• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

G5 battery does not hold charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackbelter

I am having an issue with my 6 months old G5 battery Which seems to not hold charge any longer . Pulling the battery out gave the pager life and I placed it in my amplified charger and it showed being Fully charged , however upon removing the pager From the charger and after few minutes the pager does not turn on . Could it be that these batteries lasting only 6 months ( normal 2 to 3 hours a day with brightness in the medium setting ) ? After each fully charged session the pager sits loosely in the charger . I also have tried the supplied usb cable with the same results .
I have contacted my dealer and the battery Is being replaced before I RMA my pager .

picscan

Premium Subscriber
I'm still getting about 14-15 hours out of my 1 1/2 year old battery, I plug it in before bed and unplug it in the morning and use it all day.

JoeyC

They recommend replacing every 6 months, but I've been using mine longer and so far its still pretty good although I think I am charging it more frequently then in the early days. I suspect YMMV with usage patterns.

blackbelter

They recommend replacing every 6 months, but I've been using mine longer and so far its still pretty good although I think I am charging it more frequently then in the early days. I suspect YMMV with usage patterns.
I agree, however there is a large gap between using it all day for 1 and half year than in my case 2 to 3 hours a day in 6 months , further more , I have followed all the recommended steps to minimize the battery over usage. I will wait to receive my new battery.

Last edited:

blackbelter

Tonight while the pager was off and loosely sitting in the amplified charger, all the top 3 lights came on to Red/orange /orange .
Any idea why ? Shall I just pull the old battery out until the new one arrives ? Placing the pager firmly in the charger or using the supplied cable did not activate the charging action.

Last edited:

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Tonight while the pager was loosely sitting in the amplified charger and I am waiting for the new battery to arrive , all the top 3 lights came on to Red/orange /orange .
Any idea why ? Shall I just pull the old battery out until the new one arrives ?

I would err on the side of caution and yank the battery. Maybe even place it in a steel ammo case or outdoors away from anything combustible just in case it decides to go up in flames.
Lithium cells have improved a lot these days but you still see stories of them going up in flames very rapidly.

Six months seems to be an awful short lifetime. My original cell was still going strong in my G5 that I've had for a few years now. Unication ended up sending me a new one under a safety recall though. I probably do not use mine every day though.
Unication may just be covering their rear being these radios are really intended for the public safety user. I'd almost think a couple years would be more realistic unless you are fully depleting yours and recharging it back to 100% each day.

Hopefully the new one will work fine.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
To properly trouble shoot this charge your unit fully using a micro usb cable and the supplied charger or a 1 amp phone charger.
Test that for a few days and let us know if that help.
I now you tried this but based on what your describing it sounds like placing it "loosely" in the amplified charger is not charging it.
If the battery does go completely dead and is like that for a while it will not show any activity on the pager when you plug in the charging cable. It will try to recover the battery with a very slow trickle charge until the voltage goes up enough to charge it properly. If its really a dead battery it will take 30 minutes to an hour to recover before it will show any signs of life on the pager. Once it does then it will do its normal rapid charge.

I have several desktop chargers and occasionally my unit will show its charging (red light on top) but its not actually charging. Taking it off and reseating it fixes that issue. Ive also had it happen with it flash Charging... Stop Charging... back and forth while in the desktop charger. So again its not seated properly and the red led is on but its not actually charging

If your battery is swollen then yes it for sure needs to be replaced.
But its probably good just not getting a proper charge due to it not being seated correctly on the amplified charger.

blackbelter

Thanks for all the replies. Perhaps I should further describe the term " loosely in the charger". I only rest the pager loosely in the charger after a full charging session. I always make certain that the pager sets correctly in the charger to properly be charged. My encounter with this issue started when the battery was fully charged and shortly after removing the pager it went off and would not turn back on.

blackbelter

Some time ago (Maybe 6-8 months) there was a recall on a certain batch of Unication batteries. I know there were several threads on this issue. Do a search and you should be able to find them.
Thanks for your response my battery however is not part of that recall: The recalled batteries were the polymer .

nyscan

Are you sure it is a battery problem and not a glitch with the pager.

mdsxfire

EDBM
I am having an issue with my 6 months old G5 battery Which seems to not hold charge any longer . Pulling the battery out gave the pager life and I placed it in my amplified charger and it showed being Fully charged , however upon removing the pager From the charger and after few minutes the pager does not turn on . Could it be that these batteries lasting only 6 months ( normal 2 to 3 hours a day with brightness in the medium setting ) ? After each fully charged session the pager sits loosely in the charger . I also have tried the supplied usb cable with the same results .
I have contacted my dealer and the battery Is being replaced before I RMA my pager .
have you contacted unication? i would think it is still under warranty after 6 months.
My G5 is 2 years 3 months old i charge it when i goto bed take it off in the morning and get about 16 hours out of the battery and its not even usually dead by then on a very busy P25 system

blackbelter

Thanks to Ray , I received a replacement battery for My G5 . The unit is working well and battery is holding its charge .
Thanks Ray for your quick response.

blackbelter

Well my jubilation with the new battery did not last long as the pager reverted back to not being turned on . The new battery showed fully charged and the pager worked properly for few days however after turning it off one evening the next day would not turn back on . Pulling the battery will give your temporary relief but goes back to same after few hours or days .
Now the top 3 lights on the pager is on .
I have checked the charging connectors inside the pager , bottom of the pager as well as the amplified charger and they all straight and not bent .
Contacted The dealer for pager as well as the charger to be RMA.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.