting, but their ability to "hear" the subscribers as well. So in this example, I typically won't program sites like these since they fill a gap where a larger site is able to be picked up by the G5 fine. The problem I would run into is the G5 would lock onto the smaller site that didn't have as many talkgroups on it, but all the talkgroups on the smaller site where available on the larger simulcast, which more or less covers the same geographic area for the G5 fine.

Also, as mentioned already, breaking down a larger system into smaller system with the site(s) and the appropriate talkgroups for those sites can be beneficial. That has been the best for me. I curate the CSVs that get imported rather than the codeplugs themselves since with importing I can quickly build a codeplug from scratch just importing the stuff then assigning the zones.

Status
Not open for further replies.