• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

G5 Od behavior when powered off overnight

Status
Not open for further replies.

philcovington

Lighting 3 LED's uses much less power than having the OS running.

Yeah, but how is that justification for the bug in the first place? You said it was a bug, so I assume it was unintentional to leave the three LEDs on when the unit goes into a lower power mode.

You can see the humor in turning on all LEDs when the unit is supposed to drop into a low power mode, can't you?

Last edited:

cpetraglia

Mine either. I have had it 18 months on my second battery and all is good. Still missing that HOLD & DELAY feature !!

After reading back a little, I realized I reverted back to R11N2 a while ago, so I am not using R11P. Hence no problem with LEDs.

Last edited:

David_Oney

Former Unication Tech Support
Premium Subscriber
Yeah, but how is that justification for the bug in the first place? You said it was a bug, so I assume it was unintentional to leave the three LEDs on when the unit goes into a lower power mode.

You can see the humor in turning on all LEDs when the unit is supposed to drop into a low power mode, can't you?

This is a bug that only occurs when the unit goes through its full shutdown process approximately 2-3 hours after the knob is placed in the off position. I agree it is funny but after having to explain to anyone who reports this issue and i can tell you its a lot of people its gotten to be a bit old for me at least. I'm just ready for the fix to be implemented so i don't have to hear about it anymore. LOL

David_Oney

Premium Subscriber
Mine either. I have had it 18 months on my second battery and all is good. Still missing that HOLD & DELAY feature !!

After reading back a little, I realized I reverted back to R11N2 a while ago, so I am not using R11P. Hence no problem with LEDs.

I'm waiting for it to be implemented correctly. They added it in an Alpha release but it didn't work like you or I wanted it to so back to the drawing board. I am trying to get it implemented as quickly as possible.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
Thanks for all your help and your efforts to have things done right!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

pike63

Noticed this happening on the demo unit I have and was going to ask. But now I see it's a known issue and being worked on. Thank you for the work you guys are doing to make this pager even better

WILSON43

Premium Subscriber
Just received my brand new unit last week and I am having the same issue. Am I to assume there still is not a fix for this issue?

Also, is the re-boot issue when turning back on tied to the LED situation?

This is an excellent device on many fronts, but not too encouraging to see it is taking this long for a fix.

Jimco

This is an excellent device on many fronts, but not too encouraging to see it is taking this long for a fix.

I personally consider the LED situation to be a really small issue. I don't know how many volts these LEDs draw, but I suspect it's minuscule.

As for how long the fix is taking, this is just one of many issues addressed in the firmware I'm sure. It wouldn't be cost efficient to roll out a new firmware and PPS for every single bug fix, so you're essentially waiting on them to get everything done that is slated for this firmware release.

That's the way software works. :)

pike63

Noticed something. I have a couple of G5's here and from what I see the firmware is the same. But one suffers with the problem of the LED's being on and a reboot after being powered off over night and the other one does not. If it's a firmware issue why does this happen?

Jimco

Noticed something. I have a couple of G5's here and from what I see the firmware is the same. But one suffers with the problem of the LED's being on and a reboot after being powered off over night and the other one does not. If it's a firmware issue why does this happen?

Do you happen to have one of them on a charger?

pike63

Nope, I can just turn both off and leave them over night. One will have the 3 LEDs on in the morning and when you turn it on it has rebooted but then other no LEDs on and it turns right on like you would think it should work. Makes me wonder if there is something different in the hardware

Jimco

David, I notice with the new firmware that the pager appears to not enter the low-power state. I left mine off for 7 hours and when I turned it back on, it did not go through a cold start. Is this expected?

Jim

k3sls

Premium Subscriber
Read the release notes that accompanied the firmware package!!!

New Device and Programming Software Release
With the new device software (V0.93.017 I R00) and programming software (R0.3.9 R02) a number of enhancements have been added.
The enhancements are:
1. Added new paging functionality for QCII over P25 Selecitve Call and Monitor Modes
2. Voice Memo can be disabled in programming software.
3. Out of Range audible alert can be disabled (still displayed on display) in programming software.
4. Unread Message Alert has been added for Voice Messages that have been stored and not read.
5. Ability to convert G4 files to a G5 file.
6. Call Alert is enabled

The bug fixes are:
1. With R11P SW- Non-alerting TGIDs will no longer vibrate when the Selector Knob setting is set to Vibrate Mode.
2. With R11P SW-When pager is in deep discharge it will not charge unless the battery is removed and re-inserted. This hads been fixed.
3. With R11P SW-When pager is off and transitions to ultra low power mode the 3 LEDS go on and eventually go off when the pager is fully charged. This has been fixed.

David_Oney

Premium Subscriber
David, I notice with the new firmware that the pager appears to not enter the low-power state. I left mine off for 7 hours and when I turned it back on, it did not go through a cold start. Is this expected?

Jim

This can happen. Shouldn't be an issue if it causes a problem let me know and i will have engineering look into it.

Jimco

Read the release notes that accompanied the firmware package!!!
The bug fixes are:
3. With R11P SW-When pager is off and transitions to ultra low power mode the 3 LEDS go on and eventually go off when the pager is fully charged. This has been fixed.

I read that, but as you can see, it doesn't describe what the new behavior is. It simply says that the LEDs will not illuminate. My question was whether or not the pager not entering a low-power mode and requiring a cold start is expected.

I'm guessing you didn't read my post. :)

k3sls

Premium Subscriber
I read that, but as you can see, it doesn't describe what the new behavior is. It simply says that the LEDs will not illuminate. My question was whether or not the pager not entering a low-power mode and requiring a cold start is expected.

I'm guessing you didn't read my post. :)

I did read your post, but apparently you haven't read the archived material related to this subject. The behavior of this radio should be (and now is) to power on in the scan state. Cold starts should only occur when you load the radio with a profile/firmware, reset the radio via button combo, or do a battery pull.

Status
Not open for further replies.