• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

G5 How to Scan and Alert? - Conventional

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cudgel

Premium Subscriber
Hi,

Our dept uses the G5 P25 Conventional...we are trying to figure out something we thought was "basic"...how to have the pagers alert from one of the can modes. Basically we have several groups we alert based on need, but many of the department scan channels to be aware of other traffic.

Does anyone know good resources to figure this kind of stuff out?

Thanks!

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
While i have not set up the pager function i will caution you that you significantly increase your chances of missing an alert when trying to use scan and alert features. Alert features requires the pager to RX the channel and tones and if your scanning you risk missing the beginning of the tone out which will now open the device to traffic. Unfortunately anytime you need to rely on a channel with tones in it you need to leave it on just that channel.

Cudgel

Premium Subscriber
This is excellent advice. Hard to move backwards from our 20 year old pagers but you are correct it is appearing to be a feature not available on Unification pagers. We will have to train people to use their brains.

RBMTS

Pagers will need to be on the 1.3 version of firmware for P25 conventional two-tone paging (conventional two-tone P25 paging did not work on 1.2).
You'll need to setup a switch position for each frequency, just as you would a conventional analog channel. Select the "Binding Feature" to be a sub-group setting. Then select your sub-group functions (for the tones). There are many guides and YouTube videos that will show you how to do this.

Want to scan the various channels? Simply create a new switch position for a conventional scan function. Select / include the switch positions with the individual frequency personalities.

Cudgel

Premium Subscriber
Pagers will need to be on the 1.3 version of firmware for P25 conventional two-tone paging (conventional two-tone P25 paging did not work on 1.2).
You'll need to setup a switch position for each frequency, just as you would a conventional analog channel. Select the "Binding Feature" to be a sub-group setting. Then select your sub-group functions (for the tones). There are many guides and YouTube videos that will show you how to do this.

Want to scan the various channels? Simply create a new switch position for a conventional scan function. Select / include the switch positions with the individual frequency personalities.
Thank you very much...I had/have tried that...the problem is our dealer can't figure this out and the youtube videos don't actually account for this use case. When I set up the three knobs with each of the three frequencies using CSQ protocol I can see them in my "fourth scan knob"...but to bind the first knob to its alert features I need to use P25 Conventional protocol and then that knob (the one with the tone binding) is not visible in my scan list I'm trying to build.

So it looks like I can "scan" the knobs 1-3 if they are CSQ on knob 4, but I still can't figure out how to have the "scan knob" tone out the alerts if one comes in on "knob 1". I really appreciate the help...wish I could find the youtube videos of which you speak as I've spent many hours viewing the ones out there and reviewing the documentation such that it is.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Scan and PAGING as stated before is bad idea. What needs to be in the pager is DEPARTMENT frequency and capcodes.
This is what is in the best interest of the department. Doing anything else puts the department and the programmer at risk in case of failure.

Webodisk

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
I have noticed 1.3 will not scan a conventional P25 with 2 tone setup and a regular conventional P25 channel

Status
Not open for further replies.