G5 Railroad Programming

danc107

Premium Subscriber
Morning everyone, I was looking for help programming my local railroad to my scanner or any other scanner i have, when i look on rr the licenses show nothing which makes me think they dont use those frequencies anymore but i cant seem to find them anywhere else. I am looking for the Long Island Railroad.

Thanks all
Dan

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Yes and i understand those are freight but does it also have the regular train service?

The LIRR listings are all passenger, NYA is freight.

Lirr passenger traffic is heard on the freqs posted above by @Whiskey3JMC All freight contracts are done by NYA. You will see some Lirr diesels moving stuff here and there and may even see Lirr pulling Ringling Brothers again one day over by Garden City.

danc107

Premium Subscriber
Lirr passenger traffic is heard on the freqs posted above by @Whiskey3JMC All freight contracts are done by NYA. You will see some Lirr diesels moving stuff here and there and may even see Lirr pulling Ringling Brothers again one day over by Garden City.
Dave i see you are from Suffolk, do you monitor LIRR? I have a Uniden BC350A im trying to listen on, maybe i am too far away? I am located in Sayville

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I am in Islip Terrace with a Discone and receive them on the weak side. Think my ant needs to go higher but it has a clear shot to Babylon Yard whish is where I believe I hear them from. I may try to hook up the amp to the discone tomorrow for kicks.

There are 3 yagis at Ronkonkoma yard with 2 facing West and one facing East. Might take a ride over there and see what if any freqs they are transmitting on. Might do the same with Babylon. I know I logged a few pl tones not listed in the db last summer but cant find them. Also believe I logged a tone for NY & A over in Farmingdale.

1678673127089.png

They have a few antenna at Babylon and a dish (facing West) but I have not seen an yagis there, yet.

1678673575743.png

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I am not familiar with the specs on the antenna that comes with that radio but do know an antenna tuned to the freqs of interest should do a better job. I am also not sure (yet) if any transmissions take place at Ronkonkoma but do know they do in Babylon yard in West Islip.

Do you have any other antennas and do you ever, (even tho its not legal in NY) take that scaner in the car? Mine goes everywhere I go. Next time you're anywhere near Higbie Lane, Rt 231 and Union Blvd, you should definitely hear something and that would rule out any programming errors and indicate more of a range / reception problem.

Also, how close to the tracks are you?

k2hz

Database Admin
N
is it normal im not getting anything on this? @dave3825
Not specific to the LIRR, but railroad radio communications are generally not on repeaters and the dispatcher base stations are typically located along the right of way about every 20 miles or less and directional antennas frequently used. The dispatcher communications are usually only over the tower closest to the train and not broadcast system wide. So, with a hand held scanner indoors reception of trains would usually be 5 miles or less and maybe 10 miles for the base stations. Also, main line passenger operations generally don't have much voice activity unless there is a problem situation to be resolved. Train movements are controlled by PTC and the timetable so no need to talk to the dispatcher as long as things are running smoothly. Train crew communications and most yard operations are on portables that can only be heard over a short distance. In some cases, repeaters are used for yard operations so portables can be heard throughout the yard but the repeater itself is generally low power.

Unless you have a good outdoor antenna, you often won't hear much unless you are trackside with a handheld.

danc107

Premium Subscriber
I am not familiar with the specs on the antenna that comes with that radio but do know an antenna tuned to the freqs of interest should do a better job. I am also not sure (yet) if any transmissions take place at Ronkonkoma but do know they do in Babylon yard in West Islip.

Do you have any other antennas and do you ever, (even tho its not legal in NY) take that scaner in the car? Mine goes everywhere I go. Next time you're anywhere near Higbie Lane, Rt 231 and Union Blvd, you should definitely hear something and that would rule out any programming errors and indicate more of a range / reception problem.

Also, how close to the tracks are you?
About 5 minutes from Ronk and Sayville eachway

BFD319

Feed Provider
LIRR TRAIN CH.1 (TRAIN TO TOWER)160.38CSQ160.38151.4
LIRR TRAIN CH.2 (204) MOVEMENT TO JAMAICA161.445CSQ161.445151.4
LIRR TRAIN CH.3 (TRAINS/TOWERS EAST OF HICKSVILLE161.265CSQ161.265151.4
LIRR TRAIN CH.4 (TRAIN ANNOUNCEMENTS)161.535CSQ161.535151.4

k2hz

Database Admin
Are those belonging to LIRR? Quick search on NY Railroads page did not show those associated with LIRR. I did not dive deep.

Only activity I got this am was on 160.380 & 161.535
160.830 should be LIRR Babylon Yard per FCC. 161.220 is MTA Police and 161.505 is BMT Subway.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
160.830 should be LIRR Babylon Yard
Ah, that's AAR 48 and I missed all 3 listings NYS Rail page.

161.220 is MTA Police
Totally did not even look on the MTA page. Only listing on the NYS Rail page showed.

161.220BMCSQFGLK74 CanandiagRoad - Ch 3FMNRailroad

The third one, South Brooklyn Railway is owned by NY City and operated by the New York City Transit Authority and does not show any association to LIRR. I doubt any of us would receive that entity from out here on Long Island.

BARNEYR

LIRR TRAIN CH.1 (TRAIN TO TOWER)160.38CSQ160.38151.4
LIRR TRAIN CH.2 (204) MOVEMENT TO JAMAICA161.445CSQ161.445151.4
LIRR TRAIN CH.3 (TRAINS/TOWERS EAST OF HICKSVILLE161.265CSQ161.265151.4
LIRR TRAIN CH.4 (TRAIN ANNOUNCEMENTS)161.535CSQ161.535151.4
These are what you want to listen to. Train ch 1 & 3 is what you will hear most things on. Train ch 2 is whats used for trains to talk to the Movement Bureau in Jamica. Train ch 4 is whats used in yards for operations. None of them are repeated.