• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

G5 internal antenna help

Status
Not open for further replies.

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
So the external antenna on the amplified charger is used for the internal antenna on the pager?

Yes. And since the amp charger has a BNC connector you can either use the included whip antenna or an external antenna on the charger.

blackbelter

Using my amplified charger and an RS 800 antenna, I experience an additional bar of reception on my G5.

Hit_Factor

Using my amplified charger and an RS 800 antenna, I experience an additional bar of reception on my G5.
Extra bar of signal for the 700/800 part or the 400-470 (not sure which model G5 you have) Since there is just one BNC, you might think it's for the primary 700/800 only. Additionally, since it's also for the single band chargers, the BNC is definitely for the primary band on those pagers.

The Remtronics is really bad on 400-470, that's additional evidence that the rear BNC is for the primary band.

My standard charging base has a BNC antenna connector, apparently both charging bases have it.

This post with pin outs indicates a single antenna input. G5 pin out. Also indicates RX/TX, my G5 doesn't TX as far as I know.

Maybe I'm missing something.

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
The antenna should be for both primary and sub bands on the pager. My amp charger is in the basement and I'm listening to UHF frequencies I can't hear inside my basement. So the antenna is definitely for VHF as well as UHF and 700/800.

Instead of looking at the bars on the pager, do an RF test and take a look at the RSSI on the control channel to see the improvement. If the bars are 10db each (for example, changing from -81 to -79 could be 1 bar. But.... -89 and in improvement to -71 would also be 1 bar in this example.

rogress

There has been some debate about that. I have experimented with the amplified charger, and I saw no difference with reception from the internal antenna and use of the amplified charge. (Tried both of my G5's, VHF/UHF and a 380Mhz/UHF). The amplified charge made no difference on the non-UHF bands. I think I'll do more testing - its been a while since I messed with it.

So the external antenna on the amplified charger is used for the internal antenna on the pager?

Last edited:

rogress

I played with my amplified charger again last night, using both of my G5s (VHF/UHF, 380/UHF). It makes no difference on reception on the VHF and 380 bands. I don't know, maybe my amplified charger is fubar, but for me it doesn't help at all. I did many tests, including a simple one where I tuned in the weakest NOAA weather channel. Plugging my rooftop antenna into the amplified charger made no difference.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I played with my amplified charger again last night, using both of my G5s (VHF/UHF, 380/UHF). It makes no difference on reception on the VHF and 380 bands. I don't know, maybe my amplified charger is fubar, but for me it doesn't help at all. I did many tests, including a simple one where I tuned in the weakest NOAA weather channel. Plugging my rooftop antenna into the amplified charger made no difference.

This is odd.
My G5 (VHF, 800) is basically deaf inside my home. That's on both the primary and secondary bands. The walls here are a steel mesh so I'm basically living inside a Faraday cage.

As soon as I hookup an outdoor antenna into the BNC jack on the amplified charging base, my G5 comes to life for conventional and P25 signals on both bands it receives. Without the amplified charging base here, my G5 would be mostly useless when used indoors here at home.

I have no idea why some don't see any difference. There must be a flaw in something that does not exist in all.
I'd done some testing with my G5 and it seems there may be some automatic antenna switching that occurs when the G5 is getting a signal through the external antenna contacts on the bottom of the pager. My tests showed that the secondary (VHF for me) band seemed to always be hooked to the contacts on the pager bottom but the primary band was not switched over until it saw a good or better signal from the external source. I was never able to confirm the above from Unication but that's what my testing revealed.
Unication has confirmed the amplified charging base does indeed route the RF from an external antenna attached to the charging base to whatever G series model is sitting in the charge base for both bands in a dual band model. I'm pretty sure one of the Unication reps posted that info here in this forum some time ago as well.

I can also hook the same outdoor antenna up to the G5's SMA connector and give the Primary band the same full 800 MHz signal that it sees when it is getting a signal through the BNC jack on the amplified charging base.

Another situation, I have an 800 MHz system here that I don't normally monitor that I can receive indoors on my G5 with three signal bars showing using the stock G5 antenna. Remove the stock antenna and the G5 goes into no signal mode. Attach the outdoor antenna to the charging base and the G5 comes back with full signal. The same is seen with all VHF signals here where the G5 is mostly deaf indoors behind the steel mesh in the walls.

Uni1

Unication Representative
Premium Subscriber
The amp charger boosts both bands. Has anyone tested the RSSI with and without the amp charger? What is picking up the VHF channel that the G5 isn't? Disconnect anything except the stock antenna that came with the amp charger and test.

Hit_Factor

The amp charger boosts both bands. Has anyone tested the RSSI with and without the amp charger? What is picking up the VHF channel that the G5 isn't? Disconnect anything except the stock antenna that came with the amp charger and test.
How about the non-amp charger? What does the external BNC boost?

Status
Not open for further replies.