• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

G5 Od behavior when powered off overnight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tidalwave

PM Sent.

Just for others on here: I do not use the stand. It's happened twice to me. Once when fully charged and once when down to 1 bar. It does not happen every night. Both times I was able to turn it on and it worked just fine.

philcovington

I noticed when my G5 does this, when I turn power on, the G5 "reboots" like it does when you have updated it with the programming software (the ...... screen shows up).

It looks like the G5 runs an OS and the OS is embedded linux. It might be that the linux OS crashes and needs to reboot. Why all the LEDs turn on, I don't know...

This is how I determined that the G5 is running linux: On a linux machine (haven't tried it on a Windows machine), the G5 shows up as an Ethernet interface when connected via the USB cable. My particular G5 has an IP address of 10.10.0.6. It also appears that you can SSH into the G5 if you know the username and password (which I do not).

To verify that the G5 is running linux, you can use the nmap utility's OS detection feature on your linux PC:

>sudo nmap -O 10.10.0.6

this is the result:

Starting Nmap 7.01 ( https://nmap.org ) at 2017-01-19 11:48 EST
Nmap scan report for 10.10.0.6
Host is up (0.000010s latency).
Not shown: 998 closed ports
PORT STATE SERVICE
22/tcp open ssh
8200/tcp open trivnet1
Device type: general purpose
Running: Linux 3.X
OS CPE: cpe:/o:linux:linux_kernel:3
OS details: Linux 3.12 - 3.19, Linux 3.8 - 3.19
Network Distance: 0 hops

So it looks like the G5 is using a Linux 3.X kernel and the SSH port 22 is open...

On my machine doing an
>ifconfig

the G5 shows up as:

enp0s20u7 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr be:6e:3b:3e:6f:6b
inet addr:10.10.0.6 Bcast:10.10.255.255 Mask:255.255.0.0
inet6 addr: fe80::28a3:e00a:3adf:d029/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:2 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:127 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:594 (594.0 B) TX bytes:25988 (25.9 KB)

You can ping the G5 too:

ping 10.10.0.6
PING 10.10.0.6 (10.10.0.6) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 10.10.0.6: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.027 ms
64 bytes from 10.10.0.6: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.046 ms
64 bytes from 10.10.0.6: icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=0.024 ms

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
I like it. It means we have a sensitive receiver that works well on P25 and CQPSK with Linux OS resources for future expansion. I see reference to DMR in the programming software, so hopefully that will be next after P25 Phase II.

pdaustin

I just bought a G5 a few days ago and after charging full using usb and no cable connected with power off within a few hours around 5 or 7 or so I get this as well. I emailed tech. support today regarding this. The radio works fine otherwise.

doctordave

Add me to the list of people with this issue. The radio reboots when fired up and works normally.

BBRC_Brent

Some reason I can not send a PM. Please contact me and I will supply my serial number.
Brand new to me and does it about every 4-5 hours it is turned off.

pdaustin

I was emailed by Tech. Support stating it was a known issue caused by last firmware update and they are working on it and should hopefully be resolved by end of March firmware update!

David_Oney

Former Unication Tech Support
Premium Subscriber
As many of you know the G4/G5 has 3 power modes on, soft power down, and hard power down. When this issue occurs a unit in soft power down mode to go into hard power down mode and then indicates that change with the lights. We implemented the hard power down in the last release it is merely the indicator lights that is the issue. We are trying to extend battery life in all states it is better to leave your device off and then discover that it is fully powered down than to leave it off to return and find that your device's battery is completely dead.

ffexpCP

wizard of odd
Database Admin
Interesting about the power state modes.

I just had mine alert for a page. It was in the amp charger, volume/power knob was clicked off. Take it out, and it appears off. I turn it on, it appears to 'boot'. And I know I'm not nuts because the message was stored and I can play it back.

Any ideas? I'm seriously about to send this thing back.

Edit- further info for troubleshooting: It was in VHF/tone mode. Amp charger did not trip relay output / LED.

alpha2disp

Mine is brand new and doing it after being turned off for a few hours. Every time. Not sure why.

d68028e513429926a1185616f786bc0d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David_Oney

Former Unication Tech Support
Premium Subscriber
As many of you know the G4/G5 has 3 power modes on, soft power down, and hard power down. When this issue occurs a unit in soft power down mode to go into hard power down mode and then indicates that change with the lights. We implemented the hard power down in the last release it is merely the indicator lights that is the issue. We are trying to extend battery life in all states it is better to leave your device off and then discover that it is fully powered down than to leave it off to return and find that your device's battery is completely dead.

See my answer above... this issue is resolved in some alpha releases that i'm working on. This is a bug in R11P release and occurs when the unit switches power modes. Its simply a visual indication.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
See my answer above... this issue is resolved in some alpha releases that i'm working on. This is a bug in R11P release and occurs when the unit switches power modes. Its simply a visual indication.

I hope this resolves the issues I had with some G4s. (Which have been sent back, on RMA.)

Sent via Tapatalk

alpha2disp

Thanks David.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

philcovington

Having all LEDs stuck on is not exactly a low power mode! LOL!

Is there any progress on getting this fixed?

Status
Not open for further replies.