• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

G5 P25 Conventional Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtech48

Premium Subscriber
Just received my G5 yesterday and having an issue with a UHF P25 frequency.
I programmed in 484.350 along with the correct NAC and P25 Talkgroup of 1 (Verified with scanner and using the digital sq method) and I am unable to receive audio on that frequency, yet the signal bars light up and if I move it around (as if looking for signal) it will cut in and out but will sound like the signal strength is poor yet my scanner picks it up perfectly from the same location. I dont know what other option I can try or if this is something that's known to happen.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
If you have to move it around for it to pass garbled audio then you may have interference on that channel causing the digitial signal to be messed up.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
This may not be part of your issue, but keep in mind the G5 uses an internal antenna for V/UHF and not the "whip".

jtech48

Premium Subscriber
This may not be part of your issue, but keep in mind the G5 uses an internal antenna for V/UHF and not the "whip".

I was going through the threads here and read the one talking about the antenna and I'm pretty sure that's the answer. I wasn't aware it was an internal antenna handling the UHF band

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Yes, UHF uses the internal loop antenna. 7/800 uses the external. I've confirmed this monitoring UHF P25 and 7/800 P25 trunked systems. I'm told the Base unit antenna works off the internal loop but have not personally confirmed that.

Also you can set the talkgroup ID to FFF and see if that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Take the G5 into the area where the signal is originated from and see if you receive audio.

doctordave

An interesting observation.... I drove through Baltimore City yesterday and tested the G5 against my Uniden 536 for monitoring of a 700mhz conventional digital frequency - AIR60, which is the state's medevac dispatch/coordination channel. The G5 copied beautifully while positioned fairly near the Xmitter tower - as did the 536. As I drove some distance away, the 536 continued to decode nicely - but the G5 decoded poorly. Surprising. I'm going to do some more conventional channel testing and see if this is replicated. When it comes to monitoring Phase One systems, the Unication devices are the best thing to come along since peanut butter. I really do not anticipate using the Unications for conventional monitoring....my regular scanners handle that just fine.....but these test findings are curious. Will post more after additional testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.