• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

G5 antenna quit working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

picscan

Premium Subscriber
So today I went to work and was wondering why I wasn't hearing any calls all morning, I took the pager off my belt and looked and all I was getting was "out of range" no matter what channel I went to. Pin is in there, nothing physically I can see wrong with the antenna so I put my Motorola antenna on from a different radio and it works fine. How does an antenna break?

RBMTS

Have you put the Motorola antenna on the G5 before? Being that the connector on the G5 antenna is somewhat recessed, you might have pushed the pin down in the radio and it's no longer making a connection with the G5 antenna (and why it is on the Motorola antenna).

Just a thought.

picscan

Premium Subscriber
I used the Motorola on the G5 about 6 months ago to listen to a distant site but the stubby has been working all that time until today. Is it okay to pull on the pin to bring it up? Still can't figure why it would just quit today though.

RBMTS

If this is what indeed happened, it probably reached the point that the pin would no longer connect with the G5 antenna.

If you decide to try to pull it up, you could end up breaking it. What you decide to do is up to you.

There have been other threads about NOT putting different antennas on the G5 for this very reason.

picscan

Premium Subscriber
Arrrrgh! Thanks. Is it just pushed in or actually wired?

radio3353

If your G5 is still under warranty, send it in (via your dealer) and Unication will fix the connector at no charge. And just remember that any antenna you use must have the recessed center socket (look at the connector on the original Unication antenna to see what I mean.)

picscan

Premium Subscriber
Not under warranty and probably not the right way to do it but I took the tiniest piece of voice coil wire and stuck it in the antenna hole and got it working again. Now it picks up the distant site I was trying to hear when I had the Motorola antenna on.:unsure:

GTO_04

Have you put the Motorola antenna on the G5 before? Being that the connector on the G5 antenna is somewhat recessed, you might have pushed the pin down in the radio and it's no longer making a connection with the G5 antenna (and why it is on the Motorola antenna).

Just a thought.

How high should the center pin be on the G5 antenna socket? I could not find an image of it anywhere after a Google search.

GTO_04

N6ML

How high should the center pin be on the G5 antenna socket? I could not find an image of it anywhere after a Google search.

I"m not going to even try to take a photo of it, but the tip of mine is about 2.5mm down from the top edge of the rubber skirt, and the bottom of the connector is 6.25mm down, so I guess the pin (the exposed part) is about 3.75mm long.

GTO_04

Looks like I am OK then. Thank you! I have used Motorola antennas on it before but I have been careful (and maybe lucky tooo).

GTO_04

picscan

Premium Subscriber
I didn't know I had a 5 year warranty, I'm going to send it in to fix the antenna, the joystick quit working, charging port is loose and it occasionally goes through boot up when I change channels. I got the lucky one, it pretty much just sits there next to my chair on the end table.

Status
Not open for further replies.