• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

G5 Od behavior when powered off overnight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimco

I did read your post, but apparently you haven't read the archived material related to this subject. The behavior of this radio should be (and now is) to power on in the scan state. Cold starts should only occur when you load the radio with a profile/firmware, reset the radio via button combo, or do a battery pull.

That's not what has been said previously. David's previous response said that this particular bug was simply an indicator issue when the radio went into ultra low-power mode after being in the Off position for 2-3 hours. There has never been a mention that the radio going into ultra low-power mode was a bug.

I'm not sure why you're getting bent over this. I asked. David answered. Let's move on.

k3sls

Premium Subscriber
That's not what has been said previously. David's previous response said that this particular bug was simply an indicator issue when the radio went into ultra low-power mode after being in the Off position for 2-3 hours. There has never been a mention that the radio going into ultra low-power mode was a bug.

I'm not sure why you're getting bent over this. I asked. David answered. Let's move on.

I'm not bent! It's just pretty obvious that people are not reading the release notes, nor do they bother to do any research on the history of issues/resolution. Laziness maybe? The result is repetitive, duplicate posts. And I think I detect that frustration in some of David's responses.

But yes, let's move on…and to all…make use of the search features, read the documentation, use the tools available.

Jimco

I have read every post and I clearly understand the issue. Here is what David said:

"As many of you know the G4/G5 has 3 power modes on, soft power down, and hard power down. When this issue occurs a unit in soft power down mode to go into hard power down mode and then indicates that change with the lights. We implemented the hard power down in the last release it is merely the indicator lights that is the issue. We are trying to extend battery life in all states it is better to leave your device off and then discover that it is fully powered down than to leave it off to return and find that your device's battery is completely dead."

He then said:

"This is a bug in R11P release and occurs when the unit switches power modes. Its simply a visual indication."

This was followed by:

"This is a bug that only occurs when the unit goes through its full shutdown process approximately 2-3 hours after the knob is placed in the off position."

So for anyone who has read this, it is painfully clear that the unit going into this shutdown phase is completely normal and expected. It is the lighting of all three LEDs that was unexpected and a bug.

After installation of the new firmware, the three LEDs no longer illuminate, but the unit also does not enter the ultra low-power mode that, as per David, is expected when the knob is in the Off position for 2-3 hours. Hence my question.

I really don't understand what's so complicated about that or why you insist on calling me lazy when it is clearly you who has misunderstood.

This forum is quickly devolving into the "gotcha" environment that plagues so many other forums. Sad.

k3sls

Premium Subscriber
I have read every post and I clearly understand the issue. Here is what David said:

"As many of you know the G4/G5 has 3 power modes on, soft power down, and hard power down. When this issue occurs a unit in soft power down mode to go into hard power down mode and then indicates that change with the lights. We implemented the hard power down in the last release it is merely the indicator lights that is the issue. We are trying to extend battery life in all states it is better to leave your device off and then discover that it is fully powered down than to leave it off to return and find that your device's battery is completely dead."

He then said:

"This is a bug in R11P release and occurs when the unit switches power modes. Its simply a visual indication."

This was followed by:

"This is a bug that only occurs when the unit goes through its full shutdown process approximately 2-3 hours after the knob is placed in the off position."

So for anyone who has read this, it is painfully clear that the unit going into this shutdown phase is completely normal and expected. It is the lighting of all three LEDs that was unexpected and a bug.

After installation of the new firmware, the three LEDs no longer illuminate, but the unit also does not enter the ultra low-power mode that, as per David, is expected when the knob is in the Off position for 2-3 hours. Hence my question.

I really don't understand what's so complicated about that or why you insist on calling me lazy when it is clearly you who has misunderstood.

This forum is quickly devolving into the "gotcha" environment that plagues so many other forums. Sad.

The laziness statement was a generalization and eluded to the numerous questions of "what's included in this update". Clearly, many didn't bother to read a very short document.

But, yes, let's move on!

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
OP, here. The issue of the LED's being turned on overnight has been remedied with the latest firmware, V0.93-0.17l-R00. Thank you Unication!

pike63

Still would like to know why I have a G5 that has the LED issue and another that does not but they both have the same firmware. Also wonder if somebody can explain the power states. Read about the unit having these but would think on and off would be it. Not sure why after a few hours it is doing anything else

Jimco

Still would like to know why I have a G5 that has the LED issue and another that does not but they both have the same firmware. Also wonder if somebody can explain the power states. Read about the unit having these but would think on and off would be it. Not sure why after a few hours it is doing anything else

As I understand it, the ultra-low power state is designed to save power. However, with the new firmware, it never enters this state. I'm a little confused too, but I dropped it. :)

David_Oney

Former Unication Tech Support
Premium Subscriber
The 3 power states come from our unreleased U3 portable. The G4/G5 was built on the same platform. The power modes were created for PD so that if the unit were to be powered down in a scuffle with an assailant that the unit could be quickly powered on rather than having to run through the full boot procedure.

pike63

David can you tell me why I know of 3 G5 pagers that have the same firmware but only one of them suffers from the LED's being on after unit being off for a few hours? All three are still on the old firmware, R11P

David_Oney

Former Unication Tech Support
Premium Subscriber
David can you tell me why I know of 3 G5 pagers that have the same firmware but only one of them suffers from the LED's being on after unit being off for a few hours? All three are still on the old firmware, R11P
I dont know why. I do know that it was intermittent and this is why I didn't catch it early. All units should have the same hardware we haven't made any changes.

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
I had left my radio running a couple days and the battery died. I finally charged it today. And it won't turn on. I have one red light and 2 orange lights. I have had it charged for 2 hours so far and it won't turn on and the lights are still red and orange.

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
I had left my radio running a couple days and the battery died. I finally charged it today. And it won't turn on. I have one red light and 2 orange lights. I have had it charged for 2 hours so far and it won't turn on and the lights are still red and orange.

After charging it for a few hours, it finally worked again. I guess the battery was completely drained.

WB6WQF

Premium Subscriber
Sorry to resurrect a thread that has been dormant for nearly 8 months, but I have a brand new G5 and noticed two instances where the power LED acts strange. The first instance is when the unit is powered on and receiving. On occasion the power LED will blink once every several minutes. This will continue as long as the unit is powered on. The second instance is when the power switch is turned off. Here, the power LED will blink once every now and then and finally stop. This is not the same problem discussed above but could be related. Any ideas?

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
Sorry to resurrect a thread that has been dormant for nearly 8 months, but I have a brand new G5 and noticed two instances where the power LED acts strange. The first instance is when the unit is powered on and receiving. On occasion the power LED will blink once every several minutes. This will continue as long as the unit is powered on. The second instance is when the power switch is turned off. Here, the power LED will blink once every now and then and finally stop. This is not the same problem discussed above but could be related. Any ideas?

I have noticed both situations with mine, but I believe it is normal operation. The first is a programming option where the red LED will blink "x" seconds when powered on. I think default may have been 120 seconds. I have also seen the LED blink a little while after I powered the unit off. I attributed it to the unit was still cycling down internally and did not think it was a problem.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
I have noticed both situations with mine, but I believe it is normal operation. The first is a programming option where the red LED will blink "x" seconds when powered on. I think default may have been 120 seconds.

Thank you! I assumed this was an anomaly, but I checked my profile and found this "feature".

WB6WQF

Premium Subscriber
The first is a programming option where the red LED will blink "x" seconds when powered on. I think default may have been 120 seconds..

It's under "Pager Configuration Setting", "LED Setting", "Standby LED:", "Enable", "Blinking Interval". I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't see that "feature" after several times through PPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.