• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

G5 priority option

Status
Not open for further replies.

KI5UFO

Premium Subscriber
I won’t be considering getting one or a few of these till probably a good year in the future, but I do have one question. The priority function, does it act just like a run of the mill scanner as when you have a priority channel, and have that momentary skip in audio when it checks for any transmissions on the channel that was setup for priority?

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
in PPS you have Priority and Non Priority areas for talkgroups and then Priority is based on sort order i.e. higher up the list is a higher priority

it works as a system radio in priority respect, it does not pause to check, if there is traffic on a higher priority talkgroup it will immediately go to it

N6ML

It depends if you're talking about scanning conventional systems or a P25 trunked system.

For conventional systems, PPS describes:

● Priority Channel
  • Definition
    Selects a priority channel from the Scan List. When the pager is actively scanning a Scan List, 50% of the scans are targeted at the Priority Channel.
  • Options
    you can choose 1 channel as priority channel from the Scan List.
● Priority Sampling
  • Definition
    Enables the priority sampling feature in Priority Scan. This sampling is needed when the pager is landing on a normal channel in the scan list and checking for a Priority Channel transmission. When the sampling occurs, the pager briefly mutes potentially causing brief interruptions in the pager's receive audio.
  • PRIORITY SAMPLING LIMITATION
    Priority sampling means the periodic peek in the priority channel when voice is being received from the landed channel. By nature, there are limitations for this feature.
    1. When landing in analog channel, pager can only sampling a priority analog channel, DVOA channel and P25 channel.
    2. When landing in DMR channel, pager can only sampling a priority DVOA channel and P25 channel.

For P25 trunked systems, "scanning" is a bit of a misnomer. It doesn't actually scan, but monitors control traffic for activity on any of the talkgroups in your list. It can do this even when receiving a voice message (without leaving the voice channel, so no interruption), and can immediately switch to a different voice channel when it sees activity on a (higher) priority channel.

KI5UFO

Premium Subscriber
Thats what I was curious about. Coming around these radios are starting to give me an itch to get a handful one for each band and 2 for 7/800 band so Im sure the wife might kill me. That momentary skip in transmission always got me but it is what it is. I do appreciate the help.

Hit_Factor

These don't scan between vhf and then 700-800 p25 for example. You will have to switch the knob or zone manually to do that.

Each G5 will need it's own profile for programming. Its difficult to share data between profiles. It's very easy to over write the sub band data if you are working with multiple pagers with different model numbers (each sub band is a different model number).

Maybe you are aware of all this.

KI5UFO

Premium Subscriber
Yes I’ve gone over some of the specs and that’s one of the things I don’t particularly like, but I see why it was done. If I’m not killed for the idea by my other half I want to get all 4 models of the g2 and 2 of the G4’s so I can monitor 90% of the frequencies. I unfortunately know that only one system can be monitored at a time hence the 2 G4’s. I’m military so normally they have their own system and the city/county I’m located in have their own so I’d be able to monitor both. Jow for the programming portion it might take a minute but I see how things could be overwritten. I tend to triple check my work on that as even programming my trx series scanners I’ve made a few mistakes so I know to go back over my work before I load it in. One question I do have are with the text message capabilities of these pagers. Does the system I monitor have to send these out and will these pick it up if I don’t have a certain station or zone designated for the pager? Not a deal breaker but just curious as these devices have the capabilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.